Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best in your opinion?
Denver - Aurora 3 3.06%
Dallas - Ft. Worth 25 25.51%
San Fransisco - San Jose 12 12.24%
Tampa - St. Petersburg 5 5.10%
Minneapolis - St. Paul 47 47.96%
Seattle - Bellevue 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:37 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
San Jose is not analogous to Bellevue at all. Are you kidding? Not only is it older than San Francisco (and Bellevue by nearly a century) but it's 50 miles away, not across a lake.
San Jose may have history but 95% of it is post 1950's suburban sprawl unbroken by 101 and 280 to SF and would never have existed if not spawned by SF. So is Bellevue (albeit less of a distance), and so is Aurora. San Jose is trying to be a real city and just now catching up. SF is the nucleus of the entire region. Across the bay Oakland is a real city. SJ is a mega surburb. So the irony is who are you kidding?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-03-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:24 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Gotta go with the true Twin Cities on this one.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:08 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
the twincities of minneapolis and stpaul have been that for over a hundred years. its hard to see anything else being called that.

They used to be referred to as the "Dual Cities"

The term 'Twin' Started a little after the 1900s.

Not saying you're wrong, just throwing in some extra spice!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:14 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Minneapolis and St. Paul on this one, but I'm biased.

Minneapolis: 56 sq miles St. Paul: 52 sq miles
Minneapolis: 380,000 pop St. Paul: 290,000 pop

Both border each other. Both have downtowns situated on the Mississippi River.
Both have an I94 and I35 going through downtown.
If you were'nt a lifelong resident, you'd think it was just one 108 sq mile, 670,000 pop. city.

In actuality, socially speaking, the two cities couldnt be more different. Minneapolis is cosmopolitan, St. Paul is more historic. Minneapolis is more 'white collar' St Paul is blue collar. Minneapolis was settled for Grain and flour mills, St. Paul as a Fort. Minneapolis is mainly protestant, St. Paul is Catholic. Minneapolis was settled by more Germans and Polish and St. Paul was settled by Irish. Minneapolis is more Somali culture and St. Paul is Hmong culuture.

That's why all of our sports teams are 'Minnesota' not 'Twin Cities' or 'Minneapolis Twins or Vikings' because it created tension between the two cities.

Had they Called the Wild the St. Paul Wild, the Franchises of Vikings and Twins would probably be called the Minneapolis _____s.

Dallas/FT is the only other Twin Cities I think of. Maybe Tampa

Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
San Jose may have history but 95% of it is post 1950's suburban sprawl unbroken by 101 and 280 to SF and would never have existed if not spawned by SF. So is Bellevue (albeit less of a distance), and so is Aurora. San Jose is trying to be a real city and just now catching up. SF is the nucleus of the entire region. Across the bay Oakland is a real city. SJ is a mega surburb. So the irony is who are you kidding?
If San Francisco was integral in spawning another city, why not Daly City? That's right next door. Why aren't the same industries prevalent in San Francisco as in San Jose? There's a reason the census bureau considers them to be separate metro areas.

You spouted off without knowing a thing and now you're trying to rationalize your bull****. Just bow out now.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
If San Francisco was integral in spawning another city, why not Daly City? That's right next door. Why aren't the same industries prevalent in San Francisco as in San Jose? There's a reason the census bureau considers them to be separate metro areas.

You spouted off without knowing a thing and now you're trying to rationalize your bull****. Just bow out now.
Your funny because you are not even making a point. The thread topic is twin cities in which Oakland is more qualified even though the OP said San Jose to SF. So what's Daly City got to do with anything? So why arn't the same industries in Redmond, WA prevalent in Seattle? What's your point? I've been all over the bay area. So I was saying SJ and the Silicon Valley was indeed spawned off as a mega suburb of SF. Sorry you can't handle the answer but maybe you could rationalize your own missing point, so I'm not going anywhere.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:34 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
So you are saying that tons of SJ residents would commute an hour to SF in the 50s? Do you have stats to show this?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that tons of SJ residents would commute an hour to SF in the 50s? Do you have stats to show this?
I said post 1950's suburbs, and Cal Train is a commuter rail between SF and SJ and BART wants to expand to SJ (imagine that - SJ in the Bay area) I see southern Marin County down to Gilroy and over just past Richmond and Walnut Creek as in the Bay Area. Sure East Bay, Silicon Valley, and just over the Golden Gate have their own dynamic, but it all started in San Francisco. Next came Oakland, and it grew out from there.

Of course we can agree to disagree as I'm sure everyone else might want to focus elsewhere. The true twin cities are really Minneapolis and St. Paul, and others such as DFW and Tampa Bay for comparisons.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-03-2010 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
There is only one Twin Cities, and they aren't in California, Florida, Colorado, Texas, or Washington.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:17 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Minneapolis and St. Paul on this one, but I'm biased.

Minneapolis: 56 sq miles St. Paul: 52 sq miles
Minneapolis: 380,000 pop St. Paul: 290,000 pop

Both border each other. Both have downtowns situated on the Mississippi River.
Both have an I94 and I35 going through downtown.
If you were'nt a lifelong resident, you'd think it was just one 108 sq mile, 670,000 pop. city.

In actuality, socially speaking, the two cities couldnt be more different. Minneapolis is cosmopolitan, St. Paul is more historic. Minneapolis is more 'white collar' St Paul is blue collar. Minneapolis was settled for Grain and flour mills, St. Paul as a Fort. Minneapolis is mainly protestant, St. Paul is Catholic. Minneapolis was settled by more Germans and Polish and St. Paul was settled by Irish. Minneapolis is more Somali culture and St. Paul is Hmong culuture.

That's why all of our sports teams are 'Minnesota' not 'Twin Cities' or 'Minneapolis Twins or Vikings' because it created tension between the two cities.

Had they Called the Wild the St. Paul Wild, the Franchises of Vikings and Twins would probably be called the Minneapolis _____s.

Dallas/FT is the only other Twin Cities I think of. Maybe Tampa
Minneapolis is the economic center, St. Paul is the political center.
They're like opposites, and they go great when they work together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City