Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
People in Maine and Alaska have nothing better to do because it's too cold to do anything outside for a long portion of the year.
I wouldn't have quite phrased it that way; IMO...I would say the cold weather keeps people indoors "more" of the time; the rugged terrain affects the ability to travel easily and those states are large in land area and sparse in population; I think these factors are involved in the number of posts,for Alaska and Maine. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Maybe, since a lot of people don't really know much about Alaska, they're making a bunch of threads asking about it?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:32 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,699 times
'Sorry for rambling. Anyone else see any interesting correlations? Or have any reasons for the discrepancies between population and posts?'

N Carolina, Texas, New Jersy, Arizona and Colorado seem to all rank somewhat higher in posts than in population. Perhaps lower costs of living, better job opportunities, higher perceived quality of life than where many are running away from these days be it a move to a neighboring state or cross country?

My personal opininion is the big cities in TX are incredible job creation machines and if I was young starting out would definitely look there. NC diverse landscape with two booming metro areas and Colorado front range with the rockies at your footsetp to me are the two must look at alternatives to FL, CA or anywhere up north..

Old 10-18-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Maybe, since a lot of people don't really know much about Alaska, they're making a bunch of threads asking about it?
Certainly a possibility and many people do vacation there, especially on cruises.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:48 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Illinois is tenth, not Colorado.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Illinois is tenth, not Colorado.
Thankyou......you're right...I had a "feeling" I had made a mistake! Illinois is tenth in number of posts with..... 155,000 posts! . Colorado is now 11th...LOL....with 129,000 posts. And number 11 in population is New Jersey with 8.7 Million residents.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What's your point??? How does that affect Texas being the fastest growing state??
I misunderstood you...it doesn't really.......My point was both states are growing in population; so in effect cancelling out as a unique factor into the amount of posts. That's why I also mentioned the state's population differences; since Texas has many more posts relative to California, which has many more residents. .

Old 10-19-2009, 01:02 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Maybe the Californians are more content, don't need to prove anything, and don't feel the need to recruit people to live in their state, like the Texans, or other places to remain unmentioned.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Maybe the Californians are more content, don't need to prove anything, and don't feel the need to recruit people to live in their state, like the Texans, or other places to remain unmentioned.
Actually, the real reason is quite the opposite.

Texas has more posts than Cali does because they are under CONSTANT attack around here.

And more often than not, from certain unnamed regulars who seem to have an obsession with the place, while being totally clueless about it at the same time.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:21 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Actually, the real reason is quite the opposite.

Texas has more posts than Cali does because they are under CONSTANT attack around here.

And more often than not, from certain unnamed regulars who seem to have an obsession with the place, while being totally clueless about it at the same time.

Very true! Most agree with you on this

The fact is that the large Texas cities, Atlanta and North Carolina are the states that people want to move to and some people are just jealous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City