Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
"Super-rich" and IKEA just don't seem to belong in the same sentence.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. Most people I know who like IKEA do so because it's both stylish and cheap. It's not really high end at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
I live very close to the Ikea here in Cincy and I don't see the draw...none of the furniture is comfortable, it all looks too modern, and appears cheaply made to me. The store is a huge maze and seems always crowded.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I live very close to the Ikea here in Cincy and I don't see the draw...none of the furniture is comfortable, it all looks too modern, and appears cheaply made to me. The store is a huge maze and seems always crowded.
It's all about personal taste/preference. Some people like modern, obviously. If you don't like it, don't shop there, but cheap, aesthetic, good quality furniture and housewares do appeal to a lot of people.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
IKEA is very very cheap. Thats why i go their all the time in cincy. I remeber when all cincy had was value funiture

Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
In Buffalo and Rochester, the options are Pittsburgh and Toronto. In Cleveland, the options are Pittsburgh and Detroit. In Columbus, the options are Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. In Indianapolis, the options are Chicago and Cincinnati. In Las Vegas, the options are Los Angeles and Phoenix. Other cities with IKEAs within a few hours are Milwaukee (Chicago), Raleigh (Charlotte), Jacksonville (Orlando), San Antonio (Austin), and Nashville and Birmingham (Atlanta). And if they build an IKEA in Missouri, then I'll bet you Kansas City gets it instead of St. Louis for two reasons:

1. St. Louis is basically equidistant from Chicago and Kansas City.
2. Right now, the closest IKEAs to Kansas City are in Dallas and Denver.
Hey, you might be right!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:10 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times
You know where would be a good place for one? Steelyard commons. It's a unique setting, right off the freeway, there's still a lot of land there, and the businesses there are doing well. It's also halfway between the east and west sides. What do you all think?

Last edited by Cleverfield; 11-13-2012 at 01:30 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,348 times
Ikea is not all its cracked up to be.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ikea is not all its cracked up to be.
Their furniture is stylish, inexpensive, but from what I hear, not very durable. I certainly wouldn't expect their pieces to hold up as long as the Scandinavian furniture I bought at places like Workbench and Design Union many years ago.

I've only visited Ikea once... and never purchased anything from there, except for a plate of Swedish meatballs from their cafeteria, which were pretty decent, actually.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Unfortunately, I doubt there is much chance of it, since there is already one in Pittsburgh and one near Detroit. I kinda wonder why they didn't put one in Columbus instead of Cincinnati, personally. You'd draw from the entire state in addition to all those OSU kids that would go there to furnish their dorms and apartments!
In cincinnati the location of the IKEA is off a major interstate 4-5 lanes in each direction and still has heavy traffic, plus the area is very wealthy you draw customers from columbus, dayton, indianapolis, louisville and even farther. Plus the only thing cincy had was value funiture.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 PM

294 posts, read 515,589 times
The first IKEA in North America was opened in the early 1970's in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. The furniture was also made in the halifax Metro area at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland