Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 AM

848 posts, read 2,128,815 times

Advertisements

LOL.

I always read this horribly spread misconception that there's nothing to do in downtown Houston after 5 or on the weekends.

Don't know how that started after the post-1998 renaissance that went on over there. But since then, people who say such falsehoods about downtown Houston are not very a) observant or b) happening.

Anyway, here's footage I took of a typical weekend night in downtown Houston. Yes, the core of downtown. Not some fringe entertainment complex (though downtown Houston has a couple of those now).

http://www.youtube.com/user/worldlym.../3/9wmX8uw5IrA

What Sunbelt city offers this pure nocturnal urban environment? Not Miami. Not LA. Not Dallas. Not Phoenix. Not Atlanta. Not Tampa. Austin and San Antonio are more "theme" oriented to me. San Fran...is that a true Sun Belt city? It's more traditional Eastern. So in all actual Sun Belt context, here we are.

I love meandering and traipsing around Hollywood-Highland, certain sections of Wilshire and some parts of the Sunset Strip...but they ain't no downtown Houston.

Sure there's the Gas Lamp in San Diego but there's something awfully too packaged and whitebread about that so-called nightlife district. Yeah, and I lived in downtown San Diego for 3 months too. Horton Plaza was a plus in the area though.

But downtown Houston. It's just a mix of space-age architecture, grand cultural monuments, new neon trim and pedestrian walkways that put it definitely above the Gas Lamp in terms of urban ambience.

Consider Houston is low-density sprawl and has many other entertainment districts outside of downtown such as Rice Village among others:

http://www.youtube.com/user/worldlym.../0/ybaNSfmAQFk

I love how downtown Houston is but one option for a night out in the greater H-town area. Or there's Midtown's catwalk of places, Washington Ave's trendy for the moment night spots, Kemah's Light House District for some seabreeze and al fresco drinking...areas different in ambience and pace from downtown...

Space City, you are awesome.

Last edited by worldlyman; 02-11-2010 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,079,359 times
No offense, but there didn't seem to be all that much street activity in either of those videos.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM

20,518 posts, read 33,572,975 times
I can't see the video as I am at work and youtube is blocked. But I think downtown Atlanta can hold it's own in this department. But I have noted that Downtown Houston is making huge strides. The only thing right now that is missing is residents. If they can get 10-20,000, everything else will fall into place.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
No offense, but there didn't seem to be all that much street activity in either of those videos.
Well, you must not be seeing human beings. Especially in downtown. Rice Village is more of a laid back entertainment area when we don't feel like alleyways and other such urban hubris.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I can't see the video as I am at work and youtube is blocked. But I think downtown Atlanta can hold it's own in this department. But I have noted that Downtown Houston is making huge strides. The only thing right now that is missing is residents. If they can get 10-20,000, everything else will fall into place.
I'm not really concerned about downtown residents as I once was way back. But as long as there are things to do, that's better.

I haven't been to the ATL since 2002...did substantial nightlife activity ever move to the core? I never thought much went on in the downtown core after 5pm aside from the Underground until closing time.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM

23,478 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I'm not really concerned about downtown residents as I once was way back. But as long as there are things to do, that's better.

I haven't been to the ATL since 2002...did substantial nightlife activity ever move to the core? I never thought much went on in the downtown core after 5pm aside from the Underground until closing time.
Yes, much more than in 2002, particularly in Castleberry Hill and the area around Centennial Park.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,388,424 times
So I guess we aren't counting Las Vegas as the Sunbelt anymore, even though the last thing they need is more sun

Its ok though, I can't judge nightlife because I'm not 21 yet. Gotta wait 6 months for that one...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,254,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
LOL.

I always read this horribly spread misconception that there's nothing to do in downtown Houston after 5 or on the weekends.

Don't know how that started after the post-1998 renaissance that went on over there. But since then, people who say such falsehoods about downtown Houston are not very a) observant or b) happening.

Anyway, here's footage I took of a typical weekend night in downtown Houston. Yes, the core of downtown. Not some fringe entertainment complex (though downtown Houston has a couple of those now).

http://www.youtube.com/user/worldlym.../3/9wmX8uw5IrA

What Sunbelt city offers this pure nocturnal urban environment? Not Miami. Not LA. Not Dallas. Not Phoenix. Not Atlanta. Not Tampa. Austin and San Antonio are more "theme" oriented to me. San Fran...is that a true Sun Belt city? It's more traditional Eastern. So in all actual Sun Belt context, here we are.

I love meandering and traipsing around Hollywood-Highland, certain sections of Wilshire and some parts of the Sunset Strip...but they ain't no downtown Houston.
I cannot possibly take anyone seriously who thinks that the nightlife in Houston outdoes Miami/South Beach and Los Angeles. I'm not saying that Houston doesn't have their share of nightlife, but to try to say that it's comparable to Miami/South Beach or LA is a joke. And you forgot Vegas. How convenient.

Have you even been to South Beach to make such a judgement?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I cannot possibly take anyone seriously who thinks that the nightlife in Houston outdoes Miami/South Beach and Los Angeles. I'm not saying that Houston doesn't have their share of nightlife, but to try to say that it's comparable to Miami/South Beach or LA is a joke. And you forgot Vegas. How convenient.

Have you even been to South Beach to make such a judgement?
Didn't you see the videos??? Thousands and thousands of Houstonians walking around partying.

Those videos make South Beach look like Bakersfield!

Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,254,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Didn't you see the videos??? Thousands and thousands of Houstonians walking around partying.

Those videos make South Beach look like Bakersfield!

I saw the videos, unabashed Houston Homer (I hope you're kidding, seriously). I still don't think that Houston's nightlife "blows Miami" out of the water as the OP stated.

I do find the nightlife in Miami a bit, shall we say, overrated, BUT I've been to South Beach and other parts of South Florida too many times and DT Houston enough to know that the two don't compare, and I'm not going to let such a lie go so easily. Again, I'm not denying Houston's nightlife, but they're not comparable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H66dDAh_6XE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q9Bv7vUE70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4TNDOxyPS4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8JrEm7XCuE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City