Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is best known?
Fort Collins 0 0%
Greeley 0 0%
Boulder 62 53.45%
Aurora 1 0.86%
Colorado Springs 52 44.83%
Pueblo 1 0.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,455,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Like I said, I'm not an economist. I'm actually not even a Colorado Springs resident, nor have I even lived there. I keep an eye on it because I consider it a possible destination for when I retire from the service. (So watch it when you talk about "the kind of people who would move to Colorado Springs"!)

Despite the IT industry downsizing in Colorado Springs (it has leveled off since 2008) the city is slightly below national average for unemployment, at 6.3%. US average is 6.4%.

By comparison, Colorado is at 5.3%, Denver at 5.9%, and Pueblo at 7.9%.
The Springs is not doing bad economically but that is because of the military as they are not attracting other companies in fact they are losing them. I am not saying that is bad but they should do more to diversfy their economic base but I think they are happy being what they are and IMO that is not good in the long run.

To be honost, and I can't prove this, I have a feeling that in the next 10 to 20 years they will lose a base. For example they have 2 air force bases, do we really need 2 in the same town? If they close just one base watch out, their economy will nose dive.

Unless you are the kind of person who does not want to spend money to improve their city, and I have a feeling you are not, I am not talking about you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Couldn't tell you, really. But Peterson and Schriever have different missions, so even though they are close to each other, the Air Force uses them for different things.

NORAD isn't going anywhere. And Fort Carson has been chosen as the site to inherit troops that are being relocated from other bases that are shutting down. That's going to bring more troops, families, civilian employees, and $$$ into Colorado Springs. Probably Pueblo, too.

Anything can happen, I suppose. But all of Colorado Springs' bases look pretty safe right now.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Couldn't tell you, really. But Peterson and Schriever have different missions, so even though they are close to each other, the Air Force uses them for different things.

NORAD isn't going anywhere. And Fort Carson has been chosen as the site to inherit troops that are being relocated from other bases that are shutting down. That's going to bring more troops, families, civilian employees, and $$$ into Colorado Springs. Probably Pueblo, too.

Anything can happen, I suppose. But all of Colorado Springs' bases look pretty safe right now.
NORAD closed and is now part of Petterson. I could see them doint the same with Schriver but down sizing as well.

I think Fort Carson is safe but with the issues they have with the training site they might down size it. I do agree it will help Pueblo and they planning a south gate to make it easier for people to live in Pueblo especially the proposed Pueblo Springs.

Again I don't know but so far the Springs has been spared but I have this feeling that will not be the case much longer.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-21-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 PM

The NORAD Command still exists. The facility is still open, the only change is that it is easier now for them to conduct their mission from regular buildings. The command is now located on PAFB. The Cheyenne Mountain facility is on what we call "warm standby". A sort of ready reserve. The threat of a nuclear attack is much lower, but the facility can be fired up at a moments notice. There is still a full security and maintenance staff that operates 24/7.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,934 times
okay people you've argued enough about those two cities. can we not discuss the actual question at hand for once?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Active Duty is Colorado Springs...not Denver,Pueblo,Boulder,ect...No other town will even compete with that..Down Range Fort Carson maybe in Pueblo, but the track driven tumble weed country is hardly a bastion. I used to share battalion guard duty in a mechanized armored division..at FC..spent many a night looking down from the southern cliffs over Pueblo..Pueblo just grazes FC..Pinon Canyon in remote Southern Colorado is considered more military than Pueblo.. I have to give you credit though Jossepie..you are the unofficial mayor of that town..loyal to a fault..I'm not
trying to be mean by saying this but,if I ever see Pueblo just once again in my life that's one time too many....I do like you Joseppie..but I really do hate Pueblo..but to each their own.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
okay people you've argued enough about those two cities. can we not discuss the actual question at hand for once?
Nobody is forcing you to read the posts on this thread. If anyone representing any of the other cities wanted to join the discussion, they'd be welcome. As it stands, the only two cities anyone wants to discuss is Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Try to have a little more courtesy.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Active Duty is Colorado Springs...not Denver,Pueblo,Boulder,ect...No other town will even compete with that..Down Range Fort Carson maybe in Pueblo, but the track driven tumble weed country is hardly a bastion. I used to share battalion guard duty in a mechanized armored division..at FC..spent many a night looking down from the southern cliffs over Pueblo..Pueblo just grazes FC..Pinon Canyon in remote Southern Colorado is considered more military than Pueblo.. I have to give you credit though Jossepie..you are the unofficial mayor of that town..loyal to a fault..I'm not
trying to be mean by saying this but,if I ever see Pueblo just once again in my life that's one time too many....I do like you Joseppie..but I really do hate Pueblo..but to each their own.
Mechanized Armor? Nice. M1A1, or do you go further back?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Quote:
Mechanized Armor? Nice. M1A1, or do you go further back?
No,about the same time I think..I don't claim to be an expert,,however I saw your post..I have a M113a2 track manual in my lap...I drove one of those and a A77.. I like the larger A77..I was 91 Alpha before leaving to 91 Delta school.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Maybe its just me but other then a long way of saying the Springs is a military city while Pueblo and Denver are not while telling me you do not like Pueblo I don't get the point of this thread.

We already said the Springs is a military city so that is not new and I can care less who likes or does not like Pueblo as we all have the kind of city we like and don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City