Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Tropical City Year Round?
Miami 140 70.35%
Orlando 7 3.52%
Los Angeles 7 3.52%
San Diego 11 5.53%
Other 47 23.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM

525 posts, read 760,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone13 View Post
many palms of the amazon grow in miami like euterpe precatoria, or the acai palm.
that is true. the phrase palms of the amazon was in my head.

i should have stuck to breadfruit rambutan durian and lipstick palms. The most delicate palms from southeast asia are the ones that will have a rough time in miami

as far as palms, the south east asia palms are the most delicate followed by palms of the amazon

Last edited by RickSantos; 04-13-2010 at 03:39 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Here are some more maps: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Koppen_Map.png

Google Image Result for http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/pics/2076-2100.jpg

Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Exactly right.

That’s why I think folks get so lost in this tropical Vs no tropical climate: They are stuck on temperature as “single absolute bases for this label”. Tropical climates have certain characteristics besides temperature …i.e…high rainfall…warm annual mean temps…higher humidity…etc. in addition to being mostly or totally frost free…that make them tropical.

Of course the same is true of the “subtropics”: Both Los Angeles and New Orleans are subtropical climates …Los Angeles has fewer bouts of colder temps (under 40 F), but has cooler summers…while New Orleans has more severe cold snaps, but paradoxically is the warmer climate - with higher annual mean temperatures and a much hotter summer. Yet, temperature differences hide the truly “big difference” between these both “subtropical climates”: subtropical California is a very dry climate (and bone dry in summer)…while New Orleans is wet climate (with a summer monsoon). LA gets less than 15 inches of rainfall annually…New Orleans gets 50 inches. This is truly the biggest difference between them. You are right…in terms of climate…LA or San Diego (and much of southern California) shares much more climatically with North Africa or Perth than with New Orleans or Brisbane, or Hong Kong.

Also, I saw some of the posters above debating the issue about being in the 23.5 N/S tropical zone. Folks should keep in mind that locations at the edge of any climate zone (tropical, subtropical, temperate, sub polar…etc.) will move a few hundred km north/south of the line over the long term: Once a decade or so, cities near the margin of 23. 5 N/S… like Miami (25 N), Hong Kong (22 N), Rio (24 S)…etc will fall slightly out of the tropical zone. This goes for the line near any climate zone. The normal line for the subtropics (8 months mean temp 50 F or higher) on the East Coast is around Virginia Beach …and on the West Coast around San Francisco. However, in some years (or set of years) the subtropical line reaches Crescent City, Cailifornia (41 north)…and southern Connecticut (41 north). In some years the line contracts south of the mean line.

Locations near climate lines are not set in concrete. What distinguishes where a certain city or location is "classified in"…is based on long term observation (15 , 30, 45 years, etc). This is especially important in locations that straddle a climate boundary.

Trade Wind, you really know your climates are you a meteorologist? I love the study of weather myself.

It is silly for even Los Angeles and San Diego to be on the list of "most tropical." Would anyone say Dallas or Atlanta are tropical? What confuses the issue is that "frost-free" occurs even in San Francisco but no one would ever compare the Bay Area to Miami. It is ironic that the one similarity w\ both cities is that freezing temps do not occur [except on very rare occasions].

I know we are repeating ourselves ad nauseum but for most people Miami is "tropical." People from Europe vacation in southern Florida precisely for the reason that it represents a tropical climate. Those who want to split hairs are correct about latitude and if being super-meticulous, that Miami & even Key West are technically not in the tropics [below the Tropic of Cancer]. But I bet that there are cities below the Tropic of Cancer that may not be as warm as Miami. Without looking up the data, I think even areas of Hawaii are as cool if not cooler than Miami [but I might be wrong about this

Old 04-13-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Trade Wind, you really know your climates are you a meteorologist? I love the study of weather myself.

It is silly for even Los Angeles and San Diego to be even on the list of "most tropical." Would anyone say Dallas or Atlanta are tropical? What confuses the issue is that "frost-free" occurs even in San Francisco but no one would ever compare the Bay Area to Miami. It is ironic that the one similarity w\ both cities is that freezing temps do not occur [except on very rare occasions].

I know we are repeating ourselves ad nauseum but for most people Miami is "tropical." People from Europe vacation in southern Florida precisely for the reason that it represents a tropical climate. Those who want to split hairs are correct about latitude and if being super-meticulous, that Miami & even Key West are technically not in the tropics [below the Tropic of Cancer]. But I bet that there are cities below the Tropic of Cancer that may not be as warm as Miami. Without looking up the data, I think even areas of Hawaii are as cool if not cooler than Miami [but I might be wrong about this

Tropical is about having that tropical caliber sunlight.Places in the tropics have that. Miami does not.

MIAMI'S GEOPHYSIC POSITION ON EARTH IS WHAT IS KEEPING IT FROM BEING TROPICAL, not necessarily temps.

IF MIAMI WAS AT 22 N it WOULD HAVE THAT " TROPICAL CALIBER SKY SLANT"

Hong Kong HAS the strong UV plus it never gets AS COLD as Miami.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post

It is silly for even Los Angeles and San Diego to be on the list of "most tropical." Would anyone say Dallas or Atlanta are tropical? What confuses the issue is that "frost-free" occurs even in San Francisco but no one would ever compare the Bay Area to Miami. It is ironic that the one similarity w\ both cities is that freezing temps do not occur [except on very rare occasions].

There are cold areas of HAITI. I have a friend who lived in that area, and told me it frequently got cold in that area.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
There are cold areas of HAITI. I have a friend who lived in that area, and told me it frequently got cold in that area.
But are those areas at sea-level? I know on the high peaks of Hawaii that is snows every winter. I wonder if there are regions below the tropic of cancer at sea-level that have similar temps to Miami or Key West during winter. Maybe Rick Santos knows.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
NOPE. I have talked with South Florida's TOP plam expert. He IS my friend. YOU CAN COUNT on Miami getting upper 30's to AT LEAST AS COLD AS 40 - 44 ish EVERY YEAR for AT LEAST 11 days or so. COUNT ON IT !

IN FACT EVERY SINGLE WINTER, EVERY SINGLE WINTER HE TAKES IN HIS BREADFRUIT INTO THE GARAGE.,

MIAMI IS NOT 50 AND ABOVE.

MIAMI IS NOT IN THE 40 AND ABOVE GROWING ZONE ( Cuba's zone)

MIAMI IS FIRMLY IN THE 30-35 DEGREE GROWING ZONE

You lose dude. I have EXACTLY HOW COLD MIAMI GETS IN WINTER. I HAVE BEEN THERE PLUS RESEARCHED IT SINCE JULY 2002 when my friend IN Miami said " MIami is NOT the tropcis to ME. This INSPIRED A 6 YEAR INTENSIVE RESEARCH.

MIAMI GETS COLLLLLD! DO NOT BE FOOLED!

Miami December Climate (http://test.crh.noaa.gov/mfl/?n=miami_december_climate - broken link)

Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Miami December Climate (http://test.crh.noaa.gov/mfl/?n=miami_december_climate - broken link)
Thank you. This should dispell this myth that Miami is some frozen tundra in winter, that can't sustain tropical plants.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Rick Santos is right but only within the most narrow confines of the word "tropical." Never-the-less, Miami is as close to tropical of any American city besides Honolulu.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Nice try with the acrobatics.

You're not fooling anyone, you Florida Tropical Wannabe Pretender........

It is a wel known fact how cold they get. You can go by it month by month year by year HERE: Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground THESE ARE THE ACTUAL TEMPERATURES

I discussed this before ad naseum.

MIAMI GETS VERY COLD.

YOU CAN COUNT ON AT LEAST AS COLD AS 44 EVERY WINTER RANGING FROM 6 TO 21 ish days depending on the severity of the winter..

MANY TIMES SINCE 2003, IF NOT MOST GETTING UPPER 30'S.

YOU MUST BRING YOUR BREADFRUIT INTO THE GARAGE!

EVERYONE SAW THE WEATHER CHANNEL YOU TROPICAL WANNABES THIS YEAR AND MANY YEARS PAST

FREEZES ALL OVER FLORIDA WITH MIAMI A CHILLING 35 DEGREES WITH A WIND CHILL OF 29

LOL !!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City