Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 94 59.49%
Houston 64 40.51%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

Inventions/Spinoffs from Space (http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/en/kids/spinoffs2.shtml - broken link)
NASA Spinoff Technologies

Battle of San Jacinto. Where Texas was won from Mexico.
Not on the level with the Boston Tea Party... but there's your history. Certainly very important to Texas and this region of the US; there's a monument just east of Houston for it that stands taller than the one in Washington D.C.
So?

Only affects Texas, and by Texas, I mean just Texas. I doubt anyone in Louisana cares about the Alamo-an event that did not take place in this country. I'm not donwplaying it, but it has no bearing on the future from that point forward on the other states. Except that Texas became independent for a while, then was admitted as a state.

Whereas the events of the 1760s and 1770s in Boston/Massachusetts-which was the wealthiest, largest and busiest city/colony in the Americas set in motion the American Revolution-which would lead to a little country I refer to as the United States.

And it's pretty cliché to say, "and OUR monument is bigger than the one in Washington.." We all get it, everything is bigger in Texas...and no one else cares. I know it's pretty difficult to understand, but we really don't care.

As for NASA-ever hear of Massachusetts Institute of Technology? Yup, thought so.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
So?

Only affects Texas, and by Texas, I mean just Texas. I doubt anyone in Louisana cares about the Alamo-an event that did not take place in this country. I'm not donwplaying it, but it has no bearing on the future from that point forward on the other states. Except that Texas became independent for a while, then was admitted as a state.

Whereas the events of the 1760s and 1770s in Boston/Massachusetts-which was the wealthiest, largest and busiest city/colony in the Americas set in motion the American Revolution-which would lead to a little country I refer to as the United States.

And it's pretty cliché to say, "and OUR monument is bigger than the one in Washington.." We all get it, everything is bigger in Texas...and no one else cares. I know it's pretty difficult to understand, but we really don't care.
Only effects Texas? You need to refresh on your history. If Texas never won that battle (which was by luck, after losing every single battle before), we would still be Mexico. As well as parts of Kansas and Oklahoma, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, and California.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas...iceroyalty.jpg

As much as the Tea Party played a role in the formation of the US, so did the expansion out west. Wouldn't have happened if that battle was not won near Houston.

Quote:
As for NASA-ever hear of Massachusetts Institute of Technology? Yup, thought so.
If this is how you try to discredit NASA, you need to do a better job.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Only effects Texas? You need to refresh on your history. If Texas never won that battle (which was by luck, after losing every single battle before), we would still be Mexico. As well as parts of Kansas and Oklahoma, Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, and California.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/atlas...iceroyalty.jpg

As much as the Tea Party played a role in the formation of the US, so did the expansion out west. Wouldn't have happened if that battle was not won near Houston.

If this is how you try to discredit NASA, you need to do a better job.
We as in you, not we as in me. I would still live in the United States.

The Battle of San Jacinto was part of the Texas Revolution, not as important to US history as the war that would follow a generation later-which leads to your actual point.

As for westward expansion...We as in the United States were expanding regardless of Texas' annexation. If Texas lost its Revolution, We would have just expanded around Texas...very simple-besides, wasn't it an independent nation for a while anyway?

The states you list, were given up by Mexico after it lost the US-Mexican War a full decade after the Texas Revolution. The war began because the US annexed Texas as a territory, and Mexico wasn't too keen on this idea-which hadn't recognized the validity of Texas' independence.

Ergo, if We the United States lost the US-Mexican War, than yes, Texas, California, et al, would have remained Mexican Territory, in all likelihood.

All I'm saying is that the Texas Revolution/Battle of san Jacinto has little to no bearing on US history as a whole-of course Texas history and by association US history. And that the events in Boston in the latter half of the 18th century led directly to the creation of the United States.

ps..not discrediting NASA-but it's existence is based on technology and brain power from MIT [and other top universities]. NASA didn't fall from the sky.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Good Lord. History is history and the war in Texas was very important. To dismiss other places history just because it wasn't as "important" as your history is foolish. It's still history and very important as well. I don't care about the Boston tea party but AK123 is right, it's still history and very important as well.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:34 PM

^I think the actual problem is, you want me/or anyone else to admit some sort of supremacy about Texas' Revolution--that that was the pivotal moment in 19th century American history. When in good faith I can't. I never said it wasn't important. It is to you and your state...but again, I fail to understand how your revolution affected the future of America. Again, your revolution led to your independence. Not mine, not Florida's or Washington's. The limits of Texas' Revolution, stop at Texas' borders.

That this is all about some inferiortiy complex Texans are infamous for. It's in the same vain as saying, "my monument is bigger than your monument."

Not caring about the Boston Tea Party is like saying I don't care about the Boston Massacre, or the Navigation Acts, or the shot heard 'round the world or Shay's Rebellion.

When in fact, you are doing exactly what you are claiming I am doing.

We'd all HAVE to care if they took place in Houston, wouldn't we?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
^I think the actual problem is, you want me/or anyone else to admit some sort of supremacy about Texas' Revolution--that that was the pivotal moment in 19th century American history. When in good faith I can't. I never said it wasn't important. It is to you and your state...but again, I fail to understand how your revolution affected the future of America. Again, your revolution led to your independence. Not mine, not Florida's or Washington's. The limits of Texas' Revolution, stop at Texas' borders.
Actually, no. I don't. I don't care if you don't want to admit or if you do want to admit to the war in Texas. I don't care if you don't even want to acknowledge it. The fact is that it was history. It was very important history to one of the places and regions of this country. And just because you know little about it does not belittle the history of that region of this country. I'm sure California's history is very important as well and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote:
That this is all about some inferiortiy complex Texans are infamous for. It's in the same vain as saying, [i]"my monument is bigger than your monument."
Well that was AK who said it but c'mon. You do the same thing for your place. Everybody does. Everybody boasts and has some certain complex towards another place.

Quote:
Not caring about the Boston Tea Party is like saying I don't care about the Boston Massacre, or the Navigation Acts, or the shot heard 'round the world or Shay's Rebellion.
I care about as the Boston Tea Party as much as I care about the Texas war, Lewis and Clark, and other important history in our country.

Quote:
No. You wouldn't

Old 05-31-2010, 01:04 PM

I really didn't want to bring up history. It's too much, but i will defend my region, as would you.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:

That this is all about some inferiortiy complex Texans are infamous for. It's in the same vain as saying, "my monument is bigger than your monument."

When in fact, you are doing exactly what you are claiming I am doing.

How did you come to this conclusion??? No one on here said you should care or respect Texas or like it. Your aggressive attitude towards Texans is just borderline ignorant now.

As first I tried to reason with you, but you take these to far to the point of insulting our culture and history. It's really unnecessary and uncalled for.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:16 PM

I'll just refer you to my post above this one.

But follow along, it may help.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:25 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,838,516 times
Quote:

Yes, we give up. You are right, everyone else is wrong.
You basically said there's no history of any importance in Houston -- I gave evidence that's untrue, so untrue in fact that a huge monument was built (the D.C. monument comparison given as perspective, yet you automatically assume it's only meant as brag because of your self-admitted stereotypes of Texans) -- yet now that we state facts to refute your incorrect claims, but we can't do that because it's show of an "inferiority complex" and other such cliched foolishness.
Whatever. Same old, same old on C-D....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City