Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best in your opinion?
Denver - Aurora 3 3.06%
Dallas - Ft. Worth 25 25.51%
San Fransisco - San Jose 12 12.24%
Tampa - St. Petersburg 5 5.10%
Minneapolis - St. Paul 47 47.96%
Seattle - Bellevue 6 6.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 AM

631 posts, read 1,574,863 times

Advertisements

Okay so which of the options makes for a better Twin City area?

I want a comparison based on the following:

Economy

Culture

Safety/Health/Education (Civics)

I DON'T want praising/bashing a pair because 'it's in {insert state here}' or 'it's in {insert metro here}'. I want REASONS behind your vote!

Last edited by JMT; 07-12-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 08:30 AM

17 posts, read 35,080 times
To me it was down to DFW and SF Bay, but i chose DFW simply because it was cheaper.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:48 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,454,174 times
As much as I like Denver it is not a twin city. This is because Aurora is not a principal city that grew the same time Denver did but is a suburb that oues its growth to Denver.

I picked Minneapolis/ St Paul because when I think of twin cities I think if that area but Dallas/ Fort Worth is a close second and I think the new emerging twin cities in the Pueblo/ Colorado Springs area.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,819 times
They might be just a little bit too far apart...but I'd personally take Austin/San Antonio. Eventually, I think these two could grow into Texas' second Metroplex with a fantastic modern/historical offset between the two. Both are growing like crazy with every town in between benefiting from it, I think it's only a matter of time. Austin is already paired with Round Rock to the north and San Marcos to the south to form an MSA; San Marcos is literally the half way point between San Antonio and Austin and would work as an "Arlington" or "Irving" along with New Braunfels which is currently paired with San Antonio to form an MSA. I think there's only a 15-20 mile stretch that separates San Marcos from New Braunfels, so the two metros are basically right on eachother's doorstep.

But traditionally speaking, Minneapolis/St. Paul is the only real anser to this question.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 03-27-2010 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-27-2010, 10:04 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
I wouldn't consider Denver/ Aurora , Seattle /Bellevue, and San Francisco/San Jose as being on a list of------Twin Cities

Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times
NYC-Jersey City would be better suitable?

Old 03-28-2010, 01:45 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
They might be just a little bit too far apart...but I'd personally take Austin/San Antonio. Eventually, I think these two could grow into Texas' second Metroplex with a fantastic modern/historical offset between the two. Both are growing like crazy with every town in between benefiting from it, I think it's only a matter of time. Austin is already paired with Round Rock to the north and San Marcos to the south to form an MSA; San Marcos is literally the half way point between San Antonio and Austin and would work as an "Arlington" or "Irving" along with New Braunfels which is currently paired with San Antonio to form an MSA. I think there's only a 15-20 mile stretch that separates San Marcos from New Braunfels, so the two metros are basically right on eachother's doorstep.

But traditionally speaking, Minneapolis/St. Paul is the only real anser to this question.
There also looking into commuter rail between Austin/San Antonio

Lone Star Rail District | Home

Old 03-28-2010, 07:15 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
The listing for the "twin cities" in Washington state should be Seattle-Tacoma, not Seattle-Bellevue. That's particularly true if Dallas-Fort Worth (30 miles apart, about the same as Seattle-Tacoma) are listed as twin cities.

Incidentally, I'd also list the Bay Area twin cities as San Francisco-Oakland rather than San Francisco-San Jose. Really, the Bay Area is more of a tri-cities area (San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose) IMO.

Last edited by CHIP72; 03-28-2010 at 07:25 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 07:24 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post

San Marcos is distinctly closer to Austin than it is to San Antonio (I think the mileages are something like 30 and 50 miles respectively); New Braunfels has the exact opposite relationship (30 miles to San Antonio, 50 miles to Austin). Really, San Antonio and Austin are too far apart to be twin cities; those two cities and the smaller cities between and a short distance beyond them are more like an emerging corridor (and I definitely agree that is an emerging corridor).

If San Antonio and Austin are classified as twin cities, then we better classify New York-Philadelphia, Philadelphia-Baltimore (and for that matter Baltimore-Washington), Boston-Providence, Cincinnati-Dayton, Chicago-Milwaukee, and the Bay Area-Sacramento as twin cities too. All of those pairs of cities (or trio of Bay Area cities and Sacramento in northern California's case) are a little less than 100 miles from one another, like San Antonio-Austin (and Baltimore-Washington, Boston-Providence, and Cincinnati-Dayton are all much closer to one another than San Antonio-Austin).

Old 03-28-2010, 09:04 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I wouldn't consider Denver/ Aurora , Seattle /Bellevue, and San Francisco/San Jose as being on a list of------Twin Cities
I wouldn't either. I would only consider the following cities as twin cities.
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Dallas/Fort Worth
Seattle/Tacoma
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Tampa/St.Petersburg

I only did major metro areas all of which are around 3 million or higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City