Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHich city has the best freeway system of the 10 largest MSA's?
Dallas/Ft. Worth 142 18.88%
Houston 174 23.14%
LA 186 24.73%
NYC 36 4.79%
Chicago 60 7.98%
Philly 15 1.99%
DC 20 2.66%
Miami 12 1.60%
Atlanta 60 7.98%
Detroit 47 6.25%
Voters: 752. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 AM

484 posts, read 882,995 times

Advertisements

This should be based on congestion, quality, connections with other cities, and coverage throughout the city and it's surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
HOUSTON

Widest freeways in the World (22-26 lanes is not uncommon in H-Town). More 5 level stacks than most cities. Most modern of the bunch. Can be navigated blind folded after you get used to it. Hub & spoke design makes it extremely efficient.

Downside: Ugly strip malls fronting the feeders/access roads, but what can I say its a Texas thang y'all.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 10-21-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 09:30 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
HOUSTON

Widest freeways in the World (22-26 lanes is not uncommon). More 5 level stacks than most cities. Most modern of the bunch. Can be navigated blind folded after you get used to it. Hub & spoke design makes it extremely efficient.

Downside: Ugly strip malls fronting the feeders/access roads, but what can I say its a Texas thang.
To me it's a toss up between Houston and Los Angeles.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
To me it's a toss up between Houston and Los Angeles.
LA's network is far more extensive than Houston's, it has to be, but Houston has LA beat on wider freeways & more miles of HOV lanes. Also, LA doesn't light up its freeways with 200' tall steel masts like Houston does. When I visited LA that's one thing that surprised me was how dark their freeways were at night time.

These 200' tall light poles line all of Houston's freeways.

http://erikanapoletano.com/wp-conten...3/photo-51.jpg

The Katy Freeway is lined with them as far as the eye can see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...as_IH10.1.jpeg

Last edited by JMT; 10-21-2013 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
This should be based on congestion, quality, connections with other cities, and coverage throughout the city and it's surrounding area.
LA does pretty poorly on three of those (congestion, quality, and coverage), not sure why so many people think it's "the best". A lot of the freeways are older and not up to modern day standards. Road quality is pretty subpar in a lot of places. And coverage is actually pretty bad in a lot of areas, which is good and bad. You don't want a bunch of freeways tearing up the city but at the same time it leads to a lot of street traffic and congestion issues in LA. Orange County and surrounding areas are better overall than LA proper/basin when it comes to freeways.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
Both Dallas and Houston have pretty nice freeways from my experience. I was pretty impressed. I voted Houston.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
LA does pretty poorly on three of those (congestion, quality, and coverage), not sure why so many people think it's "the best". A lot of the freeways are older and not up to modern day standards. Road quality is pretty subpar in a lot of places. And coverage is actually pretty bad in a lot of areas, which is good and bad. You don't want a bunch of freeways tearing up the city but at the same time it leads to a lot of street traffic and congestion issues in LA. Orange County and surrounding areas are better overall than LA proper/basin when it comes to freeways.
This.

Los Angeles does not have a great freeway system. When it was built, it was state of the art. But for many routes, that was over 50 years ago. I just moved to Pasadena and the 110N has got to be one of the most antiquated freeways in the nation (i.e. stop signs on the off-ramps and about 15 yard-long ramps to get up to speed).

Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
It is between LA and Houston, with the edge to Houston. The network may not be as large, because the area itself isn't as large as LA, but it is more modern and, perhaps, efficient.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Phoenix isn't a poll choice but that's what I would choose as the nicest freeway network. They are wide enough, several routes throughout the whole valley, large flyover interchanges, most if not all of the freeways in the metro are pretty well illimunated with mast lighting in the medians, and probably the most modern and effiecient freeway network I've seen anywhere.

I haven't seen Houston's but obviously they are well known as the champion city of freeways. Other honorable mentions...

-Salt Lake City: the whole system got an overhaul makeover for the Olympics in 2002, nice wide & modern freeways there.

-Toronto: The 401 freeway coming from Montreal crossing the northern tier of the city to the airport is a monster, comparable to Houston's freeways with a dizzying lane count.

-Dallas: The Central Expressway/75 and the High Five interchange are very nicely done.

The worst....

-Philadelphia: The four laner (two each way) on I-76 is ridiculous.

-Boston: The Big Dig works OK through town , but the cloverleaf loop interchanges and all highways south town suck.

-Portland: not terrible but compared to most Western cities not very good, especially where I-5 narrows to four lanes (two each way ) on the East side of downtown.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-21-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 04:11 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
I voted for Chicago, very easy to navigate for a big city. Plus I like the term expressway as opposed to freeway. Kennedy Expressway, Eisenhower Expressway, Dan Ryan Expressway, Stevenson Expressway, Edens Expressway, and this one don't have expressway in its name but The Chicago Skyway is another one. I just love the name of all of these, its just like you know you are in a serious metro area with these names. Chicago has a few freeways as well, not sure where Lake Shore Drive falls on being an expressway or freeway but a nice drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City