Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:30 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,748 times

Advertisements

Good News...We are definately moving west bound in late april...I don't know what has happened to the east side, (at least Warrensville/Shaker) but it's not to great...We went out to dinner on the west side last night, and all of the shops, have move over there...The west side of cleveland has more to offer then some of the east side...Now keep in mind, (before I get more hate notes from people), I'm not talking about all of the east side...Beachwood, Chargrin Falls, Auroura, Richmond Heights, Pepper Pike, Chardon, and so on are very nice areas....I just feel more connected to the west side...It has more of that home like feeling...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Between your two choices, I think I prefer Avon Lake... IMHO it's prettier and has more residential character, and is, after all, right on the water... and there's nearby beach access at Huntington in Bay Village, which I'd bet would be fun for the kids.

Strongsville has lots more shopping, especially since South Park Mall opened in the '90s, but the downside is that it's brought lots more congestion to the area. Also, I lived in Strongsville for a year as a teenager, and my recollection is that the people were too socially conservative for my taste. Now, keep in mind that it was over 30 years ago so that may well have changed, especially since Strongsville has about twice the population it had then.

For recreation, however, Strongsville has direct access to a very nice section of the Metroparks.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Between your two choices, I think I prefer Avon Lake... IMHO it's prettier and has more residential character, and is, after all, right on the water... and there's nearby beach access at Huntington in Bay Village, which I'd bet would be fun for the kids.

Strongsville has lots more shopping, especially since South Park Mall opened in the '90s, but the downside is that it's brought lots more congestion to the area. Also, I lived in Strongsville for a year as a teenager, and my recollection is that the people were too socially conservative for my taste. Now, keep in mind that it was over 30 years ago so that may well have changed, especially since Strongsville has about twice the population it had then.

For recreation, however, Strongsville has direct access to a very nice section of the Metroparks.
I was going for that...Just what I wanted to hear...Love both areas, even Avon...I wasn't sure if Strongsville was as congested since they did get all those shops over there....I'll Stick to Avon, lol....We'll visit Strongsville..A lot, lol

Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Eh, the far west side is "cookie-cutter" just like Strongsville. Avon/Avon Lake will be just like Strongsville in 10 years.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:09 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Agree with Collector, except I'd say Avon Lake is already at Strongsville's level. Every try to get off 90 at 83 around rush hour? *shudder*

/Still doesn't understand why Rocky River hasn't made your short list. You seem to like areas with a lot of retail. River has it in spades but has about 1/3 less congestion then EITHER of those cities.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree with Collector, except I'd say Avon Lake is already at Strongsville's level. Every try to get off 90 at 83 around rush hour? *shudder*

/Still doesn't understand why Rocky River hasn't made your short list. You seem to like areas with a lot of retail. River has it in spades but has about 1/3 less congestion then EITHER of those cities.
Havn't ruled out rocky river....matter of fact, we wil be driving out there on wednesday because my husband has a doctors appointment

Old 07-19-2011, 12:55 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That intersection is definitely an omen of things to come.

Quote:
And, though lily white, it is certainly much closer to the diverse areas of the GCMA.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:07 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa12230 View Post
Good News...We are definately moving west bound in late april...I don't know what has happened to the east side, (at least Warrensville/Shaker) but it's not to great...We went out to dinner on the west side last night, and all of the shops, have move over there...The west side of cleveland has more to offer then some of the east side...Now keep in mind, (before I get more hate notes from people), I'm not talking about all of the east side...Beachwood, Chargrin Falls, Auroura, Richmond Heights, Pepper Pike, Chardon, and so on are very nice areas....I just feel more connected to the west side...It has more of that home like feeling...
Shaker Heights has changed a bit, but it's not terrible, still has a LOT to offer, and certainly should not be mentioned in the same sentence as "Warrensville."

Old 07-19-2011, 07:28 PM

306 posts, read 821,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Shaker Heights has changed a bit, but it's not terrible, still has a LOT to offer, and certainly should not be mentioned in the same sentence as "Warrensville."
I agree but even Warrensville isn't that bad. It's certainly declined in the past 10-20 years but it's hardly rampant with crime and vacant houses. The biggest issue in Warrensville is the school district. It's still a fairly middle class minority city. I think it has a bad image and that makes people think that it's worse than it is. That's a problem with most of the inner ring suburbs.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty711 View Post
I agree but even Warrensville isn't that bad. It's certainly declined in the past 10-20 years but it's hardly rampant with crime and vacant houses. The biggest issue in Warrensville is the school district. It's still a fairly middle class minority city. I think it has a bad image and that makes people think that it's worse than it is. That's a problem with most of the inner ring suburbs.
Certain parts of warrensville isn't bad at all...But after being away on the West Coast for 10 years, you come back, and there is a difference....Parts of the city has declined a lot...I see a lot of "forclosures" in parts of Shaker and University Heights...Still very nice though indeed...I took my family to the Conventry area which is still nice...We also went through shaker, richmond, and other areas...some parts haven't changed at all...But most have
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland