Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:37 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think black neighborhoods don't exist anymore, for the most part. Black folks live all over the city like all the other races\ ethnic groups. Compton is hispanic.
There is an upscale neighborhood that may still be majority black: Baldwin Hills\ Ladera Hts.
Compton is majority Hispanic, but not overwhelmingly so. 62% in the last census and I think that it may have declined in just the last couple years. Baldwin Hills and Ladera Heights are definitely still majority black.

FWIW LA still does have a swath that is still about 50% black or more. Basically the west side of Compton, North Carson, North Gardena. Southern South LA, North Inglewood, Crenshaw, etc. It's pretty much contiguous, but only a few miles wide. It probably has over 600,000 people in maybe 60 square miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM

269 posts, read 416,244 times
Brooklyn, hands down.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Yorktown, Wynnefiled, Wynnfield Heights, Overbrook Park, Overbrook Farms, Olney, East and West Oak Lane, Germantown, Stenton. All some pretty awesome nearly all black/middle class neighborhoods in Philadelphia.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,933 times
New York - Harlem

CASE CLOSED

Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post

I would say look into the inner-beltway of Prince Georges County, MD. Inner-Beltway is not as affluent as the upper middle class Outer-Beltway of Prince Georges County but I know for a fact that it still has a strong middle class. Maybe a user from the DMV can fill you in on the areas to avoid around there since i'm not 100% sure and I don't want to give misleading information. I know that the inner-beltway fulfills most of your criteria though.
The inner beltway of PG County and the outer beltway both have AA dominated neighborhoods. Inner beltway is older more middle- working class. Outer beltway more middle-upperclass. However, its not segregated, well to do folks be in the hood areas and hood folks be in the well to do areas.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
Chicago: Hyde Park (long an integrated haven for prosperous African Americans) South Kenwood (where Pres. Obama lives)
Philaldelphia: Mt. Airy (beautiful homes, prosperous professionals)
NYC: Ft. Greene, Clinton Hill (Brooklyn neighborhoods that I'd call demographic twins to Hyde Park/Kenwood)
NJ: Maplewood, Teaneck, maybe Montclair (a very cool place, but last I knew Montclair was only about 1/3 black and many of those folks are not affluent)

Old 03-10-2012, 03:01 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,788 times
Mt Airy is not a black neighborhood. It's a famously mixed neighborhood. I grew up around there.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:11 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,507,746 times
baldwin hills, california
ladera heights, california
view park-windsor hills, california
redan, georgia
mitchellville, maryland
fort washington, maryland
friendly, maryland
southfield, michigan
roselle, new jersey
hillcrest, new york
uniondale, new york
bloomfield, connecticut
quinby, south carolina
forest park, oklahoma
atlanta, georgia
kettering, maryland
woodmore, maryland

Old 03-10-2012, 03:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Ladera heights LA ( CA)
70% of african americans.The median income for a household in the CDP was $90,233, and the median income for a family was $103,174
Yes, didn't think of that. Oui, c'est ca!

Growing up near Ladera, it was definitely NOT 70% black (or whatever the politically correct term is today). It was about 10 or 20%. But I wouldn't consider it a "real" African-American neighborhood - it's more of an upper-middle class enclave for LA's black professionals, along with Baldwin Hills and View Park. And there are a lot of WHITE professionals in LA who can't afford to live there.

I was going to say some of the African-American communities in the suburbs of Seattle and Portland. In Seattle, it would be the S.E. side of the city. The housing stock looks similar to what you find in other in-town neighborhoods (that are unjustifiably expensive), but the racial make-up is different...I was thinking Madrona, Rainier Beach, etc.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-10-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Mt Airy is not a black neighborhood. It's a famously mixed neighborhood. I grew up around there.
East Mt. Airy is very black indeed... West Mt. Airy is very mixed/mostly white... but a decent amount of blacks as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City