Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which region's transit system is the best:
Atlanta's 'Marta' 116 78.91%
Miami-Dade County's Transit System 31 21.09%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:17 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times

Advertisements

^ Yeah, I mean, Metrorail, Metrobus, Metromover, Tri-Rail, also add taxi's, even boat taxi's. You can pretty much get around Miami anyway possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
I give this to Miami - solely because while neither one is great every experience I've had with Atlanta's buses is that they are extremely reckless drivers. This is bias I'm sure but its my experience.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:20 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
If only they hurry up and extend metrorail to SoBe & the airport then we'll see... untill then Marta.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 PM

^ They are building the expansion lines to MIA right now and there are plans about doing something whether light rail heavy rail whatever that goes to Miami Beach.

http://www.micdot.com/popup/miami_central_station.jpg

Miami Central Station, which is being built right now next to the airport, will be the major transit hub for South Florida. It will have a Metrorail station, Metrobus station, Metromover station, Tri-Rail station, Taxi station, I think you will even be able to rent bikes.

http://www.micdot.com/popup/mic_program.jpg

Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
If only they hurry up and extend metrorail to SoBe & the airport then we'll see... untill then Marta.
Hopefully Orlando officials build a rail line from downtown to the airport.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM

At least the high speed will go OIA to I-Drive then Disney. The Disney part wont change much since their buses called Magical Express take tourists directly to hotel front door, train would go to a station near Celebration only then on to Tampa. The I-Drive 2 airport will cut down on tourists on roads.

Yes, I knew metrorail is currently being expanded but it needs to go to beach or else who will take it from airport.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
At least the high speed will go OIA to I-Drive then Disney. The Disney part wont change much since their buses called Magical Express take tourists directly to hotel front door, train would go to a station near Celebration only then on to Tampa. The I-Drive 2 airport will cut down on tourists on roads.

Yes, I knew metrorail is currently being expanded but it needs to go to beach or else who will take it from airport.
Good point, I think they might be holding back from building a Metrorail station in Miami Beach because it might take away from the "beauty" of it. I mean imagine some loud train flying overhead Washington Ave into a screeching stop at a station? That wouldn't be too pleasing for tourists, thats why if anything they'll probably do Light Rail.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Good point, I think they might be holding back from building a Metrorail station in Miami Beach because it might take away from the "beauty" of it. I mean imagine some loud train flying overhead Washington Ave into a screeching stop at a station? That wouldn't be too pleasing for tourists, thats why if anything they'll probably do Light Rail.
You're right, forgot how loud heavy rail can be. Okay metromover down MacArthur then up the strip.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
You're right, forgot how loud heavy rail can be. Okay metromover down MacArthur then up the strip.
I saw on another site that Miami actually had almost like a trolley system back in the 20's that went from downtown, across the causeway, and over to Miami Beach. I still don't know why they didn't keep up with it. Here's some pics:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...treetcar01.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...treetcar02.jpg

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...treetcar03.jpg

Old 06-12-2010, 06:18 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,059,547 times
Interesting find and I'm guessing the reason is Hurricane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City