Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more Southern?
Washington DC 34 47.89%
Miami 37 52.11%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 PM

166 posts, read 367,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
When you say MOST PARTS OF MARYLAND what parts exactly to you mean?

Technically the Mason-Dixon line was a property dispute between MD and PA. Also, if u extend the mason-dixon line further east & west, 25% of NJ would be in south, and part of W.VA would be northern.

I didnt say anything about Soul Food cooking, that's a black thing. Where ever there is black people, there is soul food....so your soul food statement is pointless.

As far as accents go, visit the Baltimore area, Philly area & south NJ....same accent. DC's accent, thought different from Baltimore's, is Not southern. Western MD = central western PA. I cant really speak about the eastern shore.
I'm with you on the first part. Regardless of the Mason Dixon line, anyone who considers Maryland to be "culturally" the "South" has not spent any significant time in the REAL southern states. Although there may be some residual remnants of the old, regional, "Chesapeake" version of southern culture out on the Eastern Shore and deep in southern Maryland--the state of MD on a whole is not really "southern."

I disagree with you on the accents though (African Americans in particular). I'm originally from Philly and live in Baltimore city. My lady is a Baltimore native. People in Philly and Baltimore DO NOT have the same accent. Of course there are "some" similarities since the two cities are relatively close, but Baltimore definitely has its own distinct accent. I can hear someone talk and KNOW that he or she is from Baltimore. I can hear another person speak and KNOW that the person is from the Philly area. Each of these two cities has its own distinct accent that pronounces certain vowels differently, and any word with the letter "R" in it is pronounced differently. I'm not a linguist and can't really describe it in words, I just can tell when I hear it. The Baltimore accent has some weird/unique features in it that I haven't heard in ANY other accent.

I work in DC too. To me, the DC accent (among African-Americans) has a slightly more southern sound to it than the Baltimore accent...but still, Not a DEEP South accent like you hear down in Georgia or the Carolinas. There are also differences based on class & education levels. The accents of each city is usually strongest among the indigenous working-class/lower middle-class natives. People of higher education levels (whether in Philly, Bmore, or DC) seem to develop a more general, generic, "educated" mid-Atlantic sound that's harder tell apart.

But back to the topic...African-Americans (non-Caribbean) from the Miami area sound COMPLETELY southern to me, can't tell them apart from the accents in Georgia or Carolina. And even in some of the "northern" cities in the midwest (especially Chicago), many blacks out there sound REALLY southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Saying Merlin is not southern (maybe coming from NYC it sounds southern). That's the DC accent where they stretch the R's. In Baltimore they stretch the EW. People in VA, NC, SC, GA don't say Merlin. Philly and Bmore have different accents but they share similar words. So does DC. They all say brova = brother.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Saying Merlin is not southern (maybe coming from NYC it sounds southern). That's the DC accent where they stretch the R's. In Baltimore they stretch the EW. People in VA, NC, SC, GA don't say Merlin. Philly and Bmore have different accents but they share similar words. So does DC. They all say brova = brother.
Oh, I didn't know that.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
I disagree with you on the accents though (African Americans in particular). I'm originally from Philly and live in Baltimore city. My lady is a Baltimore native. People in Philly and Baltimore DO NOT have the same accent. Of course there are "some" similarities since the two cities are relatively close, but Baltimore definitely has its own distinct accent. I can hear someone talk and KNOW that he or she is from Baltimore. I can hear another person speak and KNOW that the person is from the Philly area. Each of these two cities has its own distinct accent that pronounces certain vowels differently, and any word with the letter "R" in it is pronounced differently. I'm not a linguist and can't really describe it in words, I just can tell when I hear it. The Baltimore accent has some weird/unique features in it that I haven't heard in ANY other accent.

I work in DC too. To me, the DC accent (among African-Americans) has a slightly more southern sound to it than the Baltimore accent...but still, Not a DEEP South accent like you hear down in Georgia or the Carolinas. There are also differences based on class & education levels. The accents of each city is usually strongest among the indigenous working-class/lower middle-class natives. People of higher education levels (whether in Philly, Bmore, or DC) seem to develop a more general, generic, "educated" mid-Atlantic sound that's harder tell apart.
Black people in Baltimore & Philly have difference accents.. agreed\
I meant to say white people in Baltimore and philly have similar accents.
I have co-workers from philly and S. jersey that sound like they're from Baltimore.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:16 AM

220 posts, read 703,907 times
Murrrrrrlyn

Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
There is this producer from DC he puts a lot of tom-tom sounds in his beats, he's done tracks for Wale as well. They're pretty unique sounding beats too I was wondering if they were influenced by GoGo Music. SoundClick artist: FLAWLESS RNB - FLAWLESS RNB. HOME OF THE BEST KEPT SECRET AND 10 BEATS check it out for yourself.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
There are Waffle House's in Pennsylvania more than Maryland actually

Waffle House Restaurant Locator (http://www.wafflehouse.com/welcome/component/content/article/38/79-waffle-house-restaurant-locator - broken link)

I actually find many parts of PA outside of Philly metro, more similart to Virginia than MD...Amish country and much of central PA has much more of a country laid back feel, which people in this threads continue to confuse with southern.

I've never seen a confederate flag in 26 years of living in MD unless it's someone riding up 95 with Alabama plates on the way to New York for sightseeing, so we can throw that thought away.
OK.....

Maryland is still a Southern State.......

Old 05-25-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
When you say MOST PARTS OF MARYLAND what parts exactly to you mean?

Technically the Mason-Dixon line was a property dispute between MD and PA. Also, if u extend the mason-dixon line further east & west, 25% of NJ would be in south, and part of W.VA would be northern.

I didnt say anything about Soul Food cooking, that's a black thing. Where ever there is black people, there is soul food....so your soul food statement is pointless.

As far as accents go, visit the Baltimore area, Philly area & south NJ....same accent. DC's accent, thought different from Baltimore's, is Not southern. Western MD = central western PA. I cant really speak about the eastern shore.
So basically you are stereotyping Maryland which further mutes your argument against the Reality that Maryland is a Southern State........

Just by judging from what you stated its Obvious that you ave not been to other parts of Maryland outside of the Baltimore-Washington Corridor......

Hell Prince Georges County, Maryland is more Southern than Fairfax County, Virginia............

Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah MOST people I've met from DC spoke with an "Northern" type accent, same with Bmore.
Experienced the Same when I was in Atlanta and especially Miami.....

Old 05-25-2010, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
I'm with you on the first part. Regardless of the Mason Dixon line, anyone who considers Maryland to be "culturally" the "South" has not spent any significant time in the REAL southern states. Although there may be some residual remnants of the old, regional, "Chesapeake" version of southern culture out on the Eastern Shore and deep in southern Maryland--the state of MD on a whole is not really "southern."

But back to the topic...African-Americans (non-Caribbean) from the Miami area sound COMPLETELY southern to me, can't tell them apart from the accents in Georgia or Carolina. And even in some of the "northern" cities in the midwest (especially Chicago), many blacks out there sound REALLY southern.
Either way you wanna state it, Maryland is a Southern State.....

And the little stereotypes your making just to justify your biased argument against the reality of Maryland being in the south can just as well be said about Virginia(especially Northern Virginia), Florida, and Texas........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City