Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I just thought i'd enlighten you with some knowledge for a sec.

NJ is nestled in between Philly and NYC geographically, and the close vicinity to each is just a mere advantage NJ gets to have. New JErsey's culture isn't a brush off from New Yorks culture.

New Jersey, like New York City experienced major growth the same way NY did by the immigrants who came through Ellis Island. People from similar places traveled BOTH to NY and NJ bringing the same cultures and traditions making it seem as if the two regions have almost the same culture.
Of course, the arrogance of many NYers believe that NYC is the reason NNJ came out to have so many similarities with NYC. Please Only to make your heads bigger.

The only thing NJ is doing with NYC is benefiting from it.
I love NYC. What's wrong with that? Am I now a wanna-be? do I not have an identity? Sheesh, if only NYers would spend time in NJ before they come up with so many ignorant assumptions.
Plus, NYC wouldn't have as much invested NJ (and same for NJ invested in NYC) if the two hadn't grown together.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
NYC posters were poking & prodding the NNJ Vs LI thread for this very moment.
Congrats!

Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Plus, NYC wouldn't have as much invested NJ (and same for NJ invested in NYC) if the two hadn't grown together.
Exactly. +1rep

Old 12-23-2009, 02:49 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
They are certaintly dressed like they are in the ghetto-lol. Thats urban fashion, something else the boroughs wrote the book on in the seventies and eighties through hip hop.

It came out of the horses mouth with the whole accent thing. The north jersey accent is supposed to be some type of variation of broolynese or some dumb s.. like that. The south jersey accent is supposed to be a variation of philly

And ellis island is new york city. Always was. Lol at this revisionist history jersey is brewing up. Ya tried to claim the statue of liberty aswell, a GIFT GIVING TO NEW YORK CITY lol. How ya so thirsty ya trying to take something that was giving to us as a gift lol

Old 12-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Ellis Island=shared NJ/NY territory

Ellis Island, New York City | EarthDocumentary

and FYI, the Statue was given to the United States, NY was the location. There is a colossal difference.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 PM

Thats not the point. Technically ellis island is shared with nj. But the culture of the place is overwhemingly associated with the city called new york

Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Another insecurity thread?

Old 12-23-2009, 03:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
They are certaintly dressed like they are in the ghetto-lol. Thats urban fashion, something else the boroughs wrote the book on in the seventies and eighties through hip hop.

It came out of the horses mouth with the whole accent thing. The north jersey accent is supposed to be some type of variation of broolynese or some dumb s.. like that. The south jersey accent is supposed to be a variation of philly

And ellis island is new york city. Always was. Lol at this revisionist history jersey is brewing up. Ya tried to claim the statue of liberty aswell, a GIFT GIVING TO NEW YORK CITY lol. How ya so thirsty ya trying to take something that was giving to us as a gift lol
Your a hopeless cause.

No one said that Lady Liberty was Jersey's! I only said the the statue was located on New Jersey's side of the river. Though the closer Jersey City does offer ferries that travel to Ellis and Liberty islands. (It seems like your nervous that people are going to get my words twisted)

I've lived in NNJ all my life and never heard such BS about how the accent was attributed. The accent was developed the same way it was developed in NYC which was by the mass immigration from Europe (mainly Italy). Look at all the other states like RI, MA, and CT where their accent is somewhat similar to NYC and NJs, and this is because of european immigration. Take this in.

Oh, ellis Island is half Jersey's genius.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Thats not the point. Technically ellis island is shared with nj. But the culture of the place is overwhemingly associated with the city called new york
*sigh* If you say so.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Your a hopeless cause.

No one said that Lady Liberty was Jersey's! I only said the the statue was located on New Jersey's side of the river. Though the closer Jersey City does offer ferries that travel to Ellis and Liberty islands. (It seems like your nervous that people are going to get my words twisted)

I've lived in NNJ all my life and never heard such BS about how the accent was attributed. The accent was developed the same way it was developed in NYC which was by the mass immigration from Europe (mainly Italy). Look at all the other states like RI, MA, and CT where their accent is somewhat similar to NYC and NJs, and this is because of european immigration. Take this in.

Oh, ellis Island is half Jersey's genius.
This thread is about cultural significance. Now take this in, If Ellis island and the statue of liberty culturally signify with new york than whats the point of mentioning that its halfway in jersey. You tell me

Ri and MA have there own distinct new england accents. To me we dont sound alike. And like i said this is not something i just thought it would be fun to say. This came from jersians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City