Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They certainly do not support what you're suggesting. Charlotte is not some magical wonderland in which something as important as economics doesn't matter. NC and Charlotte are quickly losing the glowing perception they've had for many years. If you don't think that matters, either, you can ask any number of Northern states how important something like that really is, even while their economies have been on par with, or in several cases better than, states that have been seeing high rates of growth.

Check the new csa GDP stats!;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 05:28 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
They certainly do not support what you're suggesting. Charlotte is not some magical wonderland in which something as important as economics doesn't matter. NC and Charlotte are quickly losing the glowing perception they've had for many years. If you don't think that matters, either, you can ask any number of Northern states how important something like that really is, even while their economies have been on par with, or in several cases better than, states that have been seeing high rates of growth.
Of course. I mean because you definitely speak for every Northern state. You're suggesting Charlotte isn't growing fast because of the unemployment numbers even though it never stopped growing, even when the unemployment number was in the 10%s.

Both Charlotte and North Carolina are still very attractive.

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2013/...s-competitive/

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...t-growing.html

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2013/...nd-the-nation/

Anyways, this thread is about Charlotte and Columbus not Charlotte and North Carolina. Our 3.56 says hello to your 2.21.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:23 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
or with a state government that is directly making the state less attractive as a place to relocate to.

Sounds like Ohio.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Of course. I mean because you definitely speak for every Northern state. You're suggesting Charlotte isn't growing fast because of the unemployment numbers even though it never stopped growing, even when the unemployment number was in the 10%s.

Both Charlotte and North Carolina are still very attractive.

North Carolina is already competitive « The Progressive Pulse

N.C. remains among fastest-growing states - Triangle Business Journal

North Carolina

Anyways, this thread is about Charlotte and Columbus not Charlotte and North Carolina. Our 3.56 says hello to your 2.21.
I didn't say Charlotte wasn't growing fast, you misunderstand. It obviously has been. I'm saying that, long-term, it's not sustainable. At one time, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. were some of the fastest growing cities in the US. Boom growth, no matter how safe you think you are, does not last. The sad fact is that you, and seemingly many others, have not learned anything from what happened to the boom cities of the North. A few more days of sunshine isn't going to save you from the inevitable, and it's the height of arrogance to believe you're special. You're not.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Sounds like Ohio.
Ohio's government couldn't touch NC's crazy of late, not on its worst day. Few states could.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Well, I've live in Columbus (Dublin) and Charlotte and all I can say is I have always moved where I desired without our jobs factoring in the decision. I spent decades in central OH and actually preferred Cleveland (over COL) the most for many reasons. Even though family is up north my wife and I decided we wanted to move to the Sunbelt and we chose Charlotte. That was 9 years ago and couldn't have made a better decision for me and my family. What an awesome city with a great future, obviously many others feel the same as many continue to locate here.
With big population growth you like to see job growth, new companies continue to locate here and the city continues to diversify in energy, healthcare, manufacturing...and they are hiring Forbes: Charlotte ranked 4th in nation for hiring this fall - Charlotte Business Journal
note most of the cities hiring are in sunbelt..
Being a Buckeye fan I never thought I would say this but I must admit SEC football is where it is at...

Last edited by ZnGuy; 09-17-2013 at 10:24 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 10:54 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,320,447 times
Quote:
I didn't say Charlotte wasn't growing fast, you misunderstand. It obviously has been. I'm saying that, long-term, it's not sustainable. At one time, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. were some of the fastest growing cities in the US. Boom growth, no matter how safe you think you are, does not last. The sad fact is that you, and seemingly many others, have not learned anything from what happened to the boom cities of the North. A few more days of sunshine isn't going to save you from the inevitable, and it's the height of arrogance to believe you're special. You're not.
Why would you want a city to continue to grow as fast as these cities? It's clearly not going to and I never implied it would.

You however implied that Charlotte, and the rest of North Carolina were not going to continue to grow because 1.) the unemployment numbers 2.) the government. Therefore, I replied with multiple links to factually, rather than opinion-ally prove that Charlotte, and North Carolina have/are continuing to grow despite of unemployment numbers and the government hasn't had any drastic force on whether or not people move here.

Truth be told, Charlotte is currently growing at a higher percentage than Columbus and Cincinnati combined; as to where majority of the other OH metropolitan areas are loosing population and NC's are not.

So if NC's government was in the state you're presuming it out to be, and Ohio's isn't- NC's unemployment rate is almost 2.0% higher than Ohio's, why is North Carolina the 13th fastest growing state in the country and Ohio the 46th?

What do you think is going to happen once growth levels back to the national average? The only one being arrogant here is yourself; apparently you think by being arrogant you're making Ohio look better, when you're really not.

So wouldn't you say that unemployment numbers and the state of NC's government aren't making NC less attractive? Whether or not you want to admit it is your decision, but facts would.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
While NC's crazy politics are currently having a negative impact on the state's reputation, NC is a true swing state and it's very likely that the political pendulum will swing back towards the middle in the near future. A lot of the extreme legislation coming out of Raleigh is even turning some of the Republican electorate off, particularly the strict fiscal conservatives who don't care as much about the social issues.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:27 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Just released article and video (9/18/13) on Columbus' rapidly evolving city center, from the Columbus Dispatch!

Downtown looking up as population grows | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 09-18-2013, 01:13 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
A healthy downtown bodes well for both Columbus and Charlotte!
Investment in Charlotte's UpTown continues. Residential population is expected to hit 15,365 this year which is up from 8,100 in 2000. Would not surprise me to see The Donald throw some of his money in the ring soon
Uptown, South End boom with residents, investment, says Charlotte Center City Partners - Charlotte Business Journal

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/10/3775237/childress-klein-to-build-luxury.html#.Ujn5QtDD_IU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City