Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Does anyone have any info about Cleavland State University?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:46 AM

126 posts, read 339,292 times
What would you like to know about it? Which program(s) are you interested in?

It seems to be a good school. It's located right in the city of Cleveland and has a large campus. I know a couple people who study there (some are studying law, another person is getting a Masters in Urban Development.)

Old 12-30-2011, 08:44 AM

191 posts, read 442,705 times
It's a good school. I went there and got a good job after graduation and I know many others who have had the same success.

I saw you posted in another thread about which colleges are good. I think it comes down to what do you want to study? Then you can decide whether an urban or rural campus is better among other things, i.e. student life, athletics, etc.

Some advantages of CSU:
Growing school in the middle of a growing area of Cleveland.
Lots to do off campus because you're in the middle of a city.
Wide variety of majors with a good reputation in many.
Easy access to the Cleveland job market, which is also really helpful for internships and part-time jobs during school.
Excellent basketball team.
Tuition is slightly less than many other state schools.

Let me know if you have any further questions and any other specifics you could give and I could answer your questions more thoroughly.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 PM

367 posts, read 622,233 times
Very under rated school IMO, good law school. Some more specific questions would probably help you a bit home.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 AM

As we assist our eldest child in the college search, we are finding that there are many underrated universities in Ohio! Just looking to our neighboring state to the west has opened a veritable gold mine of seemingly excellent colleges with price tags that, for state schools, are less than our home state of PA! More people in PA, when looking at out of state schools, seem to go north to up-state NY colleges, east to New England, or south to the middle Atlantic and southern states. (Especially MD, DE, VA, WVA and the Carolinas)

Personally, I think they are missing out, and paying a lot more than needed!

We began checking out OH in general, because my son has a preference for an urban environment over rural universities. As a future art major, there are quite a few universities located in medium to lager cities, with programs that are of interest.

1. He had a hard time finding any information about residence life on the web site. Is CSU primarily a commuter school? We prefer that he lives on campus at least for freshman year.

2. Does anyone know anything about the Art department?

3. Do most students have or need cars? Another reason why we support his "urban decision" is our hope that he will not need a car, at least for the first couple of years.

4. At the same time, how spread out is CSU? Is it difficult to get around?

5. How large are Freshman classes?

6. Is there much support for Freshman? Are Profs. generally approachable?

7. Aside from Art, his other academic interests at this point, include History, Political Science, and Communications. Any information about those majors?

A bit about our son - He is not interested in Greek life, is interested in following in my footsteps and becoming involved in college radio, is a bit individualistic, but out going and friendly.
He enjoys music quite a bit (punk, alternative, Indie, Ska and a few others) are there many venues nearby that feature that sort of music?

How would you characterize the students and the general vibe there? Mainstream? Friendly? Reserved?

Is it a very competitive atmosphere, or a more relaxed one?

He tends to be a bit left of center politically, and does not eat meat - actually he is a strict vegan.
Will it be difficult for him to be on the meal plan?

How about off campus eats? Any vegan restaurants?

Any information about any of these topics would be of great help!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As we assist our eldest child in the college search, we are finding that there are many underrated universities in Ohio! Just looking to our neighboring state to the west has opened a veritable gold mine of seemingly excellent colleges with price tags that, for state schools, are less than our home state of PA! More people in PA, when looking at out of state schools, seem to go north to up-state NY colleges, east to New England, or south to the middle Atlantic and southern states. (Especially MD, DE, VA, WVA and the Carolinas)

Personally, I think they are missing out, and paying a lot more than needed!

We began checking out OH in general, because my son has a preference for an urban environment over rural universities. As a future art major, there are quite a few universities located in medium to lager cities, with programs that are of interest.

1. He had a hard time finding any information about residence life on the web site. Is CSU primarily a commuter school? We prefer that he lives on campus at least for freshman year.

2. Does anyone know anything about the Art department?

3. Do most students have or need cars? Another reason why we support his "urban decision" is our hope that he will not need a car, at least for the first couple of years.

4. At the same time, how spread out is CSU? Is it difficult to get around?

5. How large are Freshman classes?

6. Is there much support for Freshman? Are Profs. generally approachable?

7. Aside from Art, his other academic interests at this point, include History, Political Science, and Communications. Any information about those majors?

A bit about our son - He is not interested in Greek life, is interested in following in my footsteps and becoming involved in college radio, is a bit individualistic, but out going and friendly.
He enjoys music quite a bit (punk, alternative, Indie, Ska and a few others) are there many venues nearby that feature that sort of music?

How would you characterize the students and the general vibe there? Mainstream? Friendly? Reserved?

Is it a very competitive atmosphere, or a more relaxed one?

He tends to be a bit left of center politically, and does not eat meat - actually he is a strict vegan.
Will it be difficult for him to be on the meal plan?

How about off campus eats? Any vegan restaurants?

Any information about any of these topics would be of great help!
1. Cleveland State is transitioning from a commuter school to a residential, and many brand new dorms can online in 2011. Here's the info from the website:

Euclid Commons, Fenn Tower and Heritage Hall are Cleveland State’s on-campus housing communities. All communities offer fully furnished units, a great location, quiet study areas and other great amenities that create the right environment for your academic success.

Euclid Commons provides students a variety of living-learning opportunities. Students will find themselves in the center of campus activities and will also enjoy close proximity to a parking garage. Within the community, apartments are available fully furnished with cable television and high-speed Internet. Community features include study areas, game room, computer lab, and laundry center.

The historic Fenn Tower features a restored entry lobby and several remodeled ballrooms and common areas. Apartments are available fully furnished with cable television, high-speed Internet, and some with kitchenettes. Outside the units, community amenities such as a game room with billiards and big-screen television, fitness center, theater room, laundry center and convenience store merge the building's classic design with modern day function.

Located in a historic district on the southern edge of the CSU campus, Heritage Hall offers convenient, apartment-style living in 148 efficiences and one-and two-bedroom suites. Heritage Hall houses upperclass students only (minimum sophomore status or 21 years of age).

Apartments are available fully furnished with cable television and internet. Each unit has a private bath, full kitchen and is fully furnished. Heritage Hall is adjacent to the new South Garage and just one block away from the entertainment and sports that abound at the Wolstein Center.
All residents participate in a convenient food service plan and can choose a meal plan from a variety of options.

Requests for information and applications are available in the Department of Residence Life, located in the lobby of Fenn Tower, 1983 East 24th St. For more information, please call 216-687-5196, or visit www.csuohio.edu/services/reslife/.

2. I personally do not, but here is a link to their Facebook group -- may be a good place to ask questions: Cleveland State University Art Dept. - University - Cleveland, OH | Facebook

3. Students DO NOT need cars. CSU also get free passes (well built into the tuition) for the RTA...unlimited access to trains, buses, etc. The University sits on Euclid Ave, which is the main street heading east, having the Healthline. It is also in the Downtown network of the "trolleys" that are free loops Downtown.

4. CSU is very dense...especially compared to the other universities you have mentioned.

5. Freshman -- 1392
ARTICLE FROM 2011:
Cleveland State University has largest and smartest freshman class in its history | cleveland.com

6. Short answer is yes, especially if he lives on campus.

7. History History Department || Cleveland State University
Political Science Political Science Department - Cleveland State University
Communications School of Communication - Cleveland State University

Cleveland State radio -- WCSB Cleveland

Venues:
PEABODY'S (on campus): Peabody's Concert Club - Cleveland, OH
HOUSE OF BLUES (Downtown): Cleveland Tickets | HouseOfBlues.com
BEACHLAND BALLROOM: The Beachland Ballroom
GROG SHOP: Grog Shop | Cleveland Heights No. 1 Concert Venue for Live Music Shows in Northeast Ohio | 2785 Euclid Heights Blvd. Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44106 216.321.5588
NOW THAT'S CLASS: www.myspace.com/nowthatsclass

Atmosphere: probably more on the relaxed side in terms of classroom competitiveness.

Vegan: Flaming Ice Cube restaurant Vegan food, yarn, vegan cookbooks, vegan soap, vegan lotion, Noro yarns, knitting classes, vegan yarn, and other positivities!

CSU is located on the edge of Downtown Cleveland....there are eats everywhere.

Hope this helps!!

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM

It REALLY does help! It seems like a place he would enjoy! Will show him this afternoon.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

~ Sheena

Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It REALLY does help! It seems like a place he would enjoy! Will show him this afternoon.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

~ Sheena
If you need any info on Cleveland, Costello is the poster to ask.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM

23 posts, read 48,110 times
I go to CSU and I'll break down my likes and dislikes for you.

Love being in the city. No other campus in ohio puts you directly downtown. It's such a perfect location.
Love the dorms. I suggest you take a tour and ask to see Euclid Commons. They are amazing. It's like having your own apartment (own bedroom, kitchen, living room, bathroom)
Love the class sizes and most of the teachers there.
Love easy access to anywhere in the city with bus pass
Love the amazing amount of work being done to transform the campus from mainly commuter to residential.

Dislike that it still is somewhat a commuter school
Need a football team!
Need more dorms but that is changing

Overall I love it and I highly recommend a tour of the campus and make sure to see Euclid Commons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland