Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times

Advertisements

NOLA has Cubans, Haitians, Brazilians, Jamaicans, Haitians, Hondurans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, etc. We may not have the sheer numbers that Miami has, but we pretty much have the same types of people.

We also have Royal and Coconut palms (nowhere near as many Royals though).
The metro area also has citrus groves and can even support banana trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
NOLA has Cubans, Haitians, Brazilians, Jamaicans, Haitians, Hondurans, Guatemalans, Nicaraguans, etc. We may not have the sheer numbers that Miami has, but we pretty much have the same types of people.

Do you have any pictures of Royal and Coconut Palms in New Orleans,because I have never seen any grown year-round outside of the South Florida area.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM

Citrus Grove
Louisiana Oranges - Satsumas - Navels - Grapefruit

Royal palms are common on this end of the gulf coast and are popular for landscaping high end areas around here. Coconut trees are rarer because they tend to die if a rare freeze occurs, but they are here.

Couldn't find a picture of a royal palm in New Orleans, but here is one in Galveston
A royal palm in Galveston!! pictures from gardens photos on webshots

Old 11-12-2009, 02:45 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post

I'd like to add that the sheer numbers do matter, because to have a vibrant ethnic community, especially one that's visible and interacts strongly with the rest of the city, it requires a large enough (influential enough is more accurate, but size goes with influence) population of the same type of people.

Both Miami and NOLA are very unique cities in the US.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:51 AM

147 posts, read 329,776 times
Savannah Georgia gets my vote.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:09 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Do you have any pictures of Royal and Coconut Palms in New Orleans,because I have never seen any grown year-round outside of the South Florida area.
Southern St Petersburg and Vero Beach is about as far north as I've ever seen a Coconut Palm in FL...I've never seen one in LA.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:36 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Quote:
Miami is unique in that it is the only American city with 2 major National Parks named Biscayne National and The Everglades within Miami-Dade.

It truly has a very diverse Hispanic culture that no other city in the south has in the Little Havana and Hialeah area.

It has foilage and trees like no other states in the lower 48,with having Royal and Coconut Palms along with Australian Pines and Hibiscus.
Miami also has no houses made of bricks,I have seen 2 brick buildings downtown and that has been it.

It has a large Haitian community in the City of Miami(54th street) and a large Russian community in Sunny Isles along with a Jewish community scattered in Miami Beach.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'd like to add that the sheer numbers do matter, because to have a vibrant ethnic community, especially one that's visible and interacts strongly with the rest of the city, it requires a large enough (influential enough is more accurate, but size goes with influence) population of the same type of people.

Both Miami and NOLA are very unique cities in the US.
The population, even though not large as Miami's, is large enough to be visible and interacts with the community. Outsiders just don't realize because they only attribute 3-4 things to NOLA, 2 of which aren't even correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Southern St Petersburg and Vero Beach is about as far north as I've ever seen a Coconut Palm in FL...I've never seen one in LA.
The coconut can grow all the way up to climate 9. New Orleans straddles 9a-10
arborday.org hardiness zone

They are known to grow as far west as Galveston on the coast.

It amazes me how many tourists are surprised that there are almost more almost more palm trees here than anything else and very few pines.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...474830084.html

Quote:
Miami also has no houses made of bricks
Really?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:52 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Diversity and all that doesnt really matter and mesh well in a city like Miami. If everyone is pissed off at the world, drives like idiots, and everyone is unfriendly, who cares how much diversity it has? I'd much rather live in a community where people are friendly and trustworthy, very unlike Miami.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:10 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,112,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I guess that's true. I was referring more to the suburbanish neighborhoods than the city center, but you know the city better than I do. I think you could make an argument for San Antonio as well, but the city isn't as famous as New Orleans.
New Orleans is more famous, katrina, mardi gras, however, S.A attracts millions of more visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City