Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
^ Those numbers don't take into account the skyscrapers currently under construction in Toronto, of which there are many more than are under construction in Chicago.
Yea, but many more as in enough to really change the huge disparity between the two? How many 200+ meter skyscrapers is Toronto currently constructing? Are we talking major Chinese city/economic boom kind of construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
^ To the best of my knowledge, there are eight 200+ metre buildings currently under construction downtown, with many more proposed. Suffice it to say, the city is currently a hotbed of skyscraper construction and shows no signs of slowing down.

urbantoronto.ca is a local forum with discussions and pics of all the current projects.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
^ Those numbers don't take into account the skyscrapers currently under construction in Toronto, of which there are many more than are under construction in Chicago.
waa waa waa
are you building 100 skyscrapers there?
oh wait you aren't?
ok bye.
lets roll back 5 years and see who is building the most, oh wait chicago had a building boom also...oh noezzzz really how did that happen...
nobody cares about your "maybe building a few more" snapshot...the fact is, chicago is far ahead in terms of actual skyline and it isn't even close, are you disputing my numbers, or ...you are adding 8 buildings lolzzz great find.
yes, no sign of slowing down, I'm sure the rate will remain steady or more, for 1000 years!!! yay go torontoooo waa waa waa
I thought you guys were better than the Dallas or Atlanta posters posting like fools all day about their "Growth" ... apparently I was wrong. (at least for your sake)

Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Just stating the facts. There are currently over 130 hi-rise buildings under construction in Toronto. No other city in North America comes close to this. The eight I mentioned are buildings over 200 metres that are currently under construction and there are several more that are just under 200 metres, meaning that there are currently about 11 buildings with 50+ storeys under construction in downtown Toronto. That's 11 major skyscrapers under construction downtown all at the same time! There are so many 30 and 40 storey buildings going up that they barely get any notice. Waa Waa Waa that.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 AM

68 posts, read 123,200 times
Quote:
Just stating the facts. There are currently over 130 hi-rise buildings under construction in Toronto. No other city in North America comes close to this.
I doubt this is true.

NYC and Mexico City probably have more skyscrapers under construction than Toronto.

I mean, how could you even compare? There is no data source for comparing skyscrapers. There is that Emporis site, but it's a joke, and they miss half the buildings in most cities.

I have been to all three cities in recent months (NYC, Mexico City, and Toronto) and I would say Toronto is probably in third place.

Mexico City has a TON of suburban residentials being built on the western and southern hillsides. I checked in Emporis and basically nothing exists about these new buildings. And they're building multiple at a time (Asia commie block style).

Then in NYC, you have a TON of skinny, sliver hotels or residentials going up everywhere on the side streets, and most of those aren't in Emporis. Walk down the side streets in Chelsea (West 20's) and the Fashion District (West 30's and West 40's) and every block will have two or three new sliver hotel or residential buildings under construction.

Then go out to Flushing, Queens, or Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, and you have the Toronto-style Asian residential boom going on, with new apartment towers going up everywhere. Again, Emporis doesn't seem to cover this.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM

199 posts, read 355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
waa waa waa
are you building 100 skyscrapers there?
oh wait you aren't?
ok bye.
lets roll back 5 years and see who is building the most, oh wait chicago had a building boom also...oh noezzzz really how did that happen...
nobody cares about your "maybe building a few more" snapshot...the fact is, chicago is far ahead in terms of actual skyline and it isn't even close, are you disputing my numbers, or ...you are adding 8 buildings lolzzz great find.
yes, no sign of slowing down, I'm sure the rate will remain steady or more, for 1000 years!!! yay go torontoooo waa waa waa
I thought you guys were better than the Dallas or Atlanta posters posting like fools all day about their "Growth" ... apparently I was wrong. (at least for your sake)
Well, were obviously better than Chicago posters. This thread is proof positive of that.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:05 PM

199 posts, read 355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonWI1 View Post
I doubt this is true.

NYC and Mexico City probably have more skyscrapers under construction than Toronto.

I mean, how could you even compare? There is no data source for comparing skyscrapers. There is that Emporis site, but it's a joke, and they miss half the buildings in most cities.

I have been to all three cities in recent months (NYC, Mexico City, and Toronto) and I would say Toronto is probably in third place.

Mexico City has a TON of suburban residentials being built on the western and southern hillsides. I checked in Emporis and basically nothing exists about these new buildings. And they're building multiple at a time (Asia commie block style).

Then in NYC, you have a TON of skinny, sliver hotels or residentials going up everywhere on the side streets, and most of those aren't in Emporis. Walk down the side streets in Chelsea (West 20's) and the Fashion District (West 30's and West 40's) and every block will have two or three new sliver hotel or residential buildings under construction.

Then go out to Flushing, Queens, or Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, and you have the Toronto-style Asian residential boom going on, with new apartment towers going up everywhere. Again, Emporis doesn't seem to cover this.
If emporis doesn't cover it, then you can contact emporis and make sure they add it to their db. But if emporis is missing lots of NYC buildings, that means they're likely missing lots of Toronto buildings too.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:20 PM

27 posts, read 33,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
If emporis doesn't cover it, then you can contact emporis and make sure they add it to their db. But if emporis is missing lots of NYC buildings, that means they're likely missing lots of Toronto buildings too.
Based on cultural life - definitely Toronto. From world famous film festivals to jazz festivals Toronto is definitely more culturally happening city than Chicago. Now Dear Urbanists go back to comparing your peni*ses, oops, sorry, skyscrapers, as if they ever defined some of the greatest world cities like London or Paris.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
oh look!! you're bashing Chicago again? i can't believe it!! is wherever you live so terribly boring that you have time to search out every and any thread that mentions Chicago and make asinine rants about how much you hate it? i honestly feel sorry for you.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grozny101 View Post
Based on cultural life - definitely Toronto. From world famous film festivals to jazz festivals Toronto is definitely more culturally happening city than Chicago. Now Dear Urbanists go back to comparing your peni*ses, oops, sorry, skyscrapers, as if they ever defined some of the greatest world cities like London or Paris.
Chicago doesn't have jazz festivals? It has the older jazz scene, and the older festival...
Maybe you are getting Toronto confused with the Montreal jazz festival, which def is better than Chicago's...
World famous film festivals? MMM ...there is one in Toronto that is famous, and that is TIFF, and definitely good...other world famous ones? HRrm...yeah I believe those are sundance/cannes/berlin...they hold 2 in Toronto eh?

Toronto def has the better film scene than Chicago...but music scene? Negative.
Anything else to add?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City