Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
That has more to do with people in the West being ignorant about Hispanic/Latino culture, since it clearly isn't emphasized as much our European counterparts. We're much more familiar with European subtleties than Hispanic and Latino subtleties in America.

It's partly due to racism, and it's partially due to Eurocentricity.

Hispanics/Latinos, I find, can usually tell the difference between each other - in speech patterns (even if speaking the same language), in dress, etiquette, food consumption, etc. Thus, what may not be clear to you is clear to those who are actually a part of the Hispanic/Latino ethnicity/race.

Stop being so close-minded. You don't know what you're talking about.
Surely you mean East, but I agree with what you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM

981 posts, read 806,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Surely you mean East, but I agree with what you said.
No, the West, as in Western Society (Europe and the US).

Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,188,234 times
Quote:
No, the West, as in Western Society (Europe and the US).
OK that makes more sense. I thought you where saying the western United States.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,866 times
Quote:
That has more to do with people in the West being ignorant about Hispanic/Latino culture, since it clearly isn't emphasized as much our European counterparts. We're much more familiar with European subtleties than Hispanic and Latino subtleties in America.

It's partly due to racism, and it's partially due to Eurocentricity.

Hispanics/Latinos, I find, can usually tell the difference between each other - in speech patterns (even if speaking the same language), in dress, etiquette, food consumption, etc. Thus, what may not be clear to you is clear to those who are actually a part of the Hispanic/Latino ethnicity/race.

Stop being so close-minded. You don't know what you're talking about.
Closed minded? Do you know what it is like to from Eastern Europe to America, with a new language and new culture? I must have an open mind to be able to take all of that in. To call me closed minded is ignorant of you, because you do not know what I have been through and what I have done with my life. My whole life I have needed to hold an open mind, and I have done so very well I think.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Closed minded? Do you know what it is like to from Eastern Europe to America, with a new language and new culture? I must have an open mind to be able to take all of that in. To call me closed minded is ignorant of you, because you do not know what I have been through and what I have done with my life. My whole life I have needed to hold an open mind, and I have done so very well I think.
I don't even know why I bother...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Not surprised at all by Houston or SF being at the top of the list, but I am quite surprised that Dallas is so diverse, while Boston is so not.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I don't even know why I bother...
The truth is that most people do not know the difference between any of the Hispanic countries. It is not a place many people go to, it is not a place many people care about, and much of it is like 3rd world. Anyway Hispanic in Houston and San Francisco and LA is mostly Mexican. Not all but mostly. You can not call that diverse just because of that. And in SF and LA, most Asians are Chinese.

What they need to do is find a list with countries, not races. That would change this ridiculous list.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
The truth is that most people do not know the difference between any of the Hispanic countries. It is not a place many people go to, it is not a place many people care about, and much of it is like 3rd world.

I'm done. I've done what I could.

Help me, Jesus...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:

I'm done. I've done what I could.

Help me, Jesus...
Yes I am the stupid one because I am not politically correct, I do not post to satisfy.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
The truth is that most people do not know the difference between any of the Hispanic countries. It is not a place many people go to, it is not a place many people care about, and much of it is like 3rd world. Anyway Hispanic in Houston and San Francisco and LA is mostly Mexican. Not all but mostly. You can not call that diverse just because of that. And in SF and LA, most Asians are Chinese.

What they need to do is find a list with countries, not races. That would change this ridiculous list.
Both SF and LA have the largest Filipino populations in the country (the Bay Area has the most per capita outside of Hawaii). Chinese are the largest single group yes, but there are MANY different groups of Asians over here, and some of them are quite large.

As far as Latinos in the Bay Area, most are Mexican, you're right, but we also have a large central American community (Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Nicaraguan are the largest ones), and there are even some relatively large numbers of south Americans (Peruvian is the biggest). The majority of non-Mexican Latinos in the Bay live in or around SF and Oakland (SF for example has the largest Nicaraguan community in the Bay Area, as well as Peruvian, i believe, and central Americans are almost equal in number to Mexicans in SF city proper).

When i was in elementary school in SF, i was in the spanish bilingual class for two years. We had students in my class that represented Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Bolivia, El Salvador, Costa Rica, and Chile...and those are just the ones i can remember after all these years.

Last edited by rah; 01-09-2010 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City