Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which system is the best?
MBTA Urban Transit 15 17.86%
Metro North ( Connecticut ) 5 5.95%
Metro North ( North of NYC) 9 10.71%
Long Island Railroad 12 14.29%
MTA (NYC) Buses 15 17.86%
PATH (Newark - Jersey City - Manhattan) 18 21.43%
New Jersey Transit Rail 9 10.71%
New Jersey Transit Light Rail 8 9.52%
New Jersey Transit Bus 6 7.14%
Septa Regional Rail 17 20.24%
Septa Urban Rail / Bus 14 16.67%
MBTA Regional Rail 11 13.10%
Maryland Rail Commuter Service (MARC) 4 4.76%
Maryland Transit Administration - Buses / Urban Rail Transit 5 5.95%
Amtrak Regional 9 10.71%
Amtrak Acela 11 13.10%
Shore Line East (CT Railway) 1 1.19%
DC Metrorail 34 40.48%
DC Metrobus 9 10.71%
PATCO Speedline (South Jersey / Philly) 8 9.52%
Bolt Bus 15 17.86%
Rockland Coaches 1 1.19%
Connecticut Transit (Bus) 1 1.19%
NYC Subway 50 59.52%
other 4 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times

Advertisements

Idk

As far as rail (subway) goes I'd say the DC Metrorail, I like how it's clean, futuristic (compared to most cities), etc. It's also like a subway & commuter rail mixed together. The main thing I dislike about the NYC Subway is that every line (except the G & S?) has to go through Manhattan, that's not effecient imo. Manhattan was the "main" area when the subway was built, now with the drastic increase in travel between boroughs (other than Manhattan) it's less effecient. I also think shutting it down for a few hours at night would improve the system, it works for many large cities.

I'd say NYC has the best (and most diverse) bus system even though it's painfully slow. It NYC it took me an hour and change each way everyday to get from South Jamaica to Flushing by bus. It was even worse with Little Neck. Driving took like 25-30 mins. I bet every bus system is slow though.

The only Commuter Rail I've ever really used was the LIRR so I can't say.

I like BoltBus & MegaBus for some reason, I never used either however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
most ppl i know aren't really trying to go to other boroughs like that tho. it would be nice to have a few lines other than the g that did that.
they won't make another line unless they think that ridership will be high...hell, they're cutting lines with decent ridership as it is.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Here's some of my recent Regional Transit Videos

Amtrak Regional heading to DC

YouTube - Amtrak Regional to DC

Hudson Bergen Light Rail @ Jersey City

YouTube - Hudson Bergen Light Rail turning onto Hudson Street @ Essex Street

YouTube - Hudson Bergen Light Rail @ Hudson & Sussex Streets

Departing North Jersey Coastal Train to NY Penn Station

YouTube - Departing North Jersey Coastal Train to NY Penn Station

EB Acela Express to Boston@ Secacus JCT

YouTube - EB Acela Express to Boston@ Secacus JCT

Newark Light Rail @ Branch Brook Park

YouTube - Newark Light Rail @ Branch Brook Park

PA-5 PATH : WTC - Hoboken

YouTube - PA-5 PATH : WTC - Hoboken

PA-5 Train @ WTC Station : WTC-Newark

YouTube - PA-5 Train @ WTC Station : WTC-Newark

Pascack Valley line train departing Westwood

YouTube - Pascack Valley line train departing Westwood

Old 05-28-2010, 07:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
1) NYC Subway
2) NJ Transit (Bus)
3) MTA Bus
4) PATH

Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
NYC, far and away. Like every other transit poll.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
Cleanliness: Patco or NJ Transit Rail. For the most part they're usually very clean. The PATH however, is probably the dirtiest.

Frequency of the service: NYC Subway and Septa Regional rail. Septa's MSFL and BSS could use some work in that they should run 24 hours a day. NJ SUCKS in this regard for the line I use (once every 2 hours!! It's so infrequent I can't even use it! And the bus service runs so close to when the train does, that if I miss the train, I'm almost guaranteed to miss the bus!!)

Interior Design of the Trains or Buses aka seating , floors....: NJ Transit double deckers (properly know as multi-levels) are very comfortable, I like the new PATH cars, and appreciate the Patco

Modern / Historic Balance of Stations: No idea

Fleet Diversity (If you use the system you voted for daily , you'll know what i'm talking about)

System size and System upkeep (meaning the system isn't falling apart at every corner / seem.): Not sure, they all seem to be falling apart, and NJTransit Rail could easily be the best, if they gave a crap about South Jersey. Septa, again almost there if they were willing to invest in diesel service/have decent management. NYC Subway is pretty well covered, if you want to go to Manhatten.

Fares (cheap or flexible): Not sure, PATH gets a vote though.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
NY subway probably the most comprehensive but with one defect: it does not serve LGA airport. Of course, considering how that airport ranks by a recent poll of travelers, perhaps that is not a shortcoming!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:32 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
NYC does fall short on one account, its lack of direct rail/subway connections to all 3 airports. I never understood that.

MBTA blue line subway has an airport station in Boston
SEPTA has a commuter rail link right from the airport terminal in Philadelphia
Baltimore has light rail and commuter rail connections to DC from BWI Airport
DC metrorail has a stop at Reagan and is building an extension metrorail line out to Dulles Airport.

LaGuardia, Newark have direct rail/subway links to Manhattan. I know the airtrain now exists to Howard beach station in Queens for JFK Airport, which still seems a bit indirect given how busy the airport is.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
NYC does fall short on one account, its lack of direct rail/subway connections to all 3 airports. I never understood that.

MBTA blue line subway has an airport station in Boston
SEPTA has a commuter rail link right from the airport terminal in Philadelphia
Baltimore has light rail and commuter rail connections to DC from BWI Airport
DC metrorail has a stop at Reagan and is building an extension metrorail line out to Dulles Airport.

LaGuardia, Newark have direct rail/subway links to Manhattan. I know the airtrain now exists to Howard beach station in Queens for JFK Airport, which still seems a bit indirect given how busy the airport is.
LGA has no rail connection of any kind. Newark is getting a PATH extension and maybe light rail lines later this decade. JFK has an Airtrain that connects all the terminals and like the Newark Monorail ties in with Regional Rail system. The Airtrain goes to Jamaica LIRR Transfer station not just Howard Beach. While its not direct , neither is the MBTA blue line , theres not even a people mover to the terminals.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 PM

Some more of my Region videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW81Ed99uwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w16V1oiW7zY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYsY3253nm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1vxEoNtIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0pqIf24UM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City