Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What building to you think is better overall?
Flatiron Building (Atlanta) 34 28.57%
Flatiron Building (New York City) 85 71.43%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:42 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times

Advertisements

^ Please explain what made this 'look' a trade mark, aside from shape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 04:51 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It may have drew influence from Atlanta's but I wouldn't say it was modeled after Atlanta's, I wouldn't say there's zero influence but I just don't see "oooh we want one too" and just straight copied it.
It is possible...the 1929 Reynolds Building in Winston-Salem served as the prototype for the 1931 Empire State Building. So it happens.
Reynolds Building, Winston-Salem, North Carolina. | AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/construction/construction-buildings/167637-1.html - broken link)

Quote:
The Empire State Building was designed by Gregory Johnson and his architectural firm Shreve, Lamb, and Harmon, which produced the building drawings in just two weeks, using its earlier designs for the Reynolds Building in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_state_building

Old 10-03-2009, 04:55 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It is possible...the 1929 Reynolds Building in Winston-Salem served as the prototype for the 1931 Empire State Building. So it happens.
Reynolds Building, Winston-Salem, North Carolina. | AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/construction/construction-buildings/167637-1.html - broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_state_building
That's because they had to see if it was good enough for NYC .

I'm just kidding, the Penobscot Building (built in 1928) in Detroit looks a little like the Empire State Building as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penobscot_Building

Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That's because they had to see if it was good enough for NYC .

I'm just kidding, I also believe there's a building in Detroit that looks a little like the Empire State Building.
I'm just sayin'...that there are good examples of architects using previously built designs when drawing up plans for a new building.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Actually, i was talking about the first FULL steel skyscraper skeleton

The Home insurance building "was the first building to use structural steel in its frame, but the majority of its structure was composed of cast and wrought iron"
That's semantics and you didn't specify.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
New York's Flatiron.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That's semantics and you didn't specify.
Okay, good contribution to this thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Does this mean you're admitting Atlanta is the poster-child of sprawl and poor urban design?
It means that while there is some sprawl,it however is not the sprawl of the past that the association was made with Atlanta.Every major city in the world has reinvented itself,why can't Atlanta?NYC was a city of gangs and lawlessness.What about today?Are we still gonna talk about the "Warrors" and how bad Times Square was in the 80'S.the fact that it went bankrupt TWICE in the past?

I know you are intelligent to know what I was saying.I'm case you obviously are having difficulty comprehending.I will elaborate.Its all about the lesser of two evils.Are YOU saying you would rather have urban decay with its crime,bad ,dangerous schools and pollution ,than have sprawl with its big-box retailers,1 acre lots with a McMansion and driving your Volvo station wagon 30 miles to your Downtown office at 191 Peachtree?No reply necessary.I think I know the answer.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
It means that while there is some sprawl,it however is not the sprawl of the past that the association was made with Atlanta.Every major city in the world has reinvented itself,why can't Atlanta?NYC was a city of gangs and lawlessness.What about today?Are we still gonna talk about the "Warrors" and how bad Times Square was in the 80'S.the fact that it went bankrupt TWICE in the past?

I know you are intelligent to know what I was saying.I'm case you obviously are having difficulty comprehending.I will elaborate.Its all about the lesser of two evils.Are YOU saying you would rather have urban decay with its crime,bad ,dangerous schools and pollution ,than have sprawl with its big-box retailers,1 acre lots with a McMansion and driving your Volvo station wagon 30 miles to your Downtown office at 191 Peachtree?No reply necessary.I think I know the answer.
True. Atlanta was the "poster child of sprawl" in 1990. Some people just keep bringing that up because they don't have any newer negative references to draw on, so they resort to information that is 20 years old. It's kinda cute.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Some posts above were deleted for being off-topic. This thread is not a wholesale comparison of any characteristics of NYC and Atlanta besides these two Flatiron buildings. There are plenty of other threads you can use to post competitive comparisons of the entire cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City