Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which place has a better alternative music scene and nightlife
Atlanta 98 68.53%
Houston 51 35.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times

Advertisements

Every time I hear the phrase "Houston music scene," this is the first song I think of:

"Back Then" - Mike Jones

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Atlanta has not only the largest Black gay pride but it has also one the largest gay pride events

African american Sponsorship

Annual pride
Atlanta Pride Guide 2010
usually there are over 300,000 that attend Atlantas

Nah, Houston's Pride is not geared to any race, But the Splash party is.

I didn't know that ATL pride was in Oct. We do the Stonewall Pride which means scorching heat. I think we would get a bigger crowd if it was held in Oct.

I think Dallas has their parade in September. Our Mayor was the Grand Marshall for Dallas's parade last year. Our Old Mayor also went to the Dallas Parade but he was campaigning for Governor so he would go. I am surprised that the Dallas Mayor himself didn't go. I think our Mayors and representatives have a long history of attending.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Every time I hear the phrase "Houston music scene," this is the first song I think of:

"Back Then" - Mike Jones

That's terrible.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Nah, Houston's Pride is not geared to any race, But the Splash party is.

I didn't know that ATL pride was in Oct. We do the Stonewall Pride which means scorching heat. I think we would get a bigger crowd if it was held in Oct.

I think Dallas has their parade in September. Our Mayor was the Grand Marshall for Dallas's parade last year. Our Old Mayor also went to the Dallas Parade but he was campaigning for Governor so he would go. I am surprised that the Dallas Mayor himself didn't go. I think our Mayors and representatives have a long history of attending.

It used to be in June in the heat and it still had those numbers. but they moved it to october about 2 years ago. MIami has the best black gay pride Sizzle weekend is the shhhhiittt.. Nikki Minaj and countless celebs such as jasmine sullivan Ciara Monica,Vivca fox Lil Kim, Chaka Khan, and the list goes on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nNhq...eature=related

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 05-17-2011 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yeah, Houston's Pride has been drawing over 200K people for a while now. It has gotten too big IMO.

Last year's was too long and there were too many floats from Churches. I counted about 15 churches. I remember back in the day when they would throw out the good stuff into the crowd. You know the church isn't gonna throw out good stuff, so all that is tossed nowadays is beads.

The after parties are huge.

There has been talk about Moving the parade, but that would affect the after parties too much.

Houston just got done with its Splash Beach party Sunday and its bunnies on the Bayou celebration last month.

Dallas's Metro is supposed to have more gay people, I dunno why their parade is so small.

And SA's and Austin's are a joke. really tiny.
People from Austin and SA usually come to Houston's instead.
Dallas has a huge, vibrant gay population. one of the largest in the US. But the Pride here is not nearly as big of a deal as one would think. The pride is not held in official pride month first of all and on top of that There are events held in June to celebrate pride month "Razzle Dazzle Dallas" which has more events and bigger named celebs than actual Pride and to top it off the pride organizers for Dallas do a pretty ****ty job making the weekend worth your while. The entertainment is dull and the festival in the park is so short and they will charge you a cover to attend. So all of that combined makes for a not as great event as you'd expect in an otherwise very gay friendly city. The gayborhood puts on an amazing Halloween festival every year though, one of the largest in the country.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas has a huge, vibrant gay population. one of the largest in the US. But the Pride here is not nearly as big of a deal as one would think. The pride is not held in official pride month first of all and on top of that There are events held in June to celebrate pride month "Razzle Dazzle Dallas" which has more events and bigger named celebs than actual Pride and to top it off the pride organizers for Dallas do a pretty ****ty job making the weekend worth your while. The entertainment is dull and the festival in the park is so short and they will charge you a cover to attend. So all of that combined makes for a not as great event as you'd expect in an otherwise very gay friendly city. The gayborhood puts on an amazing Halloween festival every year though, one of the largest in the country.
oh wow, yeah that combination sure does not set it up for a large event.

The Halloween festival in Houston is new but it is already a big deal. the bars are all just open, the streets are blocked off and a stage is set up in the middle and they put on best costume contests and have Drag Races and stuff.

I think it is getting as big as Pride. Halloween is now just as fun for adults as it is for kids cause there are so many parties going on all over the city.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmagoku View Post
I may need to be a bit more specific. I want
Indie rock
Metal
Hardcore
Dance

Not rap.

Guys wearing skinny jeans
Girls wearing American Appy and thrift clothing
So Metal is considered alternative music now? That's funny. I remember in the 80's it was very mainstream. Alot of Metal songs were on the pop charts and alot of white guys would wear different Metal group shirts to school and sport Heavy Metal hairstyles.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:46 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Atlanta is way more alternative and artsy.
Better rave/EDM scene too with a lot of locals who are national headliners.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
So Metal is considered alternative music now? That's funny. I remember in the 80's it was very mainstream. Alot of Metal songs were on the pop charts and alot of white guys would wear different Metal group shirts to school and sport Heavy Metal hairstyles.
Wasn't a lot of that 80s Metal considered "Hair Metal"?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Wasn't a lot of that 80s Metal considered "Hair Metal"?

Yeah, and that WAS mainstream. That type of metal a long with the bigger thrash bands like Metallica were and still are mainstream and in the 80s that stuff did hit the top pop charts.

I guess they should have said "extreme metal" like Death Metal or Metalcore when they meant alternative because that stuff rarely hit the pop charts. Even then only a few Nu-metal bands even touch the pop charts today.

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 08-27-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City