Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 9,389 times

Advertisements

I agree with many of the same reason previously stated: the people are down to earth regardless of the economic status, four seasons to enjoy, the sports fans aren't "fair weather" fans like some towns, and University Circle (Museums, Cultural Gardens, etc) can hold its weight against any city with similar areas. Overall, some of the other places are overrate. My ancestors are from the Atlanta region and I remember when it wasn't even mentioned as the "place to be". It was a ordinary town. That's not say that great things haven't happened there, but the big Developers have changed the "down home, southern culture" and it's lost a lot of charm. IMHO. Cleveland (from the outside looking in) is not far off from returning to its rightful place as a destination city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:19 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Just to add to my earlier post:

Sushi Rock in La Palace on Thursdays
CompuServe and Microcenter
The entirety of Chagrin Falls
Lakewood Park
Drunk volleyball in Whiskey Island before the organised teams arrived
Cedar Center before it was rebuilt. The bowling alley in particular, and one of the pubs never carded.
Tennis and handball at Brainard Park
Richmond Mall arcade
Fishing in Perry by the plant
Tremont art walk
West 6th and 9th from 04-09, really at their peak
Thirsty Parrot
Public Square Christmas lights
Sneaking in the JCC for years
Halloween parties in Euclid
Orange Jubilee
Shaker vs University School hockey
Salsa at Ceviche underneath Europa
Taking Jewish ethics classes at the then South Euclid Library
Mentor beach

Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Just to add to my earlier post:

Fishing in Perry by the plant
How do you fish in Perry by the nuclear power plant? By boat? How close are boaters allowed to the plant?

There aren't any nearby piers to my knowledge, and I have no clue how you would access the beach nearby the plant.

This is the only article about fishing that mentioned the Perry plant, and referenced the water discharge outlet several miles offshore.

Searching For Lake Erie Smallmouth

Old 01-08-2018, 09:11 AM

That's because I misremembered it. I was thinking Eastlake at the pier.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
That's because I misremembered it. I was thinking Eastlake at the pier.
I knew about the fishing pier at Sims Park in Euclid, but have never heard of the Eastlake fishing pier until now. According to the following site, the Eastlake Pier has been closed indefinitely.

http://coastal.ohiodnr.gov/lake/eastlake

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-08-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 02:31 PM

I heard about that. What a shame. Outside of eateries, it really seems like the region loses so much more than it gains.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I heard about that. What a shame. Outside of eateries, it really seems like the region loses so much more than it gains.
I don't agree with that sentiment. E.g., the Sims Park pier has been greatly improved. Ditto with the Cleveland lakefront parks now that they are operated by the Cleveland Metroparks after years of neglect by the state of Ohio, especially under the Kasich administration.

And think of the massive improvements to University Circle just in this century.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarblooder14 View Post
I agree with many of the same reason previously stated: the people are down to earth regardless of the economic status, four seasons to enjoy, the sports fans aren't "fair weather" fans like some towns, and University Circle (Museums, Cultural Gardens, etc) can hold its weight against any city with similar areas. Overall, some of the other places are overrate. My ancestors are from the Atlanta region and I remember when it wasn't even mentioned as the "place to be". It was a ordinary town. That's not say that great things haven't happened there, but the big Developers have changed the "down home, southern culture" and it's lost a lot of charm. IMHO. Cleveland (from the outside looking in) is not far off from returning to its rightful place as a destination city.
How long have you been living in Atlanta? Are you originally from Cleveland?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM

9 posts, read 9,389 times
I'm from Cleveland, but I've live other places since moving. Atlanta = 12 years.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:27 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarblooder14 View Post
it's funny and ironic that a certain group of people in "undesirable" cities hate the fact that their city hasn't been discovered by the masses, but you're living or lived in one of the "discovered" and you're saying you hate that it's been discovered lol. I say that Cleveland can become something if we change it. Some people complain about the same politicians being in forever; if you don't like them vote them out. Also, we gotta stop a lot of this self-hate we have as a city and have some pride; I'm speaking from experience because I'm battling through it. Yes, we can talk about our drawbacks but let's talk about our positives too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland