Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which southern state do you think is the most urban?
Texas 45 28.66%
North Carolina 20 12.74%
Virginia 36 22.93%
Georgia 35 22.29%
Flordia 71 45.22%
Tennesse 4 2.55%
Alabama 1 0.64%
Mississippi 1 0.64%
Arkansas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True, but all you have to do is look at urban populations.

Almost 90% of Texas population lives in urban areas (Texas Triangle). However, we also have the largest rural population.

Very true, Jluke, in terms of pure numbers. See table at the very end of this article:

Texas Ahead: Rural Areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Urban area is different than metropolitan areas. NC may have more metros than VA, VAs urban areas are larger than NC. Those are just the facts.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
If one defines "most urban" by the ratio of urban to rural residents, and limits it to the Southern states offered as voting options, then according to this table from the U.S. Census Bureau and released in 1995 (the latest available), the most urban state in the South would be Florida, followed by Texas.

Here is the link (scroll down to "South Region"):

http://www.census.gov/population/cen.../urpop0090.txt
A lot has changed in all states in the last 20 years. All you can say is almost every southern state has increased its urban populations dramatically, but now who has the highest % is anyones guess now (save FL probably is still #1).

Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
A lot has changed in all states in the last 20 years. All you can say is almost every southern state has increased its urban populations dramatically, but now who has the highest % is anyones guess now (save FL probably is still #1).
Texas's percentage is about 85-90%.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
Based solely on population density Texas would lose to North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana and Alabama. Texas is definitely more urban than those other states. Now compared to Florida? I think Florida wins, but population density can't be the sole measure.
The only other objective statistic you can use is the one TexasReb pointed out, but it is fairly old. Anything else you "compare" to is highly subjective.

Example: You could look at the "Texas Triangle" but then someone could say well then "compare it to the Piedmont Triangle." However the question is "state" so we have to stick with that one.

Some states may have huge urban centers, but they take up less then a couple percent of the total land area, so while it is more urban "in this small section" the rest just being "ignored" isn't really looking at the whole state now is it?

Old 10-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
This may help

Texas: Dallas-Ft. Worth
Austin
San Antonio
Houston
El Paso
Oklahoma: Oklahoma City
Tulsa
Arkansas: Little Rock
Lousiana: Shreveport
Baton Rouge
New Orleans
Mississippi: Jackson
Tennessee: Memphis
Nashville
Chattanooga
Knoxville
Alabama: Huntsville
Birmingham
Montgomery
Mobile
Kentucky: Louisville
Lexington
Georgia: Atlanta
Columbus
Augusta
Florida: Tallahassee
Jacksonville
Orlando
Tampa/St. Petersburg
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
South Carolina: Columbia
North Carolina: Charlotte
Fayetteville
Winston-Salem/Greenboro
Raleigh/Durham
Virginia: Richmond
Norfolk/Hampton Roads
Alexandria/Arlington
West Virginia: Charleston

My apologies for any omissions. This list is still highly subjective.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas's percentage is about 85-90%.
And 77.456% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

While TX most likely has a very high %, what I am saying that EVERY state has had dramatic changes and you may find that some other states are higher then that now. A lot has changed in 20 years.

You are being subjective (usually to your own experience) in comparisons when you don't have concrete data, remember that.

If I were to guess, and I am not sure what the definition of "urban" is on the census link, it would go something like FL, VA, TX, NC, GA. With TX, NC, and GA possibly having insignificant deviations to be concretely ordered in that way.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:52 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,305 times
Quote:
The only other objective statistic you can use is the one TexasReb pointed out, but it is fairly old. Anything else you "compare" to is highly subjective.

Example: You could look at the "Texas Triangle" but then someone could say well then "compare it to the Piedmont Triangle." However the question is "state" so we have to stick with that one.

Some states may have huge urban centers, but they take up less then a couple percent of the total land area, so while it is more urban "in this small section" the rest just being "ignored" isn't really looking at the whole state now is it?
That is of course the problem I was trying to get at. Texas has a lower population density than Alabama, but I don't think anyone would argue that Alabama is more urbanized than Texas. I don't think anyone here is really ignoring the huge amount of land in Texas which is defined as rural. Which is why many people have said Florida over Texas even though Texas arguably has more major metro areas and cities.

Maybe just wait for the new census data and use TexasReb's idea

Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
And 77.456% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

While TX most likely has a very high %, what I am saying that EVERY state has had dramatic changes and you may find that some other states are higher then that now. A lot has changed in 20 years.

You are being subjective (usually to your own experience) in comparisons when you don't have concrete data, remember that.

If I were to guess, and I am not sure what the definition of "urban" is on the census link, it would go something like FL, VA, TX, NC, GA. With TX, NC, and GA possibly having insignificant deviations to be concretely ordered in that way.
I got my information from statistics:

"An estimated 86 percent of the 23 million people living in Texas in 2005 resided in urban areas, while an estimated 14 percent lived in rural areas"

Demographics - Texas In Focus

I very much did consider land size and that is why Florida was my first pick. However, the Texas Triangle which is about 60,000 sq. miles contains about 17 million people. That alone accounts for 75% of Texas's population.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
The only reason I picked Florida over Texas is land mass.

If they were the same size I'd probably go with Texas...just population wise.
Texas also has a lot more wide open spaces than Florida.

You just can't base it on population alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City