Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The Cowboys-Redskins Rivalry is legendary. When I'm up in DC visiting relatives during Thanksgiving, I have cousins who walk into my uncle's house with their Cowboys jerseys (and they've never been to Texas a day in their life), and he struts around in his Redskins paraphernalia. Curse words fly back and forth too. And the Eagles fans in my family come in and go off only the way Eagles fans can
They absolutely hate Cowboy fans that's never been to Texas. They don't mind the Cowboy fans FROM Texas. But the ones that never been to Dallas let alone Texas, they do not care for them at all. It makes me laugh. I wonder if they realize the amount of Redskin fans throughout the nation that's never been to DC, the state of Maryland, or the state or commonwelth of Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 12:48 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They absolutely hate Cowboy fans that's never been to Texas. They don't mind the Cowboy fans FROM Texas. But the ones that never been to Dallas let alone Texas, they do not care for them at all. It makes me laugh. I wonder if they realize the amount of Redskin fans throughout the nation that's never been to DC, the state of Maryland, or the state or commonwelth of Virginia.

That's their main argument when they get into it. And they've been having this "fight" for the last 15-20 years, LOL.

Also, I found this pamphlet lying around, and posted it on my Facebook page as well as texting a few Redskins fans I know. Since they know I'm a Cowboys fan, let's just say they weren't too happy :

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs002.snc3/10968_623579055643_23218281_37238171_6901751_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-14-2010, 03:00 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The keyword is THE DALLAS COWBOYS nobody outside of Houston really cares about the Houston Texans. Even the city of Houston is filled with Cowboys fans. The Cowboys are just one of those rare franchises that extend well beyond its media market. There are Cowboys fans everywhere. They even have Cowboys Pro sports stores all over the country. The Texans will never be as respected as the 2nd richest sports franchise in the world. Truth be told most people in DFW really don't think of Houston as much of a sports town. The only one to blame for Houston being a lousy sports town is Houston. Houston is too big of a metro to have sorry ownership and lack of fan supports for its professional sports team. Maybe if Houston actually put together some competitive teams than its neighbors to the north would respect them as a sports town.
1. How many world series appearances have the Texas Rangers made? 0. While, currently the Astros suck, at least they've actually been to the world series at least once.

2. How many championships have the Dallas Mavericks won? 0. Sure, they're competetive, but try winning a championship before talking about DFW as some glorified city of winners.

And the Rockets have seen better days, but have had a great season despite losing their star players. I wonder if the Mavs could pull off a winning recored without Dirk, and other players. I mean its not like they sucked, we beat Mav's twice, Celtics once, Lakers once, Jazz twice, Thunder twice, Tailblazers twice, Spurs twice, Nuggets once, etc. At the end of the season, Mav's are a really really good team, just without a championship, and the Rockets have a good season next year to look forward to, and will most likely be a contender.

3. How many championships has FC Dallas won? Wow, 15 seasons, and not a single championship? Last I checked, the Houston Dynamo had have had only 5 seasons, with 2 championships under the belt, and I'm postive they have the all time best winning record in the entire league.

4. Really can't say much about the Cowboys, because there are too many sensitive people on here, and the Houston Texans have kind of sucked until last season. Just looking forward to next season, looking like a playoff berth for 1st time in franchise history.

5. Houston has no NHL, and I don't watch hockey much, but all I found was that the Dallas Stars won the Stanley Cup in 1999.

Just sayin'.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The Cowboys-Redskins Rivalry is legendary. When I'm up in DC visiting relatives during Thanksgiving, I have cousins who walk into my uncle's house with their Cowboys jerseys (and they've never been to Texas a day in their life), and he struts around in his Redskins paraphernalia. Curse words fly back and forth too. And the Eagles fans in my family come in and go off only the way Eagles fans can

Go Birds!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I think thats a little extreme. Houston does have the Astros and Rockets and they do have quite a big local following. I wouldnt call Houston a lousy sports town, it just doesnt stand out as a great one to me.

However, Dallas is definately the better sports city.
You're forgetting the Houston Dynamo who are soon to have their brand spanking new stadium in downtown to make it a total of 3 pro sports teams in Downtown Houston.

Lets not forget Dallas lost its poor performing arena football team, the Dallas Desperados, which was also owned by Jerry Jones.

Houston is a sports city no matter how Dallasites may view it & at least all of their stadiums are inside the city limits.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:41 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You're forgetting the Houston Dynamo who are soon to have their brand spanking new stadium in downtown to make it a total of 3 pro sports teams in Downtown Houston.

Lets not forget Dallas lost its poor performing arena football team, the Dallas Desperados, which was also owned by Jerry Jones.

Houston is a sports city no matter how Dallasites may view it & at least all of their stadiums are inside the city limits.
Only one stadium isn't in Dallas, wow big deal!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Historically, I think your right, but your sources are from non-Texans.

In the modern times, Im not so sure. Ive never heard anybody talk negatively about Houston up here except the humidity and the traffic. I have heard a couple of people talk negatively about Dallas in Houston (pretentious and too formal), but I have written it off as an exception since most of the people Ive met in Houston have nothing bad to say about Dallas.

Were talking about Texas in 2010. Both of these places have too many people from other states and countries to be too hung up on that still.
The days of the "good ole' boys" may be over for both cities, but the rivalry still exists.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Only one stadium isn't in Dallas, wow big deal!
Uhh...make that two.

Rangers Stadium & Cowboys Stadium

Old 04-14-2010, 03:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Who cares? The stadiums are down the road 15 miles. Reliant Stadium is about that far from Downtown Houston. Its not like it stops people from going.

Youre the only person Ive seen get worked up because the Cowboys stadium in in Arlington. Its not like it stops people from going to the games.

I didnt say Houston didnt have sports teams to be proud of, but in my opinion Dallas (or DFW if it makes you feel better) has more to offer in the way of Sports than the Houston area.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Who cares? The stadiums are down the road 15 miles. Reliant Stadium is about that far from Downtown Houston. Its not like it stops people from going.

Youre the only person Ive seen get worked up because the Cowboys stadium in in Arlington.

I didnt say Houston didnt have sports teams to be proud of, but no, Dallas is a better sports city. Its not really subjective.
Reliant Stadium is exactly 7 miles from Downtown Houston by rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City