Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM

302 posts, read 1,101,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
I was about to ask the same question. If you can't find "menial" work, you aren't looking. For the most part, college grads do pretty well here with entry level...unless their degree is worthless. And, seeing that you resorted to the military during wartime and after college, my guess is that you may fall into that category.
You obviously don't know anything about being unemployed in the current economic situation. I applied to tons of places, everything any anything that I could find, networked with people, joined job support group at a local church that networks with other grounds around the area, looked around the country, etc. I had some call backs, and interviews, but it was mostly for stuff where they wanted someone to work for min. wage for the rest of their life, and not have any ambition to do anything else. The HR people/Managers I've spoken with get too many applications than they know what do do with.

I also doubt that grads do well here with entry level, since those kinds of jobs are few and far between, especially when many companies are making "entry level" have 1-3 years experience. You might have a better chance at getting a medical industry job since its big here, but even that is not a guarantee (and not everyone goes into the med field obviously). Out of all the people I've ran into over the past year or so, only a handful have gone directly from college into a job. The vast majority have been struggling to find actual full time employment. The fact is there are way too many job seekers for the number of jobs out there. It does not matter what industry, or degree you have. People are hurting all over for work.

You're comment about 'resorting to the military' is frankly pretty insulting to myself, and the other men and women who have joined the military. The military is a great option for people of all levels. Sure there are many college grads with english or basket weaving degrees who have joined out of desperation, but the vast majority have joined(like myself) because they want to serve and also getting the experience and having a higher security clearance than what I currently have will also greatly help in getting a federal job(or defense industry if I go that route). I find it amusing when brainless people like yourself complain/comment about people being in/joining the military during a time of war. Well news flash....THAT IS WHAT A MILITARY DOES!!!! it fights wars, or prepares to fight wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM

4,650 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Exactly. In 5 years, they'll be the same people moving back. I guess I'll be glad to see that they came to their senses a bit, but I'll never be on the welcome wagon. Because, when the going gets tough, they'll be the first to bolt. I just don't see the purpose for the fuss.

I have an old college buddy who's the exact same way. He left, perpetually ripped the city, called the Medical Mart a boondoggle, said Nashville's (where he moved to) med-mart would blow Cleveland's away (their's is currently mothballed -- our's is being built), called the Euclid Corridor Project the "Euclid Horridor" (stupid, I know), etc., etc., etc. A month ago, he makes the grand announcement that he's coming back. The first thing I asked him was what happened in the great city of Nashville that would force him back to dreary old Cleveland. The subject was quickly changed by him. I later found out that he lost his sales rep job in Nashville. He found a job back here as an internal rep who will be stationed at.... *drum roll* The Cleveland Medical Mart (when it is finished). Until then, he'll work in outside sales in the area. I mean, I'm glad for his family that he landed on his feet. But, why should I get all misty eyed over his triumphant return? I know that if things get tough for him again here, he'll resort back to the same old crap.

If you come back, fine. If you stay and help, great. If you leave, don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.
Most Cleveland expats I know here in Chicago love Cleveland, they're just in Chicago because they're more concerned with doing what's right for them at this current stage of their lives than they are about racking up too many CHP (Cleveland Hater Points) with the likes of you.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 PM

191 posts, read 442,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
You obviously don't know anything about being unemployed in the current economic situation. I applied to tons of places, everything any anything that I could find, networked with people, joined job support group at a local church that networks with other grounds around the area, looked around the country, etc. I had some call backs, and interviews, but it was mostly for stuff where they wanted someone to work for min. wage for the rest of their life, and not have any ambition to do anything else. The HR people/Managers I've spoken with get too many applications than they know what do do with.

I also doubt that grads do well here with entry level, since those kinds of jobs are few and far between, especially when many companies are making "entry level" have 1-3 years experience. You might have a better chance at getting a medical industry job since its big here, but even that is not a guarantee (and not everyone goes into the med field obviously). Out of all the people I've ran into over the past year or so, only a handful have gone directly from college into a job. The vast majority have been struggling to find actual full time employment. The fact is there are way too many job seekers for the number of jobs out there. It does not matter what industry, or degree you have. People are hurting all over for work.

You're comment about 'resorting to the military' is frankly pretty insulting to myself, and the other men and women who have joined the military. The military is a great option for people of all levels. Sure there are many college grads with english or basket weaving degrees who have joined out of desperation, but the vast majority have joined(like myself) because they want to serve and also getting the experience and having a higher security clearance than what I currently have will also greatly help in getting a federal job(or defense industry if I go that route). I find it amusing when brainless people like yourself complain/comment about people being in/joining the military during a time of war. Well news flash....THAT IS WHAT A MILITARY DOES!!!! it fights wars, or prepares to fight wars.
I don't mean to be pushy, but what is your degree in? I am in accounting and there's plenty of opportunity here in Cleveland.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:38 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
You mean all those who moved to the "durty Souf" don't like the constant heat/humidity and the complete 180 in culture and lifestyle? I'm shocked! Seriously, people who moved for better jobs or better weather to states than have NEITHER should be coming back in droves! Not only is the grass NOT greener in some of these places, it's downright nasty and nobody cared to mention that little tid-bit of information.

This doesn't shock me in the slightest, and if anything, I expect to see a MASS migration of former-Northerners BACK to the North (up to 40%-50%.....for these exact reasons). Weather and taxes aren't everything, afterall.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,174,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffo View Post
I don't mean to be pushy, but what is your degree in? I am in accounting and there's plenty of opportunity here in Cleveland.
Exactly. I'm in engineering and we're looking for people too. My phone rings at least 3 times per week with potential offers within the immediate area. If your degree is crap, the chances are that your prospects will be also.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Most Cleveland expats I know here in Chicago love Cleveland, they're just in Chicago because they're more concerned with doing what's right for them at this current stage of their lives than they are about racking up too many CHP (Cleveland Hater Points) with the likes of you.
Good for them. So, if and when they come back, shall we all throw them a party?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
You obviously don't know anything about being unemployed in the current economic situation...
What. Is. Your. Degree. In?

Quote:
I also doubt that grads do well here with entry level, since those kinds of jobs are few and far between, especially when many companies are making "entry level" have 1-3 years experience...
We have full-time interns/co-ops making $20/hr. They have zero experience coming through the door.

Quote:
You're comment about 'resorting to the military' is frankly pretty insulting to myself, and the other men and women who have joined the military.
Well, pardon me, but that IS what you did. Is it not?

Quote:
The military is a great option for people of all levels. Sure there are many college grads with english or basket weaving degrees who have joined out of desperation, but the vast majority have joined(like myself) because they want to serve and also getting the experience and having a higher security clearance than what I currently have will also greatly help in getting a federal job(or defense industry if I go that route).
So, which is it? Did you join the military for the lack of a better option or did you join it because it was a great career move for you? If it's the latter, why are you whining about the current employment situation? You're out of the market.

Quote:
I find it amusing when brainless people like yourself complain/comment about people being in/joining the military during a time of war. Well news flash....THAT IS WHAT A MILITARY DOES!!!! it fights wars, or prepares to fight wars.
The purpose of the military is to provide national defense. The two, current wars have nothing to do with national defense, especially at this point. Furthermore, if there was a risk of being sent off into the Middle East as a newly enlisted recruit, I would think that would weigh heavily on the decision to enlist. Or, did you go into the military with the same cluelessness you went into your course of undergraduate studies with?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM

8 posts, read 10,117 times
I learned the hard way about moving for a job. I joined the military after high school and was stationed at Camp Lejeune N.C. Although I am proud to have served my country honorably and earn that title of 'United States Marine' and all, it was the biggest mistake of my life! I have played 'catch-up' since then, as my friends started college and began careers after high school. As much as I loved the Corp and the opportunities to do and see things that most Americans will never, it also limited my chances to be successful later in life. Employers like the military service record but they pay you based on the college degree, not your patriotism. Being a non-traditional student has its advantages and disadvantages, but working and attending school is difficult when you have life responsibilities to be accountable for. I have since vowed that I will never again relocate for a job, I chose where I wanted to move and sought employment accordingly. A quick look at available jobs in the Cleveland area and it looks like you could be whatever you wanted to be, if you were so inclined.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
What. Is. Your. Degree. In?

We have full-time interns/co-ops making $20/hr. They have zero experience coming through the door.

Well, pardon me, but that IS what you did. Is it not?

So, which is it? Did you join the military for the lack of a better option or did you join it because it was a great career move for you? If it's the latter, why are you whining about the current employment situation? You're out of the market.

The purpose of the military is to provide national defense. The two, current wars have nothing to do with national defense, especially at this point. Furthermore, if there was a risk of being sent off into the Middle East as a newly enlisted recruit, I would think that would weigh heavily on the decision to enlist. Or, did you go into the military with the same cluelessness you went into your course of undergraduate studies with?

Double Major Security and Intelligence and German with additional language knowledge

Well congrats for your company having interns, how many of those are getting hired on full time? If its a good percentage then great for your place of employment, but it's still in the minority. Internships in this market are tough to get into (like mine was) but many of those do get internships, don't get hired. Internships or not, it's still a horrid job market for grads, be it engineering or basket weaving.

No, I could have gone back to college and got another degree or get a masters, acquire debt (didn't have any from my undergrad, but imagine all the people who do and can't get anything), and get out and still be in a crap market and no job prospects.

It's a good career move, however I can complain all I want about my past experience since it's just like the millions of other people out there who are still unemployed/underemployed, since the job market is still not improving.

You're bringing your political view points into it, which makes you look even more brainless. As I said before the military fights wars, even if you don't agree with whatever war it may be. Since the military fights wars, when you join you should have the understanding that you have to be ready to fight on moments notice, so it really does not matter if you're at war now or not.

I see a high lack of understanding of military issues on your part, and an anti-military bias as well. Simply joining the military does not mean that you'll get shipped off to fight. It obviously depends on what job you have(something you obviously don't understand), and if you do get shipped off it still matters which job you have.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFromGeorgia View Post
I learned the hard way about moving for a job. I joined the military after high school and was stationed at Camp Lejeune N.C. Although I am proud to have served my country honorably and earn that title of 'United States Marine' and all, it was the biggest mistake of my life! I have played 'catch-up' since then, as my friends started college and began careers after high school. As much as I loved the Corp and the opportunities to do and see things that most Americans will never, it also limited my chances to be successful later in life. Employers like the military service record but they pay you based on the college degree, not your patriotism. Being a non-traditional student has its advantages and disadvantages, but working and attending school is difficult when you have life responsibilities to be accountable for. I have since vowed that I will never again relocate for a job, I chose where I wanted to move and sought employment accordingly. A quick look at available jobs in the Cleveland area and it looks like you could be whatever you wanted to be, if you were so inclined.
What was your MOS? Sorry that you think that you made a mistake, but there are tons out there who think that joining was the best thing for them since it helped them go to college, get some job skills, become successful, etc. As with anything in life, nothing is perfect, and just because it did not work out for you, does not mean that it's not a good option for other people.

Yeah I could be whatever I wanted to be in a perfect world and a perfect job market, too bad it's not like that. It's an employers market out there, and they can afford to be picky for whatever reason they want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland