Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 10:40 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
Because theres no way in hell the other 8.3 million have it nearly as easy as you do?

How about parts of Southern Brooklyn where the subway doesnt cover the majority of? Driving? Good luck on the BQE and across Staten Island if you wanna go to the shore. Good luck on the LIE if you wanna go to LI beaches. Upstate? forget about it.
Well virtually all of Staten Island and much of Manhattan can get to New Jersey in less than 1 hour, much of the Bronx can get to Westchester in less than an hour, much of Queens and Brooklyn can get to Nassau in less than an hour.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM

451 posts, read 695,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmind View Post
Really? What would be New York's appeal without the Bronx Zoo, Flushing Meadows or Yankee Stadium?
Where would New York be if people couldn't find cheaper housing in the outer boroughs? Your point is absurd.

Like every city, New York is an organism which depends on all of its parts and suburbs to thrive and survive.

So youre suggesting that someone would move to the Bronx from all the way across the country because of the Bronx Zoo? to Queens for the Meadows?

90% of the draw is in Manhattan. The vast majority of the city is completely overshadowed by it.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:41 AM

71 posts, read 73,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
This isn't exclusive to NYC, Chicago is pretty much the same way. For the record, I can get out of the city in 15 min from my place in New York.
Far, either the guy you responded to never been to New York or is legally blind. NY'ers get out of the city ALL THE TIME. Not only they go to Long Island beaches in hordes (there is public transportation) but every Giants or Jest game requires to leave the state!!!

From my experience, New Yorkers get out of the city much more than Chicagoans just because there is so much more to do around New York than it is around Chicago.
You can see NY license plates all over Jersey Shore, Philly, Poconos... "NY'ers dont leave the city". That's rich. Wow.

How do you argue with a guy who has no idea whatsoever yet still wants to voice his absurd opinions?

Last edited by angelmind; 07-09-2012 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
So youre suggesting that someone would move to the Bronx from all the way across the country because of the Bronx Zoo? to Queens for the Meadows?

90% of the draw is in Manhattan. The vast majority of the city is completely overshadowed by it.

No, but they do not move across the country for the Empire State building either..
People move to New York for the ultimate urban experience and commercial opportunity and they would not be the same without ALL of the parts of the city.
By the way, Yankee Stadium, located in the Bronx, is as much much a New York landmark and a tourist draw as is Statue of Liberty. You talk like a tourist, man...;(

Old 07-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Well virtually all of Staten Island and much of Manhattan can get to New Jersey in less than 1 hour, much of the Bronx can get to Westchester in less than an hour, much of Queens and Brooklyn can get to Nassau in less than an hour.

Right, and this only takes certain areas into consideration. It still takes at LEAST an hour from ANY part of the city to get out, unless you live on the city limits.

Brooklyn to Westchester? Queens to Westchester? Bronx to LI? Manhattan to LI? Queens to Jersey? Brooklyn to Jersey?

These all take at LEAST an hour. AT LEAST.

This isnt even factoring the traffic, which depends entirely as well.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
NYers barely leave the city dude. Get. Real.

There are other cities across the country with amenities available that their people actually USE. Denver, Seattle, SF are just a few examples. The geography is part of their city fabric. The only thing we can use are the parks, and thats where the parks come in handy.

It takes an hour to even get outside the city, let alone going upstate, to the island or down the shore.
Going to have to disagree on this one--you and your friend and family might never leave the city, but that's personal habits.

I and people I know have gone to the Poconos, Fire Island, Jones Beach, Breckneck Ridge, Adirondacks, Catskills, Finger Lake region, upstate in general, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. on a pretty decent rotation and have met a lot of New Yorkers while out in those places.

Also, it's true the main draw is Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn, but NYC as a whole with its history and diversity of neighborhoods is a draw even if the tourists don't actually show up there it's still part of the city that makes it attractive.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't understand the assumption of Chicago having more in quality...

If I may interject here...

I don't think anyone is arguing that Chicago has MORE (from Dictionary.com; more: in greater quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number) things of "quality" than New York City does. New York has more of everything because it has 3x (roughly) the amount of people than Chicago has. I'm not a math whiz, but the Bell Curve works heavily in favor of larger numbers when trying to discern who has the most "X" in a certain (city limits) population.

I Do Not Think That Chicago Has Any Numerical Advantage In Any Category Over New York City. I haven't been to NYC, but I do declare it the numerical victor. A bold move for me on City-Data, right?

But I do think Chicago has things (while not always a 'multitude of things', because NYC is bigger), that once they are pit in a "one-on-one fight" "against" each other, Chicago could have some fights that it won by TKO or a KO.

... But NYC would still retain the belt as heavy weight champion of America by decision.

NYC can, and does, win this "fight", 10 times out of 10 but there are still rounds where the champ take a few punches.

In my opinion, Chicago and Los Angeles can put the "Champ" in his/her place for a round or two.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Right, and this only takes certain areas into consideration. It still takes at LEAST an hour from ANY part of the city to get out, unless you live on the city limits.

Brooklyn to Westchester? Queens to Westchester? Bronx to LI? Manhattan to LI? Queens to Jersey? Brooklyn to Jersey?

Again, are you for real? Jumping on PATH, LIRR, Metro North and it still takes an hour to leave the city? What are you talking about?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Going to have to disagree on this one--you and your friend and family might never leave the city, but that's personal habits.

I and people I know have gone to the Poconos, Fire Island, Jones Beach, Breckneck Ridge, Adirondacks, Catskills, Finger Lake region, upstate in general, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. on a pretty decent rotation and have met a lot of New Yorkers while out in those places.

Also, it's true the main draw is Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn, but NYC as a whole with its history and diversity of neighborhoods is a draw even if the tourists don't actually show up there it's still part of the city that makes it attractive.

Disagree all you want. The majority of people I know, NEVER LEAVE, and if they do, its to go home (Upstate), or for business (Philly, Boston), and that happens in no way the frequency you state. The Poconos? I barely could do that when I lived in Jersey. I went about twice during all of winter.

The main draw for most people is one borough, that makes up 1/5th of the entire city. The other 4 are largely residential (Bronx, SI and Queens absolutely). More and more is coming to Brooklyn now, but Brooklyn is also mostly residential outside downtown.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:54 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

The city limits are huge, of course it takes a while. And you're going with the furthest distances possible without listing stuff like Queens to Long Island or the Bronx to Westchester or Manhattan/Bronx/Staten Island to Jersey. Also, why not take the Throgs Neck Bridge out from Queens to the Bronx if you're out to Westchester? It's a pretty easy drive through there. I'm not sure about this complaint because in almost any dense city traffic is hell. Have you ever driven in the DC area or in Los Angeles? Pretty awful.

New York also at least has the option of getting to other places entirely through mass transit or through fairly cheap private transit enterprises, so that's always been nice compared to many other cities out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City