Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:49 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times

Advertisements

These are two cities that I have considered relocating to in the future, and I wanted to get some perspective in regards to various aspects of each city. I know that the two couldn't be more different, but I currently live in Atlanta, and it seems that these two cities seem to be compared with Atlanta on some aspects (In other words, I see a lot of Atlanta vs. DC threads and Dallas vs Atlanta threads on C-D quite a bit).

Cost of Living - I already know that Dallas would trump DC on this particular aspect, that pretty much goes without saying.

Transportation - DFW has bad traffic, DC has horrible traffic. The Metro system in DC is one of the best subway systems out there, and if I were to live within or close to the District, that would be my preferred method of transportation. I find driving around Dallas to be fairly easy. On the other hand, I hate driving around the DC area. I'm a fairly aggressive driver, but those DC area drivers have me beat.

Economy - Both of these areas seemed to have weathered the recession a lot better than other metro areas. DFW due to it's business-friendly environment and diverse economy and DC due to being a center of Federal Government. I know that there are those that will make snide, snarky comments about the Government, but I couldn't care less about that, because if I were to move to DC, I'm more than likely to get a job either within the government, or working closely with them. My background is in PR/Marketing, so I'm thinking that my career prospects would be a bit better in DC. There seems to be a strong Corporate Communications market in the DFW area though.

Restaurants - I don't know enough about either to really make a judgment call on this one.

Shopping - While Tysons Corner and Potomac Mills make Northern VA a formidable shopping destination, I'll have to give the edge to Dallas on this one.

Grocery Stores - I like the grocery stores in the DFW area better. I know that Tom Thumb (DFW area) and Safeway (DC Area) are the same store.

Culture - Subjective, but I do want to see what people would say about each, particularly in terms of cultural amenities. Dallas seems to have made a large effort with their Arts District over the past few years. DC feels a lot more cosmopolitan than DFW to me.

I consider myself politically moderate. Depending on the issue, I'm either a liberal or a conservative or indifferent. Also, I'm not exactly the most religious person in the world either. I It goes without saying that politics would be a much more pervasive issue in the DC area and religion would be more pervasive in the DFW area. I'd think I'd stick out like a sore thumb in either area though, LOL.

Also, as an Black man, I'd have to give the edge to the DC area in terms of Black culture.

Access to other cities
- I like to travel, and I'm just now coming to a point in my life to where I'm really able to do this more. I will say that I like DC's access to the other cities of the Northeast. NYC, Philly, Boston, Baltimore are just a train or a bus ride away. I also like the access to the beaches and mountains from DC. Dallas is close to Austin, San Antonio and Houston. The Ouachita mountains are about 2-3 hr drive away. It seems like for nice beaches, I'd either have to go to South Padre Island, Florida or Mexico.

DFW Airport is centrally located, so I would be a 2-3 hr flight to most cities on either coast. DC would have better access to Europe or Africa.

Education - I'd say that the edge would go to DC on this. While none of the Colleges in the DC area are really considered "Ivy League," many are held in high regard (George Washington U, Georgetown, Howard, UM College Park, etc.) Some of the better school districts in the country in Fairfax Co, VA; Montgomery Co, MD; and Howard County, MD. I have heard good things about school districts in many of the Dallas area suburbs though.

City Life - In terms of urbanity, walkable neighborhoods, etc, I'll have to give the edge to DC. When I'm ready to get married and have 2.5 kids, I'd give the edge to suburban DFW. I'm currently single and I don't mind living in an apartment or a condo for the time being.

Weather - Dallas may be hotter-than-hell in the summertime, but I would still give the edge to that area. DC gets quite hot and humid in the summer, and can get quite gloomy and cold in the wintertime. I've lived in California and Florida before, so you can imagine how I handle winters, LOL.

So, I wanted others perspective. It seems the Texas cities and the DC area seem to elicit a strong reaction, so I already know that asking to be civil will be too much

Last edited by grindin; 05-05-2010 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Cost of Living - Dallas, it's a lot more affordable, no doubt.

Transportation - DC, the subway system and public transportation are better. Although DFW is a better airport.

Economy - Tie, both of them have seen a good growth in their economies. Dallas is heavily starting to expand on tech, and it's economy is more diverse than DC's.

Restaurants - This would be a major category for me, they're both good in this department, I prefer Dallas more because of the local Tex-Mex options. DC has great dining as well, they're about equal, but I give Dallas the edge here.

Shopping - Dallas, one of the best shopping cities in the country.

Grocery Stores - I don't know too much about this, but I'm sure this is a tie. Good grocery stores can be found in both of these cities and their respective metros, lol. Unless you're out looking for some extremely high end grocery store, and I'm guessing, that you're not. You should be fine with either city. I've always been satisfied with Dallas grocery stores, and I was a tourist in DC so I didn't need one. lol

Culture - DC by a little bit, Dallas = Texan, DC = Mid Atlantic. Dallas is growing, and it's getting a lot of transplants from the north, west, everywhere basically. It's culture is changing as well, it was a more Texan city than Hoston, and now it's starting to compete with Houston on international scales. There's a lot of cultural expansions as well, Asians, Latino's, African Americans are all growing in numbers here in Dallas. DC, is more cosmopolitan than Dallas, but Dallas is getting there too.

Access to other cities
- DC wins this one, Dallas, immediate access to Fort Worth, 5 hours from Houston, 4 hours from Austin, 5 hours from San Antonio, 5 hours from Oklahoma city. DC, the terminal for the BosWash corridor and proximity to more larger cities than Dallas.

Education - DC, Georgetown, George Washington University, proximity to Johns Hopkins, and proximity to schools in the northeast. Dallas has UT-Dallas, SMU, TCU, but those can't really compare to the DC area.

City Life - DC, there's a lot to do in DC, museums and monuments to see and the night life is alright as well. Dallas- Fort Worth is no slouch either, there's a lot to do, experience some Texan culture with Texan festivities, museums also (not as significant as DC's) Fort Worth Water Gardens, there's plenty to do, it's very similar to Atlanta in this respect.

Weather - Dallas can get hot but we have AC everywhere, so you won't really feel it to often, DC has some harsh winters certain years, so that's always a downer. Dallas has a moderate winter, sometimes it snows, but it's nothing like DC's winters.

In Texas people are very accepting of who you are, your political and religious background won't affect your life here. I'm not very religious and I was just fine when I was in Dallas.
Not saying that DC isn't accepting but it has a lot of political tension sometimes.

By the way, nice thread Grindin! Never seen a Dallas/DC thread before! But I agree, it would be nice if this stayed civil!!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
i have to honestly say that in MY personal opinion, the only edge dallas has over d.c. is that it's down south and in texas (and everything that comes with that). other than that, i think washington is the much better city. just wish they had some skyscrapers

Old 05-05-2010, 08:55 AM

324 posts, read 659,281 times
I dig DC over Dallas.. I'm glad DC doesn't have skyscrapers it gives us something different too look at.. It gives me the feel of a European type city with all the low rises...

I'm so tired of the sunbelt cities.. I'll be moving to DC in September... Can not wait...

Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
I dig DC over Dallas.. I'm glad DC doesn't have skyscrapers it gives us something different too look at.. It gives me the feel of a European type city with all the low rises...

I'm so tired of the sunbelt cities.. I'll be moving to DC in September... Can not wait...
I see what you're saying. I have an ambivalent feel about the Sunbelt (and the South in general) myself. Even if Atlanta isn't quite as "Sunbeltish" as Texas or Florida.

I don't know, Dallas and DC are both cities have their advantages and drawbacks that could be argued for both. I could see myself as either happy or miserable in either, depending on the circumstances. I have a ton of family in the DC/MD/VA area that I'm pretty close to, and that helps when you're moving somewhere. I do have many friends that relocated to the DFW area as well.

Last edited by grindin; 05-05-2010 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:

yeah okay. don't be tryna run back down south for some catfish, greens, and mac'n'cheese lol no just playin

Old 05-05-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I see what you're saying. I have an ambivalent feel about the Sunbelt (and the South in general) myself. Even if Atlanta isn't quite as "Sunbeltish" as Texas or Florida.
lol um, how's that, now?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
I think D.C. may have the most deceptive skyline of any city in the U.S.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
lol um, how's that, now?
Weather, (we're slightly cooler in the winter and marginally less humid).

The way the city looks compared to say Phoenix, Orlando, Tampa, Dallas or Houston. Much has been made of how woodsy and bucolic Atlanta can look compared to other cities in the sunbelt, even closer in to the city. Phoenix, Dallas and Tampa have those really wide streets on a grid pattern, and they're generally flatter than Atlanta. Due to the terrain and how the neighborhoods are set up here, we really don't have the room for that. We're "sunbelt," but not as stereotypically "sunbelt" as those cities.

We sprawl just as much though. Ours may be more "hidden," but believe me it's there.

The same could be argued for the DC area. There are many parts along the Beltway that don't seem as if they're in the middle of a large metro area.

These are just mere personal observations of mine though.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I live in Dallas and spent 6 months in DC (not that it makes me an authority, but I do have an opinion). Ill weigh in:

Cost of Living: Dallas hands down

Economy: Both have good economies, but I give Dallas the nod because its economy is more diverse

Transportation: DC has one of the best subway systems in the world. That alone makes me say that DC would be the best in this category. However, Dallas is pushing hard to make DART rail a lot bigger. In 2013, we will have a station at DFW airport which Im thrilled about. Of the sunbelt cities, Dallas will have the best rail system in the South. DFW also has the most organized freeway system in the US without question. That being said, DC for sure gets the nod on this one because of its subway.

Restaurants: This is subjective. I say Dallas because I like food from South of the border and Dallas has excellent local Mexican restaurants. However, you can find food from every culture in both cities no problem.

Shopping: Only, New York, LA, Las Vegas, Chicago, and Miami have better shopping than Dallas. DC has good shopping, but Dallas is the winner in this catagory.

Grocery Stores: I dont know what would make one better than the other on this one.

Culture: See OmShahi's comments. He pretty much hit the nail on the head. If there were a most improved award for culture and diversity, Dallas would win it over any other city in the US. Dallas and DFW are changing faster than any other area of the US. Houston used to be it for international Texas, but no more. Dallas is now almost as international. Only Metro NYC, LA, Miami, and Chicago have gained more new international residents than DFW since 2000.
But for overall culture, I give the edge to DC.

Access to other cities:
By drive, the edge goes to DC. By air, the edge goes to DFW.

Education: DC with Dallas being a distant 2nd

City Life: DC is more urban. DC gets the edge on this. Not to say Dallas doesnt have urban areas, but DC is more urban.

Weather: Give me Dallas' brutal summers over DC's cold winters, but that is subject to opinion.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City