Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM

46 posts, read 111,292 times

Advertisements

Backward? The rest of the US besides the cradle of world culture known as Kentucky of course.

I think Cincinnati is backwards because I can't get sweet tea in the restaurants there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Those are the facts.
No, that's your opinion.

And you did say they brought the problems of their former areas with them (another opinion) which, IMO, would be considered "ills".

Old 03-17-2010, 08:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Why do western interior states tend to be so socially conservative?
My guess is Mormon Influence. Also rural areas tend to be that way to start with as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
The Ozark region--southwestern Missouri and northern Arkansas. Traveling through there is like traveling back in time.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
They somehow believe that they "own" the areas in which they live, and get mad when people from more sophisticated areas try to change their region for the better.
I know this is a super old post from the first page, but I find that attitude quite odd.

Some places just don't want to change, and don't need to. There's people that want to build (vacation houses, etc) in my dad's old village in Europe. Everyone that's grown up there is vehemently opposed to it. It even riles me up a bit.

Why spoil some of the truly unspoiled beautiful areas of this earth for no reason? Visit, sure, but don't expect to completely change a place with low populations. Some prefer to keep it that way and don't see what these "sophisticated" people are doing as 'progress'.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 PM

26 posts, read 46,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster21 View Post
Backward? The rest of the US besides the cradle of world culture known as Kentucky of course.

I think Cincinnati is backwards because I can't get sweet tea in the restaurants there.
Off topic... But
I was so proud to find that McD's offers their "Southern Style Sweet Tea" in restaurants even in areas where you don't typically find sweet tea (Although it's not as good as the 'real thing').. Places like Chicago, St. Louis, etc..... Then I went to Wisconsin.

That was the hardest week I've had on the road. Beautiful location. NO sweet tea. I'm pretty sure I experienced DT's.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 PM

26 posts, read 46,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

Why spoil some of the truly unspoiled beautiful areas of this earth for no reason? Visit, sure, but don't expect to completely change a place with low populations. Some prefer to keep it that way and don't see what these "sophisticated" people are doing as 'progress'.
Very well put. Thank you!

My town has a couple hundred people.. So small that we don't even have a post office! Our mail is brought to us via the post-office in the next town over.

I'm by no means "backwards". I have a degree from a fabulous SEC college, a great job that allows me to travel and that deals with technology and computer systems, and I have all of my teeth.

I absolutely miss everything about my town when I'm gone. I miss my land, I know my neighbors and the people that frequent the store down the road (no gas station.. but a very tiny mini-mart), and who all the dogs belong to, in case they ever are out on the loose. There are no murders, I haven't heard of a burglary since I graduated college, although ..there are an lot of folks that can't seem to keep it anywhere near the speed limit in front of my house.

There is no cable run anywhere near my house. And I choose to not get satellite... I get 14 good channels via antenna. You can get air-cards from Verizon or other phone carriers... but cell phone service is (unfortunately.. ) terrible out here, so those don't work, so dial up for internet is my only option. If you get slow internet, that'll keep you off of it for the most part.

So, maybe it is a slow-paced, backwards little town.. Or maybe it's just exactly how we want it. I haven't seen any petitions floating around to get cable, or a mall, or anything else. I LOVE it.

Looooong post. Sorry guys (clearly, I'm at work... with very little to do )

Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I think the most backward area in the country just follows Sarah Palin around from place to place.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:04 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default most backward in 1949 was So Jersey......

If you attended the University of Delaware in 1949 this is what you learned about the difference between north and south Jersey. Excerpt from "College Geography", copyright 1949.

" The backward pinebelt of NJ lies on the very border of the greatest industrial and commercial district of the US, yet most of the land is still covered with pine and brush, and the cultural landscape indicates that the people are classed among the most backward of this prosperous country.

Many inhabitants dwell in cabins that have neither have carpets or paint; most of the adult population go barefooted in the summer; and the limited agriculture development indicates a shiftlessness which is in sharp contrast to the energy displayed by farmers who cultivate intensively the well-kept truck farms located on the clay loam soils farther north. The backward conditions of the pine belt have persisted through the centuries......."

Old 03-18-2010, 07:32 AM

6,343 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, that's your opinion.

And you did say they brought the problems of their former areas with them (another opinion) which, IMO, would be considered "ills".
That is correct. Sprawl among other things did not exist until the outsiders moved in, drove up housing prices and taxes.

Why is it that people that are not natives to an area disagree with the assessment that when lots of outsiders move into an area over a relatively short period of time the landscape and lifestyle is dramatically altered?

I've even seen it in my own hometown in Connecticut. It grew from 2,500 people in 1950 to its current population of 24,000 in just 60 years. And a significant number of newcomers come from other regions of the country such as the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City