Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:14 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
There's a bit of a connection - obviously not as strong as the others cited - between Minnesota and Washington (mostly Minneapolis/Seattle). A lot of Scandinavians in both areas so a bit of cultural similarity.

Wow, happy I saw this. The first I thought of was Washington and Minnesota. I have met 4 different people from Washington who have moved here in the past year- From King, Tacoma, Spokane and Everette.

I also have ran into a bunch over the years!

Also, Minnesota and Colorado... I think the 'outdoors' lifestyle or something has to do with it... I know 3 friends who have siblings that moved to the Denver area.

Also, Minnesota and Michigan. Nobody realizes this, but it's less than a drive from a MN border to Michigan.

Both have M names, both have a lot of lakes, both are great lakes states, Detroit is Hockeytown USA and Minnesota is officially the State of Hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Both have M names, both have a lot of lakes, both are great lakes states, Detroit is Hockeytown USA and Minnesota is officially the State of Hockey.
I'm from Michigan and live in Minnesota, so I do realize this, but most don't. It's less of a drive from my hometown to Minneapolis than from my hometown to Marquette or Ironwood.

However, Michigan and Minnesota DO share a border (near Isle Royale in Lake Superior), and so don't qualify for this thread.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Minnesota and Michigan actually do border each other, albeit the shared border is entirely a maritime border.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
As hdwell said, there is a strong connection between blacks from S. Louisiana and Houston, Los Angeles, San Diego and The Bay Area. I'm not sure if the same is true with N. Louisiana, although I can see them being more connected with Dallas and the Midwest.
No, really California more than anything except Texas for N.La. for Black Folks, and Texas, various SE states, and Colorado for white folks. Colorado is very popular with many Louisianans, esp. up here. I wouldn't mind it myself if my wife would say yes.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:24 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
I think Florida and New York have the most connections I'm one of them

Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
I don't even know about Texas. Every part of it is so different that it's hard to say, and the influx of transplants from like EVERYWHERE, it's kind of confusing...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Hawaii is very connected to California.

I also know of many people from Hawaii now living in Nevada(Vegas).

Old 05-04-2010, 10:23 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
I think CT and NJ have very strong connections, NYC being the major one. lol But culturally and economically too. Also There's a kinda NY MA connection, but really I think it's more of a NYC Boston thing. They have a long history of rivalry going way back, like Yankees vs. Sox of course lol, but I think alotta people think of them as together too. They're both major anchors of Bos-Wash and mostly considered similar culturally.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
I know I will get some flack for this but I feel that there is a huge connection between NC and NJ. I believe this mostly has to do with transplants from NJ to NC. I also feel that with the future of the economy and globalization the country will grow smaller (figuratively speaking that is, more connected you could say) and the economies of NJ and NC could benefit from each other.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Also There's a kinda NY MA connection, but really I think it's more of a NYC Boston thing. They have a long history of rivalry going way back, like Yankees vs. Sox of course lol, but I think alotta people think of them as together too. They're both major anchors of Bos-Wash and mostly considered similar culturally.

NY and MA touch each other though.

I am seriously surprised nobody else is thinking Mass and Maine. I mean, Maine used to be part of Massachusetts! They both share a Maritime New England history and culture. It is a 13 mile drive along the NH coast from one to the other. Southern Maine is sometimes called "North Massachusetts" in a derogatory way by people from Northern Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City