Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NJ Vs. OH
NJ 125 60.39%
OH 82 39.61%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times

Advertisements

OH for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,449 times
A couple of things NJ has over Ohio. I will first start with food, but will preface by saying that people seem to generalize NJ by what they see on the NJ Turnpike coupled with some jokes they heard someone else make. I've yet to find any other tomato or peach like these fruits of Jersey produce. The Turnpike whisks motorists right through the heart of the true "Garden State". There are cranberry bogs in the Pine Barrens, and Hammonton has always been well known for blueberries. There's cheesesteaks, pork roll, & scrapple to the south, and NY-style pizza, egg creams, plenty of Jewish delis to the north.

New Jersey is home to the Pine Barrens, a vast forest in the coastal plain of the central and southern parts of the state. The Pine Barrens has its own unique ecology, and the cranberry production that makes NJ one of the top producers in the country, takes place right here. To the north there are the Appalachians, to the south there are farms and fields. The nationally famed Jersey Shore is our coastline. In between there is the characteristic urbanization for which NJ is so popular.

For me, proximity is everything. NJ is close to many of the most important places in the country. And, while someone wants to live on Lexington Oval outside of Cleveland, I'd hope to one day live in Alpine, NJ, which is "America's Most Expensive Zip Code." Maybe one day I'll be able to afford living between Stevie Wonder and Chris Rock. OK, maybe not. The point is, NJ offers a lot more than people are willing to recognize.

The only things I remember most about Ohio are WKRP and the Drew Carey Show.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
A couple of things NJ has over Ohio. I will first start with food, but will preface by saying that people seem to generalize NJ by what they see on the NJ Turnpike coupled with some jokes they heard someone else make. I've yet to find any other tomato or peach like these fruits of Jersey produce. The Turnpike whisks motorists right through the heart of the true "Garden State". There are cranberry bogs in the Pine Barrens, and Hammonton has always been well known for blueberries. There's cheesesteaks, pork roll, & scrapple to the south, and NY-style pizza, egg creams, plenty of Jewish delis to the north.

New Jersey is home to the Pine Barrens, a vast forest in the coastal plain of the central and southern parts of the state. The Pine Barrens has its own unique ecology, and the cranberry production that makes NJ one of the top producers in the country, takes place right here. To the north there are the Appalachians, to the south there are farms and fields. The nationally famed Jersey Shore is our coastline. In between there is the characteristic urbanization for which NJ is so popular.

For me, proximity is everything. NJ is close to many of the most important places in the country. And, while someone wants to live on Lexington Oval outside of Cleveland, I'd hope to one day live in Alpine, NJ, which is "America's Most Expensive Zip Code." Maybe one day I'll be able to afford living between Stevie Wonder and Chris Rock. OK, maybe not. The point is, NJ offers a lot more than people are willing to recognize.

The only things I remember most about Ohio are WKRP and the Drew Carey Show.
After the entire write up you summed your thoughts with that? LOL!

That 2nd to last sentence that's bold is should be about Ohio not NJ. I mean, I don't even know about WKRP nor have I really watched Drew Carey but I heard most Ohioans don't care for that show or him.

And if you were referring to me about living on outside of Cleveland in that google maps I posted, you are correct. It's upscale, but no where near the richest zip code. Although, Andy Varaejo and a few Indians live in the area, it's not even close to the richest area of Cleveland.

But if being surrounded by celebrities in the richest Zip Code in America is your dream, go for it lmao! Maybe you'll achieve it one day.. but I hope that isn't your life goal

Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,550,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
After the entire write up you summed your thoughts with that? LOL!

That 2nd to last sentence that's bold is should be about Ohio not NJ. I mean, I don't even know about WKRP nor have I really watched Drew Carey but I heard most Ohioans don't care for that show or him.

And if you were referring to me about living on outside of Cleveland in that google maps I posted, you are correct. It's upscale, but no where near the richest zip code. Although, Andy Varaejo and a few Indians live in the area, it's not even close to the richest area of Cleveland.

But if being surrounded by celebrities in the richest Zip Code in America is your dream, go for it lmao! Maybe you'll achieve it one day.. but I hope that isn't your life goal
My last statement was more of a joke, probably should've included a "". As far as living in the richest zip code, I'll pass, but I just wanted to show the diversity of NJ since it's always stereotyped as being an industrial Hell. I'm sure there's more to Ohio than Cincinatti and Cleveland, although I've been through there once on my way to Indiannapolis and it wasn't memorable (then again, what states are memorable from just passing through?)

Old 02-09-2010, 08:25 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
I think that OH and NJ are two of the most misunderstood states.

My experiences in Ohio are not vast, but I have been to Columbus and Dayton, and was uninspired by both. Honestly though, growing up in and around NYC ... it's pretty hard to be inspired by any city less than 1 Million people. I know that sounds harsh, and people think NY/NJ people are arrogant because of this, but it is true.

It's like someone from Colorado or California ... they would be uninspired by the mountains in NJ (and OH) ... which are mere hills to those people that grew up with the rockies.

The odd thing about NJ is that what it is stereotyped as (industry and urban wasteland) is literally a teeny tiny portion of the state. Merely a few square miles. The problem NJ faces is that these few square miles surround Newark Airport, an INCREDIBLY busy airport that hosts people from all around the WORLD who are visiting NYC. Therefore, for many, many people, those few miles of wasteland are the ONLY thing they EVER see of NJ. So they think to themselves "ah, the stereotypes must be true". It's sad, but what are you going to do.

There is a reason why NJ people are so damn proud of their state. Because we know that 99% of the state is damn gorgeous.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
My last statement was more of a joke, probably should've included a "". As far as living in the richest zip code, I'll pass, but I just wanted to show the diversity of NJ since it's always stereotyped as being an industrial Hell. I'm sure there's more to Ohio than Cincinatti and Cleveland, although I've been through there once on my way to Indiannapolis and it wasn't memorable (then again, what states are memorable from just passing through?)
Passing through Ohio is not memorable at all. It's actually pretty horrible. I will admit I've never been to Dayton and only Cincy once -- which I liked. But Northeast Ohio, which is home to nearly 5 million people, is pretty special to me and not really known outside of people who live here or their relatives.

And trust me, I think Cleveland has the same reputation as an industrial hell as NJ does, which is very unjust and not true at all! Like NJ being misunderstood, most of Ohio is too. It's kind of like when people call the state of Ohio all rural and hillbilly. These same people who type this get shocked when 75% + of the Ohioans on here dispute them, like the Ohioans are wrong. Oh and 75% is the number of people living in urbanized areas of Ohio.

UrbanOhio.com l Ohio's Ultimate Urban Site!

I myself found it shocking that overall, much of Northeast Ohio is more urban then my previous home in Washington DC.

Quote:
Northeast Ohio is an area of contrast. It is Ohio's most populous region boasting four cities with metropolitan areas over 400,000: Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, and Canton. Founded in the 1700's, the former colony of Connecticut was called the Western Reserve. Towns like Hudson, Peninsula, and Kirtland resemble their New England counterparts with town greens, Colonial and Cape Cod architecture, and even renowned schools. From the soaring skyscrapers of Cleveland, to the Rubber Capital of the World, Akron, to the awkwardly weird Mingo Junction, to the grit of Youngstown and the downright gorgeous Shaker Heights, Northeast Ohio varies in urban centers. Though Northeast Ohio is also known for Lake Erie, wine country, the Cuyahoga Valley and the largest Amish population in the country, its cities are a glorious testament to Ohio's rich urban heritage.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,861,254 times
If I could afford to live comfortably right across the river from New York City, I'd live in New Jersey in a heartbeat. Other than that, nothing in Jersey seems to appealing to somebody who has lived in Ohio for most of their life.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
If I could afford to live comfortably right across the river from New York City, I'd live in New Jersey in a heartbeat. Other than that, nothing in Jersey seems to appealing to somebody who has lived in Ohio for most of their life.
Really, interesting...

I agree with the above poster who said both are among the most misunderstood states, people can be very ignorant to both if that makes any sense.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:57 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
Ohio. New Jersey is way too dense for me

Old 02-10-2010, 01:25 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Ohio. New Jersey is way too dense for me
What's weird about NJ's density is that in most of the state you don't realize/understand how on earth it's the most densely populated state in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City