Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 03:34 PM

271 posts, read 657,397 times

Advertisements

I love big cities but I love rural, peaceful and quiet areas as well. When I'm in one I want to know that I could get to the other within a 2-3 hours and not spend that time sitting in or dealing with traffic.

Which metro areas are the easiest to get away from no matter which direction you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 04:01 PM

173 posts, read 471,156 times
The Bay Area wins in my opinion: Big Sur, Tahoe, Redwood, Napa

Old 11-21-2009, 04:09 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
I love big cities but I love rural, peaceful and quiet areas as well. When I'm in one I want to know that I could get to the other within a 2-3 hours and not spend that time sitting in or dealing with traffic.

Which metro areas are the easiest to get away from no matter which direction you go?
Though not a big city...Scranton/Wilkes-Barre(metro...555,000) fits the bill. You can literally be out of the cities and in the mountains skiing, hiking, swimming etc. in literally 5 minutes. The cities lie in a narrow river valley(Susquehanna and Lackawanna rivers) and are surrounded by mountains. However the urban areas extend for tens of miles in a linear direction but you also have the rivers bisecting the cities for boating and other forms of recreation. Scranton, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-21-2009, 05:19 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Memphis - When you cross into Arkansas, no development at all. I just love that. I don't know about the prettiest place to get away from, or the most pedestrian-friendly it is, but as for easiest, i think its wins

Old 11-21-2009, 05:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Raleigh is a really easy city from which to get away for the weekend. 2 hours east takes you to the coast. 3+ hours to the west and northwest take you the mountains of NC and VA. An hour south takes you to the Sandhills (Pinehurst and Southern Pines) for Golf. An hour North takes you to Kerr Lake or Lake Gaston for fishing and camping. There are two local lakes in the Triangle: Jordan and Falls and each is within 20 minutes of the city. The city also has a huge urban state park within its limits for mountain biking, hiking or just chilling out.
From any direction out of the city, you get away quickly.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM

321 posts, read 720,632 times
From Boston you can be in the mountains of Vemont or New Hampshirein two hours, the beaches of Maine and Cape Cod in 90 minutes... There is alot of natural beauty in New England within a few hours from Boston.

Most California cities would fall in that category as well, also Seattle, Portland. The Northwest is my second favorite region,a great partof the country for outdoors activities.

What I hated most about Chicago when I moved there from Boston was there was basically nowhere to go if I wanted to get out of the city. I felt totally trapped.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:48 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,430 times
Indianapolis has about 2 million in the metro and if you live in the suburbs it can be between 15 min-1 hour to get rural.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:05 PM

271 posts, read 657,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
From Boston you can be in the mountains of Vemont or New Hampshirein two hours, the beaches of Maine and Cape Cod in 90 minutes... There is alot of natural beauty in New England within a few hours from Boston.

Most California cities would fall in that category as well, also Seattle, Portland. The Northwest is my second favorite region,a great partof the country for outdoors activities.

What I hated most about Chicago when I moved there from Boston was there was basically nowhere to go if I wanted to get out of the city. I felt totally trapped.
Seattle-Portland used to be like that but now that corridor is so filled with traffic it's become known as "the slog" (Nothing but traffic between those two cities).

Seattle is starting to get bad north too but east of Seattle, south or east of Portland still isn't too bad

Old 11-21-2009, 07:16 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Boise.

You can leave the city and within a 30 minutes drive be in deep mountains and dense lush forests, or head another direction from the city and be in some of the most spectacular desert canyonlands anywhere.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
Seattle-Portland used to be like that but now that corridor is so filled with traffic it's become known as "the slog" (Nothing but traffic between those two cities).

Seattle is starting to get bad north too but east of Seattle, south or east of Portland still isn't too bad
Yeah south and west of Portland is very underdeveloped. From downtown, you can take 26 west and be in farmland in 15-20 minutes (with no traffic), same with south once you get past Wilsonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City