Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 12:22 AM

9 posts, read 56,755 times

Advertisements

I am helping my son find a reasonably priced home and Cleveland is one of the areas we have been looking at foreclosed properties. What areas would be dangerous to live in is my main concern but if anyone knows what the job market is like that could be helpful as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 AM

570 posts, read 1,820,688 times
Make sure he avoids East Cleveland. I bet there a plenty of foreclosed properties there, but I woulndn't suggest moving there unless it bordered Cleveland Heights.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:24 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,515 times
Avoid the east side of Cleveland proper in general, parts of the west side are at time not much better, but for the most part, their fairly better. Also depends on what race you are. East side tends to be black, while it varies on the west side. Parts are white, inner west side is Puerto Rican, and other areas are black too. The relatively good areas left in Cleveland are only West Park around Fairview Park, and Old Brooklyn.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:59 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce3001 View Post
I am helping my son find a reasonably priced home and Cleveland is one of the areas we have been looking at foreclosed properties. What areas would be dangerous to live in is my main concern but if anyone knows what the job market is like that could be helpful as well.
The 44105 zip code in Cleveland (Slavic Village) is leading the nation in foreclosures. But I wouldn't recommend living there and that goes for the rest of the city. Westpark neighborhood might be your best bet as far as the city of Cleveland is concerned. If you can find a foreclosure in the suburbs of Cleveland that would be a much safer option. Job market is not very good in the Cleveland area unless your son is in the medical field or is relocating there for a specific job. Manufacturing jobs are decreasing for the most part.
I would suggest that your son needs to secure a job in Cleveland before he relocates.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
The relatively good areas left in Cleveland are only West Park around Fairview Park, and Old Brooklyn.
I disagree somewhat. Cleveland's Edgewater neighborhood is still pretty nice... and there are parts of Old Brooklyn that aren't that great.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,927,090 times
Avoid the whole Eastside of Cleveland and the city of East Cleveland. Most of the Westside isnt that nice either, but the far westside isnt too bad. Ohio city might be the only place thats close to downtown thats safe to live and even Ohio city isnt too good.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:55 PM

9 posts, read 56,755 times
Default thanks to everyone

The information was very helpful and appreciated

Old 12-01-2007, 01:55 PM

302 posts, read 1,101,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I disagree somewhat. Cleveland's Edgewater neighborhood is still pretty nice... and there are parts of Old Brooklyn that aren't that great.
Every neighborhood has their bad and good areas. As for Stable areas, its really become OB, and Westpark, and those areas are divided too. Sure Edgewater area is good. Thats where the expensive houses are, especially those right next to the park, with their own little street overlooking the lake. but if you end up driving 1-2 minutes south, if that, you'll cross the tracks and be into a not so good area.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:56 PM

15 posts, read 87,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
but if you end up driving 1-2 minutes south, if that, you'll cross the tracks and be into a not so good area.
That's called Cudell, and a.) it's not part of Edgewater, and b.) it's not that bad, especially because development has been spilling over to it from Edgewater and Detroit-Shoreway in recent years.

Really, the only bad parts of the west side are in the triangle formed by Lorain, Dennison, and Fulton, and that's because those areas are where the trouble makers were pushed because of gentrification in the northern parts of Detroit-Shoreway, Ohio City, and Tremont. Even that delineation is a generalization.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:34 AM

10 posts, read 35,722 times
Avoid anything that ends in Heights. Cleveland heights, bedford heights, the cities have outragous Point of sale inspections and still cannot control ever increasing crime. To be honest the best place is downtown cleveland right now. The place to flip is probably ...Parma. Be sure to get a home at half of the original appraised value and NEVER buy a two bedroom home if you are going to flip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: