Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more pedstrian friendly?
LA 48 64.00%
Miamo 27 36.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 04:42 AM

79 posts, read 76,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
BUT the LEAST walkable city? Less walkable then LA? If you say Miami is the least walkable city in the US then you must be blinded by your hatred for Miami. I saw your post in another thread about Miami. From the looks of things you have a real hatred for the city, which allows you to over exaggerate it's negatives. But hey, I could be wrong.
I don't hate the city, although I tire of people like you who won't even acknowledge its problems.

Tell me how walkable Miami is, how there are dozens of parks and open spaces and trails? Otherwise, put a proverbial sock in it and accept a difference of opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 AM

71 posts, read 340,675 times
Downtown Miami and the nearby areas are quite densely populated. The areas near downtown and on Miami Beach, I have usually seen lots of people walking on the streets. This does not apply to the suburbs. In Miami, south of around the Omni Complex (site of the former mall, the hotel still exists) stretching down to the Rickenbacker Causeway has a skyline almost as impressive as Chicago. There is a people mover monorail as well as the elevated metrorail system. US-1 (Biscayne Blvd) has buses travelling up and down it every few minutes. I do believe that there are night buses as well in some areas. I am aware that some service cuts to alternative transit have occurred in Miami, which may have reduced the number of people trying to avoid using their cars to get around.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic109 View Post
I don't hate the city, although I tire of people like you who won't even acknowledge its problems.

Tell me how walkable Miami is, how there are dozens of parks and open spaces and trails? Otherwise, put a proverbial sock in it and accept a difference of opinion
I admit Miami has plenty of problems, but it's people like you who LOVE to over exaggerate it's problems, and then try to go into "hey it's a fact" mode. It's one thing to present facts, it's another to over exaggerate. The LEAST walkable city in the US? Really? Are you sure about that? Tell me that's not over exaggerating. There is nothing wrong with difference of opinions, just don't over exaggerate the negatives of a city, and then EXPECT for someone NOT to correct you. If you're gonna say Miami is the LEAST walkable city in the US, then you better expect someone to correct you. Are you new to C-D?

Last edited by polo89; 03-06-2010 at 11:56 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 11:54 AM

Here is Americas least walkable cities: As You can see Miami is not on that top 10 list: The Top 10 Least Walkable U.S. Cities : TreeHugger

Old 03-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguru View Post
Downtown Miami and the nearby areas are quite densely populated. The areas near downtown and on Miami Beach, I have usually seen lots of people walking on the streets. This does not apply to the suburbs. In Miami, south of around the Omni Complex (site of the former mall, the hotel still exists) stretching down to the Rickenbacker Causeway has a skyline almost as impressive as Chicago. There is a people mover monorail as well as the elevated metrorail system. US-1 (Biscayne Blvd) has buses travelling up and down it every few minutes. I do believe that there are night buses as well in some areas. I am aware that some service cuts to alternative transit have occurred in Miami, which may have reduced the number of people trying to avoid using their cars to get around.
Exactly, you speak the truth.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Here is Americas least walkable cities: As You can see Miami is not on that top 10 list: The Top 10 Least Walkable U.S. Cities : TreeHugger
I am surprised to see LA on the list for best walkable cities.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I am surprised to see LA on the list for best walkable cities.
Yeah, there are many areas(from what I heard) in which one can walk in LA.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:12 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Yeah, there are many areas(from what I heard) in which one can walk in LA.
LA's complicated when it comes to declaring it walkable or not. There are many of individual neighborhoods that are very pedestrian-friendly, it's just that going from one neighborhood to the other will usually require the use of an automobile or a long bus ride. Also, LA has a TON of densely packed strip malls along its major boulevards. Take a look at this one for example, right in the heart of Hollywood. Websites like walkscore see that an LA neighborhood has a dentist, a pizza place, a grocery store, a hardware store, etc. all within the same block and declares it a "walker's paradise". However, it does not take into account whether those businesses are in strip malls or are located along more pedestrian-oriented streets. Yes, you can walk to a lot of things if your neighborhood is full of strip malls, but it won't be very pleasant. The comfort-level of walking is a very important part of pedestrian-friendliness.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
LA's complicated when it comes to declaring it walkable or not. There are many of individual neighborhoods that are very pedestrian-friendly, it's just that going from one neighborhood to the other will usually require the use of an automobile or a long bus ride. Also, LA has a TON of densely packed strip malls along its major boulevards. Take a look at this one for example, right in the heart of Hollywood. Websites like walkscore see that an LA neighborhood has a dentist, a pizza place, a grocery store, a hardware store, etc. all within the same block and declares it a "walker's paradise". However, it does not take into account whether those businesses are in strip malls or are located along more pedestrian-oriented streets. Yes, you can walk to a lot of things if your neighborhood is full of strip malls, but it won't be very pleasant. The comfort-level of walking is a very important part of pedestrian-friendliness.
What's the difference between walking to stores in a strip mall or walking to stores on the main street? Also steep streets discourage people from walking in parts of LA. People living downtown & in Hollywood can walk rather than drive everywhere but, overall, LA is a car-oriented city.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:47 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What's the difference between walking to stores in a strip mall or walking to stores on the main street?
There's a big difference in terms of pedestrian comfort. If a person is not comfortable walking in an area, it doesn't matter how many businesses there are, they most likely won't walk there. Compare this street scene in Hollywood to this street scene a few miles away in Pasadena. See the difference? Which looks more inviting to the pedestrian? Those streets in Hollywood probably have a much larger concentration of businesses than those streets in Pasadena. However, since those businesses in Hollywood are all located within strip malls, people aren't going to be as inclined to walk there as they would in Pasadena. Strip malls are designed with the automobile, not the pedestrian in mind, and that design affects how comfortable pedestrians are in that environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City