Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:11 PM

35 posts, read 74,271 times

Advertisements

I've been reading this site's blog posts for years, and finally I have decided to post. I believe this is unquestionably the most informative city blog in existence. And I have been thoroughly entertained by both positive and negative people, conservatives and liberals alike. It's good fun, no sarcasm yet.

Briefly about me: I have traveled to 44 states and DC, and lived in 10 of them: MA, NY, NJ, PA, MD, DC, VA, IN, NV, and AZ. And I am still young. But within the next few years I must make what could be my final move, and I am taking it very seriously. I love many cities and towns, but I have narrowed the final destination down to Phoenix, Tucson, or LA. I have been to all three places a handful of times, although Tucson less so, and I know I will LOVE all three, despite their shortcomings (which have been revealed on this blog repeatedly). I have researched all I can about these places, and I love the desert and the coast, but there is one intangible I have not been able to figure out. That is what I would call the "aura" of each city. I am not getting all New-Agey or religious - I am neither. I believe both people and places have an "aura" that cannot be reduced to statstical analysis. This "aura" doesn't really exist except in my head probably. But I'd like to know what you all think about the "aura" of these three cities. Which one has the best "aura," however you wish to define it?

Finally, don't bother with discussions of crime and traffic and immigration, PLEASE! These things are present in every major city, and, honestly, having visited every major US city, and lived in many of them, Tucson and Phoenix have very little crime, and LA overall has just an average share. Yes, crime sucks and is higher than it should be everywhere, but for me personally, it's a wash. (Of course, I am stupid enough to have slept on Miami Beach - no, I was not mugged in that place at least.) Thanks for the responses - have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Your choice is quite strange... Phoenix and Tucson, being both desert cities, can be placed in the same group and then you can choose between the two basing your decision on size, natural beauty, traffic, activities, etc. LA, on the other hand, is an entirely different story... First, it's a huge megalopolis. Second, the scenery around is totally different. You're on the ocean! While Phoenix may be comparable in terms of size and look, desert and ocean are like day and night! I simply can't see how you can compare the "aura" of the desert and the ocean. Both of them have their own unique beauty, but they're vastly different and so are the activities each of them provides.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,574,725 times
I can't comment on LA as I've never been there. But I can comment on a "feeling" in the air while I was in AZ. I felt it more down in the desert than up north, so Tucson and Phoenix had that similar "feeling" in the air. I have no clue how to describe it (it's a good thing, not bad), but it just "feels" different down in Phoenix and the like than up here. (And I'm not talking scenery wise)

Old 01-13-2010, 01:30 PM

Thank you so far - but I must point out the LA has desert too. And anyway I believe that you may be able to box the desert "aura" and transport it to Santa Monica, but I'm still working out the science of this.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,143,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I can't comment on LA as I've never been there. But I can comment on a "feeling" in the air while I was in AZ. I felt it more down in the desert than up north, so Tucson and Phoenix had that similar "feeling" in the air. I have no clue how to describe it (it's a good thing, not bad), but it just "feels" different down in Phoenix and the like than up here. (And I'm not talking scenery wise)
I think there is some feeling of freedom and adventure in the air in AZ, at least to me. Perhaps it comes from the scenery and the association with the Western movies... I feel that particularly when I'm on the road (the secondary roads, not the freeways). It's a vast not too populated land, somewhat rugged and yet beautiful...

I grew up by a sea, I miss it, and I'd rather live by any body of water, but I can't deny AZ is attractive in its own way.

As far as So Cal, Orange County is beautiful, but I'd never want to live in LA county in particular. Eh, OK, I stand corrected. Santa Monica and the other places along PCH would be OK!

Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
I for one am connected to both the LA area and the Phoenix area. I love them both. We have homes in both areas, Oxnard and Surprise. For me the Surprise area has the same vibe or aura lets say as a newer LA area suburb. It also has many former LA and in my case Ventura County residents. Yes both areas are deserts, the LA area is highly irrigated. As they say near me, food grows where water flows, and it does flow in here from a long distance. The LA river is a concrete monstosety that brings in water from other points.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:56 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,173,480 times
I will offer my 2 cents.

Cannot comment on LA, only visited a few times.

Tucson, very "small town", they enjoy being a small town and seem to have resisted growth for growth's sake. This town has a very Spanish/Indian ethnic history and it is one of the most charming aspects of Tucson. Of course the University (Uof A) dominates much of what happens in Tucson. Without it Tucson would be quaint village.

Phoenix, very western but less so ethnic. Phoenix enjoys a wide open spaces, freedom, don't fence me in attitude. In spite of all the efforts to urbanize this city (and the efforts have been significant) it still refuses to become a San Francisco or San Diego. Phoenix has everything you need like sports, theatre, dining etc. But if the sports teams are not winning, or the broadway show is not stellar, people will forget about them and go for a hike or ride.

Next...

Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Tucson has more "aura" than Phoenix, that is for sure. Phoenix is bigger, cleaner, and newer, but Tucson has a sense of itself and its past that Phoenix lacks. Tucson summers are even fairly bearable. I'd take Tucson in a heartbeat over Phoenix but I need a lake within reasonable distance.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:19 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times
Tucson: I often get a "hippy" and "leave it brown aura." I feel much hate in that city for anything other than Tucson and maybe some like for Flagstaff but a definite negative towards things such as Phoenix and a misbelief that Tucson is more "urban." Which it most definitely is not. So the "aura" of Tucson for me is rather negative.

Phoenix: (I am biased admittedly ) I feel a sense of urban renewal and hope! A resurgence of activity on the streets and that more and more people are interested in the health of the entire state (even Tucson ) and love for the city as well as the natural desert...

L.A.: Sometimes the aura is blocked by the heavy smog, LOL, J/K! But really there are different auras in L.A. from place to place (lesser extent in Phoenix between cities like Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa) but L.A. has a "neutral" feel to me. I think that is because there are lots of cool, interesting people and also lots of fake bastards...

Old 01-13-2010, 04:04 PM

yes - sierraAZ - I think that's just it - a "feeling of freedom and adventure in AZ." Hard to explain. I lived in Mohave County for 2 years and I even felt that there, but I think it was a stronger feeling in the Southern part of the state. And it's not cheap like a Clark Griswold feeling. The only other place I think I've felt that is Miami Beach at night. Maybe it's just the heat (npi). Maybe it's eau-de-cheap-rent/land.

I do wish to avoid too much "small town feel," but Tucson has character I think. I especially like the sign out by the Desert Museum that tells you not to feed a chocolate-chip cookie to the coyotes. I believe that both Tucson and Phoenix will be boring, but I also thought Vegas was a boring place to live - and I LOVED it! My greatest concern is that, 10 years from now when I'm 10 years older, I'll regret not taking my stab at LA. But LA seems a lot like other major cities I've lived in.

More "aura" comments please - you've all been very insightful so far - I think ultimately the aura will decide things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City