Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,967 times

Advertisements

I just had to tell someone off out here in Idaho/Washington area....She said, SHE heard that it was more racist out there in ohio then here...I told her, and I quote: " I was born and raised in Cleveland ohio. Lived there for over 35 years and I have never, ever had ONE bout of racism....It was when I came out west to idaho,(and some parts of Washington) I got "Cold" stares and people treating me like i was an alien. This place is like one big click. If you're not white, you're not right." I worked at a job where I was a home health care aid..The job said they had to tell the clients I was black before I could go to there house. They said it was for my safety....How's that for racism??? NEVER, EVER had any problems in cleveland, or any other midwestern town...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 PM

17 posts, read 37,206 times
Mind me asking why you included Cali in your rant to tell someone off? When you only mentioned Idaho and parts of washington?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM

Im sorry didn't mean to include cali....Never had a problem...I hit "post reply" before I could change it....lol

Old 10-24-2010, 08:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
People was Washington infuriate me. They are against the 'mainstream', yet if you don't share the same views as them, you are looked down upon. A bunch of self righteous hipsters. I could never live there.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 PM

that is percisely why we are moving away from here....I have never been around a more selfish group of people in my life...My husband who was born and raised in idaho has been seeing it a lot lately...Im a happy type of person and I smile at everyone...These people will look at me as if i were crazy....my husband is very dissapointed and is ready for a new life...my family lives in ohio and we will be moving to shaker heights by the end of summer, (Thank God).....

Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM

102 posts, read 198,908 times
THEY ARE just a bunch of contrarians...

Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM

25 posts, read 62,960 times
I am not going to make a huge generalization about the Midwest. But, I can tell you my experience. Since I have recently moved to Cleveland, I can't believe some of the things that my neighbors and work colleagues have told me. I am shocked at the level of bigotry and hatred I have heard. I guess since I am white, people think I must also dislike "those Latins" and blacks. Turns my stomach! I have never heard such open dialogs of hatred. And just so you know my perspective, I have lived in Miami, FL and Northern California.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:32 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur_lass View Post
I am not going to make a huge generalization about the Midwest. But, I can tell you my experience. Since I have recently moved to Cleveland, I can't believe some of the things that my neighbors and work colleagues have told me. I am shocked at the level of bigotry and hatred I have heard. I guess since I am white, people think I must also dislike "those Latins" and blacks. Turns my stomach! I have never heard such open dialogs of hatred. And just so you know my perspective, I have lived in Miami, FL and Northern California.
And I've lived in Washington DC, Hawaii, and NYC.. it's all the same. Hawaii was actually the MOST prejudice towards white people and mainlanders. IMO, you are the exception. I have no met any hate filled people around here. I live in a very diverse area in Lakewood and on my street alone, there are probably 20 languages spoken and every gets along.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:14 PM

102 posts, read 198,908 times
people are going to be prejudiced no matter what the color or creed. Accept that fact of life because this world has never existed without it. Its a normal part of your psyche.

The thing is when it becomes extreme or a foundation for someones way of living, because in the end, we are all individuals.

So, if your shocked by this, maybe you have been sheltered because no matter what, somebody is going to be picking on someone else. If its just whites, than they will find a difference amongst whites....

blacks have the same problem with the light/dark skinned dilemma.

So it is what it is. You can't be overly sensitive to it unless its extreme. You just need some thicker skin.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
True story: My last USAF assignment was Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. We lived in Boise and I commuted the 50 miles to the base. My wife (now an American citizen) went through 9 kinds of heck dealing with the then INS to get her Green Card. Our furniture was almost 4 months in arriving from our overseas assignment. My wife has her Master's degree and is a teacher by trade. But she wasn't able to teach yet because of the INS difficulties.

Anyway, a reporter from the local Boise newspaper was looking for input for a future article from people that had moved to Boise to accompany their spouses who had found jobs there . My wife was interviewed by the reporter and explained both her qualifications and her challenges getting a Green Card. When the article ran, the reporter said that my wife merely "missed her home country". Natural reaction, especially considering the stress she was dealing with.

Well, several days later, there was a Letter to the Editor from a local man regarding my wife's comments; the gist of it was: "I've known foreign-born spouses. All they do is whine about being away from their home country. Solution: GO HOME".

This occured back in the mid-1990s, when Boise was a boom town and experienced an influx of outsiders that they'd never seen before. The resentment that real estate prices had gone through the roof. traffic and urban sprawl was becoming noticeable. So I can almost understand this man's animosity. But, as others have posted above; there are all kinds of people everywhere. (Our experiences in ID were, otherwise, very nice)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland