Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 38,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
I moved to Tucson from the Cleveland area after living there for 25 years. Knowing that we are all entitled to our own opinions about where we choose to live. So opinions aside let me share some facts with you. My last straw came about 3 years ago when my neighbors roof collapsed due to the weight of snow and distroyed his business while our vehicles were stuck in the driveway in the wet snow which was too heavy to plow or shovel. I should add that we had no power since the ice snapped the power lines and if it wouldn't have been for our friends comming to the rescue we would have frozen to death in our house having no alternative way of heating the place.
Of course, this isn't a common scenario but the winters in that area are brutal. The Lake Effect snow and windchills are no picnic. During the blizzards you will hear warnings on the radio recommending that motorists should remain home if at all possible and stay off the roads. I'm sure you've heard off Cabin Fever. You might as well say bye bye to to the sun and hello to overcast gray sky since that is the norm. The crime is a lot worse than Phoenix or Tucson with less people. Also, companies tend to close down and layoff many employees. It all depends on your line of work wheather you can secure a decent paying job. All of these are facts that you can double check by doing your own search on the internet. Now, for my opinion,if you hate living in Tucson, there isn't much hope for you enjoying the Cleveland area. Each city has it's good or bad points. If you think that Tucson has issues get ready for Cleveland's. Whew!
I have no bones about snow I moved here from an area of CO that was below zero for most of the winter and snowed up untill May. I personally never want to see triple digits again. Tucson is a very ugly city. Driving town Speedway or Broadway is depressing with the cheap looking rows of shops and the mix between snow birds driving 20 miles an hour and cars from Mexico diving recklessly. Not to mention the massive housing slump. I can hardly wait till I get to see snow and some inclimate weather that is more than a few inches of water!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 02:02 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,128 times
Default Enjoy :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokatz View Post
I have no bones about snow I moved here from an area of CO that was below zero for most of the winter and snowed up untill May. I personally never want to see triple digits again. Tucson is a very ugly city. Driving town Speedway or Broadway is depressing with the cheap looking rows of shops and the mix between snow birds driving 20 miles an hour and cars from Mexico diving recklessly. Not to mention the massive housing slump. I can hardly wait till I get to see snow and some inclimate weather that is more than a few inches of water!

In that case, may I suggest a scenic drive through any of the major streets of the eastside of Cleveland. You'll be thrilled to tears!

By the way, you won't get away from the housing slump in Ohio.

Enjoy :-)

Old 09-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Also here are statistics.These are the most dangerous and safest metros.

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Phoenix's metro is the 21st most dangerous while Cleveland's is not even in the top 25.So yes while Cleveland as a city is more dangerous then the city of Phoenix,Phoenix's metro is more dangerous then Cleveland's.

Well, I checked out the website and it also shows at the very top the 25 most dangerous cities and Cleveland is number 7 on the list and Phoenix is not even in the top 25. There is gazillion people in the Phoenix area and since crime is proportionate to the population of course it will make that list while Cleveland metro is too small to be listed in that category. Yes, the crime is spread out affecting some suburbs but you can say the same for Cleveland suburbs also. After all, East Cleveland is a suburb along with all the inner ring suburbs that border Cleveland. They are not very safe either. You have to drive a little further in each direction to the better areas like Seven Hills, Brecksville, Westlake etc. Not many people can afford these areas.

Have you ever been to Phoenix or Tucson? I live in the Tucson area and I have yet to find the hood (Cleveland scale). I have driven through South Tucson many times, a bad area according to the locals. Cleveland wins hands down in the hood department. According to the local news here, most of the crime is gang or drug related. If you're not into that, the worst that can happen is that your car might be stolen. That's nothing new to me since my car has been stolen in Cleveland area in the past.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:53 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
Quote:
Well, I checked out the website and it also shows at the very top the 25 most dangerous cities and Cleveland is number 7 on the list and Phoenix is not even in the top 25. There is gazillion people in the Phoenix area and since crime is proportionate to the population of course it will make that list while Cleveland metro is too small to be listed in that category. Yes, the crime is spread out affecting some suburbs but you can say the same for Cleveland suburbs also. After all, East Cleveland is a suburb along with all the inner ring suburbs that border Cleveland. They are not very safe either. You have to drive a little further in each direction to the better areas like Seven Hills, Brecksville, Westlake etc. Not many people can afford these areas.

Have you ever been to Phoenix or Tucson? I live in the Tucson area and I have yet to find the hood (Cleveland scale). I have driven through South Tucson many times, a bad area according to the locals. Cleveland wins hands down in the hood department. According to the local news here, most of the crime is gang or drug related. If you're not into that, the worst that can happen is that your car might be stolen. That's nothing new to me since my car has been stolen in Cleveland area in the past.
No I've never been to Phoenix or Tucson.Im just going by the facts,and the facts say Phoenix's metro is more dangerous.Most of the crime in Cuyahoga county happens in Cleveland.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
No I've never been to Phoenix or Tucson.Im just going by the facts,and the facts say Phoenix's metro is more dangerous.Most of the crime in Cuyahoga county happens in Cleveland.
Unless you have lived in both areas it is difficult to be objective. While most of the crime happens in the city of Cleveland you cannot possibly ignore the fact that it does spill over into the burbs in all American cities.
For example: Euclid, Ohio (burb of Cleveland)

Violent crime 203
Forcible Rape 18
Robbery 95
Agg. Assault 90
Property Crime 1788
Burglary 479
Larceny theft 1098
Vehicle theft 211
Arson 12

People have the tendency to believe that as long they stay away from city of Cleveland they are safer, maybe so, it depends which burb you can afford.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:49 PM

11 posts, read 38,029 times
Quote:
In that case, may I suggest a scenic drive through any of the major streets of the eastside of Cleveland. You'll be thrilled to tears!

By the way, you won't get away from the housing slump in Ohio.

Enjoy :-)
I don't intend to live in cleveland. I sorta feel your alot older than me and perhaps the cold and your age are a factor here. Tucson is probably a nice place for older people. But knowing that I can buy a house straight up in OH for what I'd make selling my house here excites me as an option.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:53 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
Quote:
Unless you have lived in both areas it is difficult to be objective. While most of the crime happens in the city of Cleveland you cannot possibly ignore the fact that it does spill over into the burbs in all American cities.
For example: Euclid, Ohio (burb of Cleveland)

Violent crime 203
Forcible Rape 18
Robbery 95
Agg. Assault 90
Property Crime 1788
Burglary 479
Larceny theft 1098
Vehicle theft 211
Arson 12

People have the tendency to believe that as long they stay away from city of Cleveland they are safer, maybe so, it depends which burb you can afford.
Im from Euclid,while its not the safest place in the world,its definetly not that bad either,although it is on the decline.I still really like Euclid though.Really the most dangerous suburb of Cleveland is East Cleveland.Using city-datas stats for 2005,I found that most crime does happen in Cleveland.The only suburbs city-data didn't have info for for 2005 is Beachwood,Fairview Park,Maple Heights,Pepper Pike,Richmond Heights,and Rocky River.
Murder Rape Robbery Assault Bugleries Theft AutoTheft
Cleveland- 109 478 3743 2086 8598 13145 6800
Cuyahoga- 118 588 4181 2632 11113 22487 8134
Percent- 92.4% 81.3% 89.5% 79.3% 77.4% 58.5% 83.6%
That Happens in Cleveland

So most of the violent crime,or crime in general occurs in Cleveland.So theres not very much crime at all spilling over into the suburbs of Cleveland.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokatz View Post
I don't intend to live in cleveland. I sorta feel your alot older than me and perhaps the cold and your age are a factor here. Tucson is probably a nice place for older people. But knowing that I can buy a house straight up in OH for what I'd make selling my house here excites me as an option.

I can assure you that I still have plenty of decades to my retirement. Unlike most people from the midwest that move to AZ to retire, I decided to move here while I am still young so that I can enjoy doing all sorts of outdoor activities. I absolutely love hiking the mountain trails around Tucson. I'm an outdoorsy kind of a person and I hated beeing stuck in the house because of inclement weather in the Cleveland area. We would make outdoor plans just to have them ruined by more rain!l feel more fit here since climbing mountain trails is more strenuous than flat park trails

I was glad that I was able to afford the move to Tucson area. Living in both areas I can be objective about the pros and cons of each place. Although cheaper housing maybe attractive, but you do get what you pay for, if you get my point. If you do buy a house in one of the better burbs you'll more than likely be fine. But I'm sure you'll want some culture, theatre etc. for which you will have to drive to crime ridden Cleveland for. Who wants to worry about that while trying to have some fun?

I was just being honest with you. If you're young and want to enjoy life and be active there are many places in the US that are cooler then Phoenix or Tucson and waaaaaay more vibrant than Cleveland. Seattle, Portland and Denver come to mind.....etc. Granted,more expensive than Cleveland. But that's how it goes.....it's worth it! There is a reason why people move out of the midwest other than retirement or nasty weather. The depressed economy and lack of good jobs,drives younger people out of the declining areas.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:08 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Check out Beachwood or South Euclid or Shaker Heights. Nice parts of Cleveland, all my relatives live in these parts. Good suburbs of Cleveland these places are.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:45 PM

208 posts, read 552,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelz78 View Post
Hi I am moving with my family to somewhere between East cleveland and mayfield heights and I can't seem to find homes for rent. I would like to know about neighborhoods in shaker heights south Euclid and east cleveland area. And what to expect. I'm 28 married and have kids I'm hispanic and my husbands caucasion and we're from AZ and really have no idea what to expect from Ohio. Hubby grew up in NY and I grew up in UT but would like more info from people who actually live in the areas were looking. My family is moving to mayfield heights so I don't want to be too far from there so any area around there would be fine. Thank you
Hello,

My husband and my little boy moved to Shaker Heights from New Mexico. Since we are a interracial couple (I am African American and my husband is Caucasian) I wanted to live in an integrated community. Unfortunately, unlike NM and AZ the Hispanic population here is very small in Ohio. Although people who are from here think it is diverse it is not. I think you will like Shaker due to the beautiful homes and good school system. It is quiet and peaceful like NM but not as beautiful. There are no mountains and the winters are harsh compared to the southwest. If you have questions please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland