Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer to live in?
Denver, CO 84 55.63%
Dallas, TX 67 44.37%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:42 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,312,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Im going to be honest and say I've never been to Dallas. I live 58 miles south of Denver. So obviouslly I picked Denver. But in all honesty I really don't think Dallas would be a place I could live. Hot and humid alot of the year, and I hear they have some big bugs down there, and Im scared of bugs. I think it would be a cool place to visit for a couple days. I don't really know much about Dallas though, other than those things I was told. I can speak on Denver though. I love the skyline, it has good restaurants, good malls to shop at, fun sports teams to watch, the mountains are very close, good public transportation, the 16th street mall is a cool place to hang out, nice architecture, Denver is a very diverse city, Aurora right near Denver is a very diverse city, and its a very walkable and bikeable city. So Denver has anything you could ask for in a city.
I'll agree with you the DFW area gets hot as blazes in the late spring and summer. However, the area has some absolutely beautiful weather in the fall and winters tend to be farily mild. It's one of those cities where you could conceivably play golf twelve months a year.

I lived in the DFW area for about 22 years. If you keep a clean house you don't have to deal with large bugs.

It really comes down to this. If you are an outdoorsy type person then Denver is probably your pick. Denver is a much more walkable city than Dallas. Most of the better outdoor attractions in the DFW require driving outside the area itself. If you are culture and restaraunt, and shopping kind of person then Dallas is probably more to your liking. Dallas also probably has a little more diverse population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 03:52 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,277,386 times
Denver holds its own to all of the Texas cities if you ask me.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
Quote:
I prefer Dallas. One reason being that Denver has an ugly dry landscape and Dallas is pretty green
Quote:
This along with Denver's terrible air pollution are my main reasons for picking Dallas.
LOL!!! DFW consistently ranks in the top worst cities in terms of ozone pollution AND particle pollution - I haven't seen Denver on either list (although granted, I haven't seen Denver on the list of BEST air quality cities either). And Dallas is pretty dry too, with frequent droughts and constant water restrictions.

I'd call this a slight edge to Denver (ugly dry landscapes - equal / air quality - Denver).

Old 08-12-2010, 09:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,775,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It really comes down to this. If you are an outdoorsy type person then Denver is probably your pick. Denver is a much more walkable city than Dallas. Most of the better outdoor attractions in the DFW require driving outside the area itself. If you are culture and restaurant, and shopping kind of person then Dallas is probably more to your liking. Dallas also probably has a little more diverse population.
^^^This is it in a nutshell. The only things that are fact and not option.

Everything else is subjective. Though I wouldnt say DFW is a little more diverse, I would say its a lot more diverse:

Denver MSA:

White: 66.0%
Hispanic: 22.8%
Black: 5.0%
Asian: 3.4%
Other: 2.8%

Dallas/Fort Worth MSA:

White: 52.0%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Black: 14.0%
Asian: 5.0%
Other: 1.5%

Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM

364 posts, read 718,435 times
Detroit is the only "D" that I know of....

Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,777,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Denver MSA:

White: 66.0%
Hispanic: 22.8%
Black: 5.0%
Asian: 3.4%
Other: 2.8%

Dallas/Fort Worth MSA:

White: 52.0%
Hispanic: 27.5%
Black: 14.0%
Asian: 5.0%
Other: 1.5%
i never realized the two had such close demographics

Old 08-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
i never realized the two had such close demographics
Is that sarcasm?

They aren't much alike demographically at all.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:34 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,777,917 times
No that's not sarcasm. They aren't exactly the same, but definitely close in most categories. Much closer than i thought. Not much alike at all? i highly disagree. They are very similar.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
No that's not sarcasm. They aren't exactly the same, but definitely close in most categories. Much closer than i thought. Not much alike at all? i highly disagree. They are very similar.
They are 14 percentage points off of the white population and 9 percentage points off in Black population. That is enough for me to say they arent alike.

The ones you could make a case for are the Hispanic and Asian populations. DFW is 4.8% more Hispanic and 1.6% more Asian.

But given how far off they are in Black and White percentages, I maintain that they are not demographically similar outside their Asian and Hispanic populations.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 PM

299 posts, read 904,148 times
Dallas. Another thing you have to consider is affordability. To survive in Denver, a single person would have to make $45,000 a year. In Dallas, you can probably do pretty well of you're making between $30 and $35K.

I also like Dallas a lot more because it's more down to Earth. Most of Denver is real yuppity and snobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City