Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in, and is overall better?
New Jersey - Garden State 103 46.61%
Florida - "Sunshine" state 118 53.39%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,666 times

Advertisements

The main reason why people don't want to live in NJ is because of extremely high cost of living + high taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
California, Florida, Hawaii, Texas and Colorado Are the Most Popular States Where Americans Would Choose to Live

Here is what Americans prefer in this nationwide poll

Florida is #2 for where people want to move and live and New Jersey is not even on the list (top 15)
To be fair I don't know if this list is valid. But if it is, then all the naysayers of these states on C-D got some explaining to do.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design&Build View Post
Of course, Hawaii, Florida and California are gonna win the poll because it's warm with palm trees. People seem to think that living in a place like FL or CA is like being on a permanent vacation - and they're wrong. If you polled the people that actually live in FL, half of them would leave for NC or GA anyway. In fact, there was a poll on the Orlandosentinel.com, asking this same question, and it was like more than 1/2 (it may have even been 2/3) of Floridians would like to leave or are seriously thinking about relocating elsewhere.
That is true, but either way, they don't end up moving back to NJ or NY. So I guess both NJ and FL lose.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
That is true, but either way, they don't end up moving back to NJ or NY. So I guess both NJ and FL lose.
I can name 3 or 4 people at my school who came from Florida back to New Jersey, and it's not only that, I notice Florida plates all the time around here.

You got to remember Florida's crash in the past year or 2; Foreclosures galore. So many people had to go where the money is.

They're probably just renters for now, and they probably aren't planning on moving here for good, but Florida is getting more and more deceiving the more popular it gets,

Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,021 times
NJ is so much better than FL.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I can name 3 or 4 people at my school who came from Florida back to New Jersey, and it's not only that, I notice Florida plates all the time around here.

You got to remember Florida's crash in the past year or 2; Foreclosures galore. So many people had to go where the money is.

They're probably just renters for now, and they probably aren't planning on moving here for good, but Florida is getting more and more deceiving the more popular it gets,
Indeed.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,688,532 times
Florida is a great place to live if you know what your doing. Same goes for any state. FL just has a warmer climate and access to a lot of cool things, thats why so many people would want to live here if they had the oppritunity

Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
A little off topic but Florida and New Jersey have something very much in common. Something they share with other built up states like New York (downstate) and California.

All these states were the promised land at one time or another. All became TOO POPULAR if you will. Then one by one they were built up (Florida being the latest one) and people started developing negatvie stereotypes against them. All of a sudden, the whole state can be summed up with a single sterotype or two. For instance: New York - is entirely old decaying apartment buildings, New Jersey - gas tanks and chemical plants, California - smog filled expressways, Florida - all bland suburbs with the same exact architecture.

You would think that everyone on a website like CD would know that these sterotypes are not true or at least greatly exaggerated. Just to begin with, large parts of these states are NOT developed and has been set aside for conservation.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
A little off topic but Florida and New Jersey have something very much in common. Something they share with other built up states like New York (downstate) and California.

All these states were the promised land at one time or another. All became TOO POPULAR if you will. Then one by one they were built up (Florida being the latest one) and people started developing negatvie stereotypes against them. All of a sudden, the whole state can be summed up with a single sterotype or two. For instance: New York - is entirely old decaying apartment buildings, New Jersey - gas tanks and chemical plants, California - smog filled expressways, Florida - all bland suburbs with the same exact architecture.

You would think that everyone on a website like CD would know that these sterotypes are not true or at least greatly exaggerated. Just to begin with, large parts of these states are NOT developed and has been set aside for conservation.
Very true.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,564 times
Two very different states and I love both of them, but I choose Florida, but not by much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City