Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 05:55 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

Here's what Wikipedia says about CSA's: Combined statistical area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 05:58 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Because you seem to be the expert on Houston and oil. I'm kind of annoyed by people thinking they know more about Houston than we do (and the experts for that matter). The cities economy grown exponentially more diverse every decade. It's also in a really good position to be a HUGE player in alternative energy. Houston learned it's lesson after the oil bust in the 80's. If Michigan is smart, I'm sure something similar will happen to Detroit in the next 20 years.
I can't vouch for this data, but:
http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...n-Economy.html

Quote:
By 2004 upstream energy's percentage (of Houston's economy) was reduced to 31.4 percent while downstream energy increased to 17 percent and diversified industries nearly quadrupled to 51.6 percent.
Call me crazy, but if you take away a third of the economy, bad things happen. Really bad things. Not mention all of the services and companies that do business with that third of the economy.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I can't vouch for this data, but:
http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...n-Economy.html

Call me crazy, but if you take away a third of the economy, bad things happen. Really bad things. Not mention all of the services and companies that do business with that third of the economy.
I didn't say energy and oil wasn't a big part of Houston's economy. Energy is also WAY more than just oil and oil is used for WAY more than just fuel. And besides that, oil will be a necessity for many reasons for the next hundred years or so. Trust me. The oil companies are not shaking in their boots. And If the oil companies don't take advantage of investing in alternative energy, the rest of the energy companies in Houston will. Houston will be fine.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I didn't say energy and oil wasn't a big part of Houston's economy. Energy is also WAY more than just oil and oil is used for WAY more than just fuel. And besides that, oil will be a necessity for many reasons for the next hundred years or so. Trust me. The oil companies are not shaking in their boots. And If the oil companies don't take advantage of investing in alternative energy, the rest of the energy companies in Houston will. Houston will be fine.
Yes oil is used for more than just fuel but that doesn't change the fact that it will eventually run out. Of course that also means it won't be all of a sudden, it'll be a slow death. One in which the energy companies will milk as far as they can.

Look, I know Houston has a diverse economy. It's just not as diverse as Houstoners think it is since one particular industry dominates a large chunk of it. It also is a bit odd to always bring up the TMC and NASA as if they could carry a city of almost 6 million or even come close.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:19 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
So why do they come up with two different classifications for each metro?
Because one classification, MSA, is the single metropolitan area of a city and it's suburbs. The other classification, CSA, is the metropolitan area of a city combined with an adjacent metropolitan (or micropolitan) area.

Every city doesn't have an adjacent metropolitan area to combine with to form a CSA. Miami is apparently one of those cities.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Quote:
Yes oil is used for more than just fuel but that doesn't change the fact that it will eventually run out. Of course that also means it won't be all of a sudden, it'll be a slow death. One in which the energy companies will milk as far as they can.

Look, I know Houston has a diverse economy. It's just not as diverse as Houstoners think it is since one particular industry dominates a large chunk of it. It also is a bit odd to always bring up the TMC and NASA as if they could carry a city of almost 6 million or even come close.
Well, we wont run out of oil in our life time. They're still finding massive oil wells all the time. The reason Houstonians usually bring up the diversity of the cities economy because people on CD keep referring to it as one industry town for oil, which not true at all. In fact the diversity of Houston's economy was brought up on this thread for that very reason.

NASA is just on hold because of the economy. I'm sure it will pick back up again in the next decade. But, as far as I know, your right. It's not a huge employer, but it does include some of the top experts in space exploration on the planet. I think that is something to brag about.

TMC is one of the largest employers in Houston (although TMC is not technically an employer). It involves 13 hospitals along with medical schools, research centers, and other medical facilities. TMC has a larger sq ft area than downtown Dallas.

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-29-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 07:06 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,139,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Because one classification, MSA, is the single metropolitan area of a city and it's suburbs. The other classification, CSA, is the metropolitan area of a city combined with an adjacent metropolitan (or micropolitan) area.

Every city doesn't have an adjacent metropolitan area to combine with to form a CSA. Miami is apparently one of those cities.
So is Phoenix.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:23 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
New York City 19,818,478
Los Angeles 14,049,577
Chicago 10,233,137
Dallas-Fort Worth 8,750,408
Houston 7,875,220
Atlanta 7,308,508
Phoenix 6,937,737
Miami-Fort Lauderdale 6,590,616
Washington, D.C. 6,514,361
Philadelphia 6,091,123

The most intriguing thing about this data is DFW pop will swell to 8,750,408. I would feel a little uncomfortable if I was Chicago. The list for the most part pretty much look the same except the southern metro are gaining on the big three.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
New York City 19,818,478
Los Angeles 14,049,577
Chicago 10,233,137
Dallas-Fort Worth 8,750,408
Houston 7,875,220
Atlanta 7,308,508
Phoenix 6,937,737
Miami-Fort Lauderdale 6,590,616
Washington, D.C. 6,514,361
Philadelphia 6,091,123

The most intriguing thing about this data is DFW pop will swell to 8,750,408. I would feel a little uncomfortable if I was Chicago. The list for the most part pretty much look the same except the southern metro are gaining on the big three.
That seems about right. My guess is that by 2050 Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta will all be in the 10 million+ club.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
That seems about right. My guess is that by 2050 Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta will all be in the 10 million+ club.
I might be dead by the time 2050 comes around lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City