Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 04:21 PM

591 posts, read 782,579 times

Advertisements

Some people on the forums (specifically Chicago vs New York) say that one city has an advantage over another because of its placement on a specific body of water. (I know, being on the ocean give New York the advantage of being a major port city, but im talking about living there, the benefits of it/skyline feel)

For example, Chicago vs New York is a popular one i hear many people say "i would rather live on the ocean than the lake" like the lake is a dirty mud hole. other countries dump plenty of waste into the oceans, but that aside, Lake Michigan is quite dirty i do admit, but its not as bad as it used to be.

When I was in New York (manManhattan), i actually felt like i was on a smaller body of water because of the bay. in Chicago there is nothing restricting the views of all the water. besides you cant see the other side anyway. plus, you can see the vast body of water from any lake shore community, not just the north of south side

What are your thoughts on the topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,215,930 times
I prefer the ocean, and New York City as a city over Chicago. That said, Chicago is cool for other reasons and I like is skyline better than NYC's. I also like the lake beaches because some of them are beautiful: warm water in summer, calm (for kids) and often times a beautiful periwinkle color. No worries about sharks and the like.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:31 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,710,889 times
The ocean, although Lake Michigan is extremely beautiful.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:37 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
I think Lake Michigan looks a lot prettier and more inviting than the murky looking waters that surround NYC, at least in summer. Though even with that being said in most cases I prefer the ocean over a large lake.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:41 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think Lake Michigan looks a lot prettier and more inviting than the murky looking waters that surround NYC, at least in summer. Though even with that being said in most cases I prefer the ocean over a large lake.
Mmh, the Pacific in San Francisco is really not a drastically different color than beaches in Rockaway Beach, Long Beach NY, etc although I agree Lake Michigan can be a prettier hue than both.

Rockaway Beach from nycgovpaks.org

As for this topic I would say Chicago takes more advantage of it's location on a major body of water. The beaches in NYC are far out in Queens, although accessible by Subway which is cool. Chicago is RIGHT on the water. But at the end of the day, I would rather live close to an Ocean.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-12-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,905,951 times
The Ocean because of some of the marine life that can be found. Now if we're comparing the Chicago beaches vs NYC then I would go with Chicago. Chicago does an awesome job when it comes to making the beaches accessible to residents. NYC for all of its glory could do a better job with the waterfront.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Mmh, the Pacific near San Francisco is really not a drastically different color than beaches in Rockaway Park Beach, Long Beach NY, etc although I agree Lake Michigan can be a prettier hue than both.
I know, I don't really care for the ocean around here either. Even when it does have a nice, inviting looking hue to it, it is anything but that; freezing and/or too dangerous with the waves and rip currents.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Some people on the forums (specifically Chicago vs New York) say that one city has an advantage over another because of its placement on a specific body of water. (I know, being on the ocean give New York the advantage of being a major port city, but im talking about living there, the benefits of it/skyline feel)

For example, Chicago vs New York is a popular one i hear many people say "i would rather live on the ocean than the lake" like the lake is a dirty mud hole. other countries dump plenty of waste into the oceans, but that aside, Lake Michigan is quite dirty i do admit, but its not as bad as it used to be.

When I was in New York (manManhattan), i actually felt like i was on a smaller body of water because of the bay. in Chicago there is nothing restricting the views of all the water. besides you cant see the other side anyway. plus, you can see the vast body of water from any lake shore community, not just the north of south side

What are your thoughts on the topic?
Well, in Manhattan you were on a smaller body of water. It isn't until you hit the outer boroughs that you will see open ocean.

Manhattan being directly oceanfront rather than Brooklyn and Queens would probably not be a good idea considering flooding and storm surges. Had Manhattan been Atlantic City, say, during Sandy, the city would have been more screwed than it was, if that is even possible (but nowhere was more screwed in Sandy than New Jersey), especially if Manhattan was somehow transported to the direct beachfront barrier island location of Ortley Beach or Mantoloking, NJ… it would not have been good. So I'm actually glad Manhattan is on a smaller body of water, it's into the harbor where it is more protected. Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a lake like Chicago you will not see the kind of devastation from storms as you would oceanfront during a hurricane… I assume there is a reason Chicago's skyline is directly lakefront while NYC's is not directly oceanfront.

I much prefer the ocean, this is probably no secret as I've vocalized this a lot of similar threads. I understand that the Great Lakes are more than "just lakes" because of their size but they still are lakes. They are landlocked freshwater bodies of water. They are beautiful, but I love the true openness of the ocean and the salty breezes you get at the beach. I love when the salty air leaves residue on your car if it spends enough time parked at the beach. I love marine life (seeing dolphins is always one of my favorite parts of the beach experience, as well as the occasional whale if you're lucky!) and seagulls… it's all part of the experience. I don't know, as someone who has experienced both and is used to the ocean, I couldn't imagine not having it nearby.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
I like the ocean more, but I like the water-side property in Chicago more than NYC. Both are fantastic cities

Old 05-12-2014, 07:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I much prefer the ocean, this is probably no secret as I've vocalized this a lot of similar threads. I understand that the Great Lakes are more than "just lakes" because of their size but they still are lakes. They are landlocked freshwater bodies of water. They are beautiful, but I love the true openness of the ocean and the salty breezes you get at the beach. nearby.
People often think Chicago is called the windy city because it's really windy. In reality Manhattan is just as windy, but the shores of Chicago used to be a vacation spot in the 1800s and early 1900s and people often wrote about the great breezes. Not salty breezes, but the ones that come off the lake in the summer are actually quite nice. I am through and through an ocean person, but standing on a beach in Chicago (or just anywhere on the coastline just about), it looks endless. You can not see the other side at all unless you're on the far south side and look towards Indiana (which just looks like a wrap around coastline anyway which it is). Most other beaches you don't get that really. There's obvious differences like the ocean usually has larger waves and salt water but in terms of expansiveness from looking out - it looks like it could be an ocean (i.e. http://www.summerofandy.com/wp-conte...****-beach.jpg)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City