Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Yes the John Hancock building is on 875 N. Michigan Ave so it's on the northern edge of downtown. Division is 1000 north and Clark is a bit west of Michigan so Im not seeing your point....
So where does Downtown end and the Near North Side begin? I consider everything within the boundaries of Lake Michigan to Division to 94 to Cermak as being Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 12:28 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
So where does Downtown end and the Near North Side begin? I consider everything within the boundaries of Lake Michigan to Division to 94 to Cermak as being Downtown.
Near North Side, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia according to wiki...Near North and Downtown seem to overlap

Old 12-12-2009, 01:59 AM

517 posts, read 1,319,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The valley is less than 2 million. And no, Oakland's downtown doesn't surpass it at all. The streets there are vacated. I remember my friend pointing out where that Tribune reporter got shot on the street. Great tour.
San Jose is a nice place but let's be honest a vibrant downtown is not one of it's strong points. I am in downtown SJ everday and its a ghosttown for a city its size.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:50 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well, if you don't cut off all of his quote it would be clearer. It's just downtown. For now, it is a business/government center for the most part. Akin to Wall St. in NYC. The other parts of the city are thumping all the time.
YES! I love it when people back up my claims that atlanta thinks it's new york! This is HILARIOUS. I lived in ATL for 4 years. Its more of an overgrown suburb than a city, the pictues back a few pages of the "vibrant downtown scene" showing people waddling into banana republic and "cheesecake bistro"??? I get depressed just looking at that atrocity of culture. I am so grateful that's not my friday night.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
YES! I love it when people back up my claims that atlanta thinks it's new york! This is HILARIOUS. I lived in ATL for 4 years. Its more of an overgrown suburb than a city, the pictues back a few pages of the "vibrant downtown scene" showing people waddling into banana republic and "cheesecake bistro"??? I get depressed just looking at that atrocity of culture. I am so grateful that's not my friday night.
Yet some people would much rather have that. I would.

If given the choice between Atlanta and NYC, I would choose Atlanta without even needing to think.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:19 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Duh, those weren't photos of Downtown...before you start criticizing it's a good idea to actually READ a little bit - those were photos of Atlantic Station. There are 30,000 residents of Downtown Atlanta...the overgrown suburb.

We miss you so much in Atlanta...you and your attitude.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
San Antonio... at least in winter...

Old 12-12-2009, 10:04 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,765,323 times
Downtown Dallas wasn't dead back then! Dallas had 3 department stores Neiman-Marcus,Titche-Goettinger the biggest department store in Dallas 500,000-square-feet (now closed bought out by Joske's then Dillard's),Sanger Brothers and A. Harris and Co. merged to become Sanger-Harris (now closed bought out by Foley's then Macy's)

Titche-Goettinger 1960s

Titche-Goettinger now houses lofts and the Universities Center at Dallas

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/77/Downtown_dallas_titches.jpg (broken link)

Sanger-Harris now El Centro Collage

Nieman-Marcus

Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Out of all the towns I have been to, I got to go with Phoenix or Orlando. (BTW, all towns die to some degree after business hours, even NYC, Chicago etc). Ever been to lower Manhattan after six pm?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
I did no such thing. I compared the financial and government (both state and federal) to the financial district in New York City in relation to how both areas, because of what type of business they hold, will be bustling during the day but dead at night. But of course, like always, if someone compares something in New York City to something in Atlanta, that means we're trying to say Atlanta is "just like new york"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City