Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 05:52 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQPolice View Post
Is your house located directly on route 1&9? Does the entrance to your house face the road and traffic?
It's very different when you have traffic on the highway and on your block.

And how would you feel if it was the case 7 days a week?

I see. You see traffic as necessary because it is not traffic on your block. It is not something that you have to deal with each and every day. I understand.

Since you don't live here you don't get it. No traffic would be scary but less traffic would be a blessing. The mayor had several plans based on London's experiences with dealing with congestion but I think raising tolls together with HOV lanes is the easiest way to limit traffic in the city.
Again, you're making assumptions. YES, I do deal with traffic everyday of the
week, and worse on weekends.

YES, my block abuts rts 1&9. Answer? I adapt.

No one forces you to live in NYC. NYC has had traffic since the 30's. This is not a phenomenon that started last week. We all choose to live where we live.

NJ is not the sole culprit for NY traffic. No one blames NJ for traffic on the LIExp, or in local Qns neighborhoods, etc. I'm not saying to 'like' traffic, but painting your problems on the west isn't going to fix them.

Last edited by 66nexus; 01-01-2010 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I know it is a complex, I was a frequent visitor and just 10 blocks aways the the towers collapsed. As far as the fucntion of PA is concerned I thing the agency got out of control.

Yeah and again New York created thousands of jobs in Newark, Elisabeth and vicinity. What would you be withouth the city???
It's easy to throw that back at you...yes NJ has created jobs in NY as well. Prudential Fin, J&J, HudsCit, etc. all have branches in NY. What does it matter?

It is clear you do not understand how metro-economics work.

What would you be without the city? I could ask you the same question over and over as well: What would YOUR city be w/o NJ? I love how the uninformed seem to think NYC became NYC all by itself.

Any form of research would tell you otherwise.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM

12 posts, read 9,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Again, you're making assumptions. YES, I do deal with traffic everyday of the
week, and worse on weekends.

YES, my block abuts rts 1&9. Answer? I adapt.
Your house is not right on the highway. We face traffic right on city streets in front of our houses.

Quote:
No one forces you to live in NYC. NYC has had traffic since the 30's. This is not a phenomenon that started last week. We all choose to live where we live.
Nonone forces you to work and drive in the city. You can take a train or stay away from the city.

Quote:
NJ is not the sole culprit for NY traffic. No one blames NJ for traffic on the LIExp, or in local Qns neighborhoods, etc. I'm not saying to 'like' traffic, but painting your problems on the west isn't going to fix them.
But it adds to the problem. I hope the tolls are raised high enough to keep suburbanites like you away from city streets.

Last edited by IQPolice; 01-01-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Your house is not right on the highway. We face traffic right on city streets in front of our houses.

Nonone forces you to work and drive in the city. You can take a train or stay away from the city.

But it adds to the problem. I hope the tolls are raised high enough to keep suburbanites like you away from city streets.

No one told you to live there (not that it matters b/c the traffic coming off of 1&9 is just as bad as 1&9 itself, NJans know this) Don't want to deal with traffic, don't live in ANY US city. Or simply...adapt, like other NYer's do.

I no longer work in the city, AND I when I do go there I DO take the train. We've already discussed this.

Honestly can't imagine why you're still assuming I'm a suburbanite (non-attention to detail).

Can't blame NJ for outer-borough NY traffic.

Last edited by 66nexus; 01-01-2010 at 07:30 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 07:25 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
This thread is about the outer boroughs & New Jersey........................... Again, stay on topic.
NJ drivers are not flooding the streets of Queens.
Make a blog if you want to vent.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:17 PM

160 posts, read 498,904 times
"Culturally significant" is such a vauge and large topic. I'm not really sure what the OP means by this.

I also think the bickering back and forth and nitpicking is ridiculous.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
What would you be without the city? I could ask you the same question over and over as well: What would YOUR city be w/o NJ? I love how the uninformed seem to think NYC became NYC all by itself.

Any form of research would tell you otherwise.
You bring up a good point.

New Jersey's overall location was obviously ideal. You could choose anywhere else in NY state to place NYC, and still come to a conclusion that bordering New Jersey is the most ideal location for a city.
You have the opportunity to feed off beneficial land in case of urban flooding that would be able to lead out into the rest of the country (NJ) rather than relying on the more isolated Long Island to handle it

Industry is New Jersey's strength. New Jersey has the largest and busiest ports on the east coast (Newark-Elizabeth) that handle manufacture and trade. New Jersey was able to provide more productive sea ports in the Newark Bay that the New York Bay couldn't handle. NYC feeds off New Jersey more so than their own state, the urban flooding of NYC spills into New Jersey more than anywhere else. This obviously shows that the westward expansion into NJ is ideal to handle growth in NYC.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You bring up a good point.

New Jersey's overall location was obviously ideal. You could choose anywhere else in NY state to place NYC, and still come to a conclusion that bordering New Jersey is the most ideal location for a city.
You have the opportunity to feed off beneficial land in case of urban flooding that would be able to lead out into the rest of the country (NJ) rather than relying on the more isolated Long Island to handle it
IMHO this entire thread is nothing more than a silly way for us two siblings attached at the hip to attack each other. But at least I can put the above comment to rest with a little history!

New York City exists where it does NOT because of New Jersey or any other state including NYS. The city has one the finest harbors on the East coast and is downstream from one of the few rivers that is navigable through the Appalachian Mountains. This made the fur trade with the interior Indians much easier and later led to the Erie Canal to the Great Lakes.

New Jersey and New York State itself, for that matter, did not even exist when New York City (New Amsterdam) was founded in 1625 as a trading post and fort near the mouth of the Hudson River. The Dutch founded the fort on a island for defensive purposes as well as a seaport for trade goods coming down the river from Albany (Fort Orange).

Off topic BP, but I do not get the urban flooding comment. When has NYC used New Jersey because of urban flooding??? Or vice versa???

Also Long Island is not as isolated from the city as is the majority of New Jersey so I do not get your last comment either. In fact, roughly half of the city population and 60% of the land area are actually ON Long Island.

But that ties back to your urban flood comment, so I am not sure what you are talking about.

Last edited by LINative; 01-02-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 09:24 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfriendly View Post
Yeah, we would rather see ugly ports in New Jersey than in our own back yard. Look how great the entire neighborhood of Elisabeth, Carteret, Irvington looks as a result....
Yes, New York has been always spilling over but mostly towards Long Island (anyone heard of Levitttown) and north to picturesque communities of Connecticut and Westchester, that's what the Metro North was build for. New Jersey has always been considered to ugly to be a valid residential expansion area but good for ports and factories. Just look at Jersey City, Newark, Irvington, Elisabeth, Carteret, Bayonne, Harrison, Passaic....
You are talking about some of the older built up parts of Northern New Jersey. But this is a huge area we are talking about and most of it is NOT cities or industrial areas. Unfortunately that is what people see from some of the main roads. But to actually SEE an area, we need to get off those main roads sometimes.

For example, there are some really nice suburban and exurban areas in Morris, Somerset, Sussex, Bergen and Mercer Counties. Some of the best in the country. Parts of Passaic, Middlessex, Monmouth and even Union & Essex are pretty nice too. Southern New Jersey is a whole different ball game and has alot of rural areas.

So lets not feed the sterotypes for the trolls on the general forum.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
IMHO this entire thread is nothing more than a silly way for us two siblings attached at the hip to attack each other. But at least I can put the above comment to rest with a little history!

New Jersey and New York State itself, for that matter, did not even exist when New York City (New Amsterdam) was founded in 1625 as a trading post and fort near the mouth of the Hudson River. The Dutch founded the fort on a island for defensive purposes as well as a seaport for trade goods coming down the river from Albany (Fort Orange).

But that ties back to your urban flood comment, so I am not sure what you are talking about.
Sure NJ, and NY didn't exist as states, they were still settling colonies, but New Ams didn't exist as NYC either. (only Manhattan-island)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City