Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfax County VA vs. Harris County TX
Fairfax County VA 41 61.19%
Harris County TX 26 38.81%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:38 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I won't lie. You do have to earn a high income to live well in the D.C. area, especially in the more desirable parts of it. It can be difficult for a recent college grad, but things get better with time.

Recently, I've noticed the construction of the new silver line of the metro along the Dulles corridor. It's going to be interesting to see how this affects northern Virginia commuters.
As someone who lives in Reston, which will be getting 3 stations (well, technically 2 with one straddling our border with Herndon), I am very excited about the Silver Line's arrival, as I'll be able to live here and commute eastward to my office nearer to the city. It's also fun to watch the "closet racists" in NoVA rear their ugly heads as those who oppose the rail line's arrival are all ranting and raving about "the element" from the city coming here (i.e. politically-correct code word for minorities).

The only thing I could have personally done differently when moving here to improve my financial situation was to get roommates, but with knowing very few others in the area (and with those already having roomies) I didn't feel comfortable moving to a new city while shacking up with virtual strangers from CraigsList; the risk was too high for me of rooming in a bad situation.

I think the Silver Line will have a major impact upon the population growth and housing prices in Reston and Herndon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 01:27 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I pick Harris County; I like the DC area and I got family there, but I can't stand them.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:42 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Fairfax County is a hybrid between "The O.C." and "Jersey Shore."
Harris County is really nothing like that.
Sure, you'll have the suburban areas on the outskirts of the city, but the core of Houston, especially along the west side, offers excellent big city amenities and neighborhoods for those who can afford the nicer areas (where the idea of Houston being "cheap" is a myth.)

Old 05-09-2010, 01:46 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
A suburban county of DC vs a city of 2.2million, in a county of 4million? Yep I definitely chose Houston. This isn't even a fair comparison. Fairfax County? Seriously? I've barely heard of it. At least I'll have more variety in Harris County due to the fact that it's larger, so you can chose the urban inner-loop, or the outer-suburbs.

I am surprised; I believe it is one of the weathiest counties in the country and in many ways more storied "Fairfax was the first county in the United States to reach a six-figure median household income, and has the second-highest median household income of any county with a population of 250,000 or more in the United States after neighboring Loudoun County.[2]" ;also albeit driven but gov't, the defense dept, AOL, and their spin-offs it has been an economic power I would think Fairfax is very well known (Areas like McClean, Tysons, Reston, Arlington etc.)

Harris has nearly 4 times the population yes but in nearly six times the land area. I made the comparison based on econimic growth in the two areas. I guess i could have added Loudoun County VA and Montgomery County MD to the mix - still a little smaller in land area but close to the population and they basically make up 2/3rds of the sorrounding counties of the District

Old 05-09-2010, 03:01 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I am surprised; I believe it is one of the weathiest counties in the country and in many ways more storied "Fairfax was the first county in the United States to reach a six-figure median household income, and has the second-highest median household income of any county with a population of 250,000 or more in the United States after neighboring Loudoun County.[2]" ;also albeit driven but gov't, the defense dept, AOL, and their spin-offs it has been an economic power I would think Fairfax is very well known (Areas like McClean, Tysons, Reston, Arlington etc.)

Harris has nearly 4 times the population yes but in nearly six times the land area. I made the comparison based on econimic growth in the two areas. I guess i could have added Loudoun County VA and Montgomery County MD to the mix - still a little smaller in land area but close to the population and they basically make up 2/3rds of the sorrounding counties of the District
I've heard of Tyson's Corner, and Arlington, but I don't know much of the county it's self.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:11 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
LOL, I agree Fairfax County is VERY stereotypical Yuppieville. But what are you gonna do? If you live and work in the D.C. area, you're basically limited to 3 choices - either you're a (1) politician, (2) yuppie or (3) ghetto. At least the first 2 have ample opportunity to develop some sort of class if they want. So take your pick.
Not really. You actually couldn't be more wrong. I don't work in politics, I have a blue-collar job, and don't live anywhere near the ghetto. I'm a white fireman that lives right in the middle of DC. I know plenty of other people that are very similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've heard of Tyson's Corner, and Arlington, but I don't know much of the county it's self.
Arlington isn't in Fairfax County.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:23 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
It tells me that corporate America doesn't give a damn about locating in areas ripe for transit-oriented development or reinvesting in existing parts of the urban core of a metropolitan area to help "give back" to the community. Mark my words when I tell you Northrop Grumman, which is currently in the process of moving its HQ here from CA, will choose the poorly-transit-serviced suburban option in unincorporated Falls Church in Fairfax County over the new Metro-accessible office building in Ballston. Do you work in Tysons Corner? I do. It's NOT a pleasant place. It is a solid reminder of everything that is WRONG with post-WWII development patterns across our nation, and is the poster child for why Fairfax County has the nation's second-worst gridlock. Show me areas in Fairfax County that have even a FRACTION of the walkability afforded to those inside the Beltway. Where is Fairfax County's version of Old Town Alexandria? The Ballston/Rosslyn Corridor of North Arlington? Georgetown? Didn't think so.
Why do you keep trying to compare a far our suburb to Washington, DC(a large city)? You don't get the urban, city amenities in a suburb. That's why it's a suburb. The close in suburbs like Arlington and Alexandria are one of a kind. DC has some of the most urban suburbs in the country. However, you still can't expect a suburb to operate like a big city.

You also sound like you know nothing about DC. NW is NOT the only good part of DC. There also isn't a high crime rate at all. The city is on pace for less than 100 murders this year. For a city of 600,000 with a daytime population of over 1.5 million, that's not bad at all.

My recommendation is to either move to a city, if that's what you want, or stay in your suburb and stop complaining that it's suburban.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Fairfax County is a most dreadful place. If I had to live in the DC area, it's one of the last places I'd consider.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:27 PM

142 posts, read 252,588 times
Fairfax County for me. I actually lived their for a majority of my life, and moved to Loudoun County back in 2002. I like Fairfax County because of it's endless amenities, it's close access to DC, and it's endless supply of world class neighborhoods to live in. I plan on moving back to Fairfax (city) in the next year hopefully.

Oh, and LOL @ the person that said that NW Washington is the only good part of DC, and that DC is still primarily ghetto. Obviously this person isn't fit to live and work in this area, and they should spend as much of their energy trying to find a way OUT of DC then staying here and slamming DC. I never got why people come on here all the time to rip the area that they live in currently. If you can't make the adjustment of living in an area like this, then just get the hell out of here. No one wants or needs you here with this attitude, and it's obvious that you aren't built to live in a successful, wonderful location such as this. I'm sure "Scranton" can't wait to have you back.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Translation: I should've made this a DC vs Houston thread, but I didn't want to deal with the weeping and gnashing of teeth on this forum that comes with comparing a Northeastern City and a Sunbelt City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City