Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,078 times

Advertisements

Post it now!

Share on Tumblr
75% Chicago

70% New York City

70% Philadelphia

65% Boston

65% Washington, DC

This is one of the results from the quiz, Which American Cities Best Fit You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Philly gets a lot of love in the OP test - think two things for many who have taken as it does well on urban aspects and is close to the beach and cheaper so it seems to mirror NYC (Urban and proximity to ocean) and Chicago (urban and cheaper) - the flaw likely though overall in both of these beyond the obvious, where they tie crieria like "Quality/Cheap healthcare" they are not one in the same, are they do not weight any trade-offs; A conjoint or discreet choice mechanism would handle those aspects better

Old 06-22-2011, 10:52 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Thanks for the link and makes sense; I love CA as well but also have similar feelings as you to the NE; so to me that was the worst part about when I lived in SF; a city I really like, maybe even love

To ThomasR I took the Kiplinger and all west coast cities came back ( I selected NE and Pacific on question one or two)

1 SF (on my top five list) - to me this was accurate to be on the list though likley not #1 for me personally
2 Seattle - eh maybe but not a top 5 (or probably 10) by any means and to small for me personally - nice DT but the city overall just feels too small, and honestly a place I like to visit but would never see myslef living there
3 SD - love SD but not in my top 5, well maybe La Jolla
4 Portland - NFW - way too small and not my thing - nothing against Portland but it just wouldnt work for me to live
5 Sacramento - well it is close to SF but way to small and nope

So Kiplinger for me personally was 20% accurate while the OP test had all my 5 favorite cities in just about the right order for my personal preference.
Yeah, we got the same results! What do you know...

I think part of the issue is that California is put as part of the Pacific, when it really could be its own region - it does in one state what four do on the East Coast.

It's been easier for me to come and stay out west because we did move around a whole ton when I was a kid, and moving doesn't really bother me much.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 PM

191 posts, read 214,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly gets a lot of love in the OP test - think two things for many who have taken as it does well on urban aspects and is close to the beach and cheaper so it seems to mirror NYC (Urban and proximity to ocean) and Chicago (urban and cheaper) - the flaw likely though overall in both of these beyond the obvious where they tie crieria like "Quality/Cheap healthcare" they are not one in the are they do not weight any trade-offs; A conjoint or discreet choice mechanism would handle those aspects better
I know I know but it feels like alot of people have that secret "Philly sucks" mentality. I blame the sports teams

Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
What the quiz said:

70% New York City
70% Philadelphia
65% Chicago
65% San Francisco
55% Boston

Overall, I thought the quiz was ok. Not that bad but also not that great. It was somewhat accurate in some ways but other ways not that accurate.

Philadelphia is not number 2 on my list and Boston is not number 5. Philadelphia would be 7th place, and Boston is 10th place instead. The quiz was right in the percentage for Boston(55%) but definitely not right for the rank.

New York City, Chicago, and San Francisco at least made the top 5 in the quiz but New York City, Chicago, and San Francisco in reality for me are all tied for 1st place but in that order.

Seattle and Los Angeles did not make the top 5 on the list for the quiz but in real life they would make my top 5 with Seattle at 4th place and Los Angeles at 5th place.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is how I think it is for me in reality for my top 5:

85% New York City
85% Chicago
85% San Francisco
80% Seattle
70% Los Angeles

After that for 6th to 10th place:
65% Washington DC
60%Philadelphia
60% Portland,
60%San Diego
55% Boston

Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 AM

for the people who don't like there city results. Well you do. Those cities are what fit what you like.

If your saying "ewww I don't like this city and would not live in it.." well you will probably like it if you lived there since the criteria you selected is what you want.

Ita kind of a matchmaker. Everything you asked for.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Luxury View Post
for the people who don't like there city results. Well you do. Those cities are what fit what you like.

If your saying "ewww I don't like this city and would not live in it.." well you will probably like it if you lived there since the criteria you selected is what you want.

Ita kind of a matchmaker. Everything you asked for.
Except it's not, though. I lived in Seattle for about a year and a half, and had an absolutely miserable time of it! Don't get me started (seriously, don't...). Furthermore, I said I wanted to be in the west... and it gave me Philly (Northeast) and Chicago (Midwest).

Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,021,486 times
65% Atlanta

65% Honolulu

65% Miami

60% Austin

60% San Diego

I would replace Atlanta with Los Angeles and Austin with SF Bay Area.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Except it's not, though. I lived in Seattle for about a year and a half, and had an absolutely miserable time of it! Don't get me started (seriously, don't...). Furthermore, I said I wanted to be in the west... and it gave me Philly (Northeast) and Chicago (Midwest).
I understand you like the west coast. They should of had a region checkbox in the selections but maybe Philly and Chicago have what you asked for. I'm sure they do.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
65% Washington, DC

65% Los Angeles

60% Boston

55% Philadelphia

55% San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City