Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the more dominant mid-sized city that will be a major city first?
Austin 116 36.71%
Charlotte 101 31.96%
Columbus 27 8.54%
Indianapolis 26 8.23%
Sacramento 46 14.56%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,310,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
exactly. Someone who hasn't been to Columbus' urban areas around downtown, in the last few years, doesn't realize how complete the urban fabric of Columbus' central core is.

Columbus' central core liberal, fun, hip, gentrified but still gritty here and there. The central city is progressive and embraces local establishments and culture to the max.

Downtown itself is more of a business district, it's the areas surrounding that are impressive and show how columbus has a independent, fun, hip culture that does differ it from Charlotte or Indy. Those who only see downtown proper don't see this side of columbus.

Economy wise Columbus has fully recovered from the recession and is growing beyond pre recession figures. Austin and Columbus are both the strongest here economically.
I can agree with you but I do disagree with some of your point of view. For one, Charlotte stores actually have a strong economy and is actually the largest out of the group. Also, if your assessment about Columbus holds true, meaning dt is mostly CBD, the same is true of Charlotte. Outside of dt you have NoDa, Southend, and the NC Music Factory. While I will not go to say these areas added mute vibrant than the Short North, I will say they are comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,681,425 times
Quote:
exactly. Someone who hasn't been to Columbus' urban areas around downtown, in the last few years, doesn't realize how complete the urban fabric of Columbus' central core is.

Columbus' central core liberal, fun, hip, gentrified but still gritty here and there. The central city is progressive and embraces local establishments and culture to the max.

Downtown itself is more of a business district, it's the areas surrounding that are impressive and show how columbus has a independent, fun, hip culture that does differ it from Charlotte or Indy. Those who only see downtown proper don't see this side of columbus.
Damn, I sort of agreed with you until the last paragraph.

Quote:
Economy wise Columbus has fully recovered from the recession and is growing beyond pre recession figures. Austin and Columbus are both the strongest here economically.
1, no city in America has "fully recovered from the recession", as it has just "officially" been called over.

2, Austin? Yes. Columbus? Not so much. As the previous poster said, Charlotte is definitely ahead. Both Charlotte and Austin are within the top 10 of almost every list relevant to jobs/job creations out there. Columbus? No.

Last edited by fltonc12; 03-05-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,914,013 times
Quote:

Yes Columbus was nice and u could feel how liberal the place was.. Gays were partying with straight folks everyone was just having a good time .. Race was not a issue there either lots and lots of interracial couples. I enjoyed gallery hop on Saturday also enjoyed the live Raggae bands that played at skullys on Sunday . I also like the fact that after the club there were lots of sidewalk eatery stands that sold gyros pizza hotdogs etc ..Awesome city man

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM

120 posts, read 107,658 times
I've been to all five cities a number of times on business, and I'm not sure I'm prepared to rate them. Still, I can provide a few impressions:

Austin: A wonderful place; not particularly urban in the traditional sense, but I wouldn't expect that of a city in Texas. A great, rollicking, wide-open town with lots of great clubs, barbecue, and an excellent arts and music scene. A great image around the country, as some have mentioned, because of Austin City Limits and SXSW and some other headline events. I wonder, however, if it has the economic backbone to really augment the impact of UT and state government... somebody may be able to correct me on this, but it's always been my impression that the city is highly dependent on both.

Charlotte: I like Charlotte a lot, but not for obvious reasons. I like it because you can get a great hamburger or good barbecue after driving out of downtown about ten miles right before hitting a state border. The high-rises in downtown are impressive, but not really representative to me of what the community's all about. I admit that I was a little peeved after Hugh McColl got the better of David Coulter and essentially carpetbagged Bank of America out of San Francisco, very much a superior city (a move that would have had A.P. Giannini rolling over in his grave and looking for a Mossberg), but I don't think that animosity influences my overall judgment that this is not a city that will rise above second-tier status anytime soon. That's not a knock - I like it a lot. I just think it'll be a great secret for those who choose to explore it.

Columbus: Each time I've been to Columbus, I've taken colleagues out to the Short North and we've had great meals. The city doesn't exactly strike me as the most diverse place on Earth, and that may impact its economic future, but it's a friendly, fun place.

Indianapolis: I like this city, too. Every time I go there I drag clients to the St. Elmo Steak House or Harry & Izzy's (owned by the same folks, I believe), and walk them over to Monument Circle. There's still that Carson, Pirie, Scott building over there, last I checked, which is great in itself. The presence of the Colts helps this city's sports landscape significantly and generates economic activity.

Sacramento: I believe this city may not be the current frontrunner (I'd give that to Austin, despite its lack of major-league sports franchises), but it might well be the best bet for the future. You have a lot of people moving out of the Bay Area and the Los Angeles region who don't want to relocate from California but need a cheaper and less stressful option, and a community that's hungry for arts and entertainment and willing to shell out public money to attract well-paying companies and try to keep its only major-league team (despite the recalcitrance of the Maloofs).

I don't like doing rankings, but I'll least put Austin #1 at the moment and Sacramento #2, with no disrespect intended for any of the other cities.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Damn, I sort of agreed with you until the last paragraph.

1, no city in America has "fully recovered from the recession", as it has just "officially" been called over.

2, Austin? Yes. Columbus? Not so much. As the previous poster said, Charlotte is definitely ahead. Both Charlotte and Austin are within the top 10 of almost every list relevant to jobs/job creations out there. Columbus? No.
Best markets for jobs growth since the recession - The Business Journals

Charlotte is nowhere near recovered, though Austin and Columbus were.

Oklahoma City pops back to No. 1 slot in economic rankings - The Business Journals

Again, Columbus and Austin in the top 5... Charlotte is #53.

Unemployment Rates, December 2012

Austin: 5.0%
Columbus: 5.4%
Charlotte: 9.4%

Yeah, Charlotte looks so good compared to Columbus.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
I've been to all five cities a number of times on business, and I'm not sure I'm prepared to rate them. Still, I can provide a few impressions:

Austin: A wonderful place; not particularly urban in the traditional sense, but I wouldn't expect that of a city in Texas. A great, rollicking, wide-open town with lots of great clubs, barbecue, and an excellent arts and music scene. A great image around the country, as some have mentioned, because of Austin City Limits and SXSW and some other headline events. I wonder, however, if it has the economic backbone to really augment the impact of UT and state government... somebody may be able to correct me on this, but it's always been my impression that the city is highly dependent on both.

Charlotte: I like Charlotte a lot, but not for obvious reasons. I like it because you can get a great hamburger or good barbecue after driving out of downtown about ten miles right before hitting a state border. The high-rises in downtown are impressive, but not really representative to me of what the community's all about. I admit that I was a little peeved after Hugh McColl got the better of David Coulter and essentially carpetbagged Bank of America out of San Francisco, very much a superior city (a move that would have had A.P. Giannini rolling over in his grave and looking for a Mossberg), but I don't think that animosity influences my overall judgment that this is not a city that will rise above second-tier status anytime soon. That's not a knock - I like it a lot. I just think it'll be a great secret for those who choose to explore it.

Columbus: Each time I've been to Columbus, I've taken colleagues out to the Short North and we've had great meals. The city doesn't exactly strike me as the most diverse place on Earth, and that may impact its economic future, but it's a friendly, fun place.

Indianapolis: I like this city, too. Every time I go there I drag clients to the St. Elmo Steak House or Harry & Izzy's (owned by the same folks, I believe), and walk them over to Monument Circle. There's still that Carson, Pirie, Scott building over there, last I checked, which is great in itself. The presence of the Colts helps this city's sports landscape significantly and generates economic activity.

Sacramento: I believe this city may not be the current frontrunner (I'd give that to Austin, despite its lack of major-league sports franchises), but it might well be the best bet for the future. You have a lot of people moving out of the Bay Area and the Los Angeles region who don't want to relocate from California but need a cheaper and less stressful option, and a community that's hungry for arts and entertainment and willing to shell out public money to attract well-paying companies and try to keep its only major-league team (despite the recalcitrance of the Maloofs).

I don't like doing rankings, but I'll least put Austin #1 at the moment and Sacramento #2, with no disrespect intended for any of the other cities.
I don't really get Sacramento. I have never seen or heard anything about it recently, unlike all the others on the list. It just strikes me as very much a 2nd-3rd tier city in California and not much else. All 4 others at least have their names out there making waves.

And your diversity comment about Columbus is strange. It doesn't have the highest white population of the bunch, has the 2nd highest AA populations, is not the lowest in Asians, has the 2nd highest 2 or more race populations, etc. The only group it was low on was Hispanics (5.6%), but it did have one of the fastest rates of growth in the group in that catergory. Same with Asians.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM

979 posts, read 2,095,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I don't really get Sacramento. I have never seen or heard anything about it recently, unlike all the others on the list. It just strikes me as very much a 2nd-3rd tier city in California and not much else. All 4 others at least have their names out there making waves.
Funny because we never hear about Columbus, OH here on the West Coast. What is Columbus known for anyway? Seems like the step-child to Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Funny because we never hear about Columbus, OH here on the West Coast. What is Columbus known for anyway? Seems like the step-child to Cleveland and Cincinnati.
I'm not surprised, there seems to be many West Coasters oblivious to anything east of the Sierra.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM

979 posts, read 2,095,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm not surprised, there seems to be many West Coasters oblivious to anything east of the Sierra.
Or maybe you just have an East Coast bias.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
Or maybe you just have an East Coast bias.
I'm not from the East Coast, either, so no. I don't really like Charlotte, for example. And I hear about other West Coast cities all the time... just not Sacramento. At least not like I do the others in this comparison, anyway. Whatever name it's making for itself, it seems to not be making much nationally.

And let's be honest, it's the smallest city by far of the group, and not the fastest growing, so why would it reach major status before some others in the group, as apparently more people believe? The city proper population is the smallest by far and the metro population is only the largest because it includes several times more land area than the next largest. It has 5x more area than Columbus, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City