Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd most culturally influential nation in the world:
UK 43 41.35%
France 5 4.81%
Spain 0 0%
Germany 3 2.88%
Italy 6 5.77%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 21 20.19%
China 18 17.31%
India 4 3.85%
Australia 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.92%
Brazil 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times

Advertisements

Not sure if AG will allow this, but.....America is the premiere cultural exporter in the world, but what country do you think is second most influential in this category and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:04 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Not sure if AG will allow this, but.....America is the premiere cultural exporter in the world, but what country do you think is second most influential in this category and why?
The UK, then Canada, for an Asian country Singapore is pretty prominent as well.

Germany is getting there as well. But I still think a good blend of cultures can be found in UK (Thanks to London) and then Canada. Oh and Australia is always a great candidate as well, I've seen so many cultures there, but I don't know how well it would fare against UK, and possibly Canada.

So thats

UK
Canada

Australia
Germany
Singapore (Asian country with cultural blend)

Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 AM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
This section might have to be about the US/Canada, but good idea for a thread. You picked all great countries for the poll. Good job! It's tough. I would probaly have to go with France, UK, or Germany just because of history. But history also plays into affect with China and Russia too.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
This section might have to be about the US/Canada, but good idea for a thread. You picked all great countries for the poll. Good job! It's tough. I would probaly have to go with France, UK, or Germany just because of history. But history also plays into affect with China and Russia too.
Wait did the OP want to know about the diversity of different cultures in a country or culture influence the country has?

Ohh goshhhhh, I feel like I completely misunderstood the point of this thread lol.

I would say UK, France, Germany, and if I believe right, the Dutch also had large colonies across the world.
Mongolia has a lot of cultural impact, especially during Ghengis Khan's time. =P
The Indus River valley for South Asia (India-Pakistan)
And Mesopotamia civilization between the Tigres and Euphorate Rover Valleys in present day Iraq.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
I was talking about what country you think is the most present in world-wide popular culture and media. IE people are porbably listening to American music around the world, what country has the 2nd most such influence?

I'm not talking about history.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Wait did the OP want to know about the diversity of different cultures in a country or culture influence the country has?

Ohh goshhhhh, I feel like I completely misunderstood the point of this thread lol.

I would say UK, France, Germany, and if I believe right, the Dutch also had large colonies across the world.
Mongolia has a lot of cultural impact, especially during Ghengis Khan's time. =P
The Indus River valley for South Asia (India-Pakistan)
And Mesopotamia civilization between the Tigres and Euphorate Rover Valleys in present day Iraq.
lol now I am lost too.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
I was talking about what country you think is the most present in world-wide popular culture and media. IE people are porbably listening to American music around the world, what country has the 2nd most such influence?

Ok, thank you. I would have to go with China right now. Booming economy, and pretty much control our's lol.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:

India's Bollywood sector has gained a mass popularity world wide.
China has a lot of musicians like Hero Jae Jong, and such.
Japan has many musicians as well.
UK bands are normally VERY popular in Asia, and in the America's.
France has many artists (music and art)

I don't know exactly, but it could be any of them.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:40 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I probably should have went Britain, but I seem to recall reading India has the world's largest film industry and some of it is in English.

China should be big, but remaining political restrictions might put the kibosh on them being a huge cultural power. So for the non-English speaking world I'd think either France or Japan.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I probably should have went Britain, but I seem to recall reading India has the world's largest film industry and some of it is in English.

China should be big, but remaining political restrictions might put the kibosh on them being a huge cultural power. So for the non-English speaking world I'd think either France or Japan.
Yeah a lot of the movies made in Bollywood are in English. English is one of their national languages so it goes a big way.
And yeah you are correct, it's recently taken over Hollywood by becoming a larger film industry.

Yes, also correct, PRC has some major restrictions by the government, but all that is a cover up, they have a lot of underground influence. And Hong Kong has no such restriction, because it's a democratic country (SAR-Dependent country) and I've seen a lot of movies made from there as well, as well as Chinese artists that originate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City