Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 AM

324 posts, read 659,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yeah okay. don't be tryna run back down south for some catfish, greens, and mac'n'cheese lol no just playin

Lol o think I'll bring a little with me too DC.. Grindin where would u move to in DC if you choose that.. I'll be over in capital hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Access to other cities: By drive, the edge goes to DC. By air, the edge goes to DFW.
Why do you say this?

Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Economy: Both have good economies, but I give Dallas the nod because its economy is more diverse
I think DC is one exception to the diversity-is-always-better rule. The federal government doesn't behave the way other industries do, and it's not going away anytime soon. And it's not as if DC is just a government town, either--the economy here is becoming increasingly diversified versus what it was 20-30 years ago.

Regardless, DC has both a higher gross GDP and higher GDP per capita than Dallas, so I'm not certain under what criteria Dallas would be considered to have a stronger economy.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Why do you say this?
I was wondering the same thing. Four of the country's most significant population centers--NY, Philly, Boston and Chicago--are all within a 2 hour flight radius of DC.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Weather, (we're slightly cooler in the winter and marginally less humid).

The way the city looks compared to say Phoenix, Orlando, Tampa, Dallas or Houston. Much has been made of how woodsy and bucolic Atlanta can look compared to other cities in the sunbelt, even closer in to the city. Phoenix, Dallas and Tampa have those really wide streets on a grid pattern, and they're generally flatter than Atlanta. Due to the terrain and how the neighborhoods are set up here, we really don't have the room for that. We're "sunbelt," but not as stereotypically "sunbelt" as those cities.

We sprawl just as much though. Ours may be more "hidden," but believe me it's there.

The same could be argued for the DC area. There are many parts along the Beltway that don't seem as if they're in the middle of a large metro area.

These are just mere personal observations of mine though.
well when you put it like that, i'd say that houston and dallas feel less sunbelt than say phoenix or san antonio. parts of dallas definitely have that midwest vibe going on, and it definitely doesn't feel very sunbelt when those winter storms pass through. with all that snow they were getting, watching it on the news i felt like i was looking at illinois or minnesota

as far as houston, with it being more built up in its core than most sunbelt cities, it's easy to forget you're in texas

i do agree about atlanta, though....but yeah i'm already off topic, so back to dc and dallas

Old 05-05-2010, 09:54 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Why do you say this?
DFW is in the middle of the country (the southern half), and flight times to both the West and East Coast are about 2.5-3 hrs, depending on where you're going. If you have a reason to go to either both, that is pretty important to a lot of people. Now, if you're only traveling extensively along the East Coast, South (at least NC/SC/GA/FL in particular), or the Midwest, DC may be more convenient.

Internationally, DC would have better air access to Europe and Africa, DFW would have better access to Latin America

Last edited by grindin; 05-05-2010 at 10:06 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
Lol o think I'll bring a little with me too DC.. Grindin where would u move to in DC if you choose that.. I'll be over in capital hill
Or you could go out to my aunt's house in PG County.

If I were to move up there, it would depend on my job. Preferably Capitol Hill, U Street Area, Cleveland Park (HA! As if I'll make the money), Silver Spring or parts of Arlington.

Last edited by grindin; 05-05-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Four of the country's most significant population centers--NY, Philly, Boston and Chicago--are all within a 2 hour flight radius of DC.
but don't people like to fly internationally? and dallas is more centrally located than dc

Old 05-05-2010, 10:09 AM

324 posts, read 659,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but don't people like to fly internationally? and dallas is more centrally located than dc

In DC you would reach Africa Europe Canada Russia faster than u would Dallas..right ?? I know when I went to London from Atlanta it was a 10 hour flight all together. I'm pretty sure it would have been less if I was in DC

Old 05-05-2010, 10:12 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
This is a really great comparison. Your money definitely goes farther in Dallas, but DC seems to be more fun and a bit more cultured. DC also seems to attract yuppies and buppies, and while I'm sure Dallas has its fair share, the area seems more tailored to young families. Dallas doesn't really seem to have any "edge" or the personality of the big Texas cities; to me, it just comes across as a city in which one could live well and comfortably, but just don't expect too much in the way of excitement. Personally, I hope that I can live in DC on day, but if I were to ever get a job offer in Dallas, I would definitely think very, very seriously about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City