Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 07:19 PM

493 posts, read 639,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
Beachwood doesn't have lots of new restaurants. Not compared to many of Cleveland neighborhoods where there's one opening per week basically. Also Beachwood doesn't have a lot going on. You must be cray cray. Beachwood place and Legacy are both struggling compared to Crocker Park. There's a reason why Apple left Legacy. Crime, theft, and safety have all gone down hill at beachwood place. I know this from people that work there that the past year and half has been rough.
Crime a concern? In Beachwood? That's just funny man. Beachwood hardly has anything serious happening there, and certainly not as much crime as Cleveland Heights. Cleveland Heights probably has at least twice as much crime as Beachwood. And lots of new restaurants are opening in Beachwood. I just got 3 different coupons and ads for different restaurants in Beachwood just this week. Half off a steak at Red, some new Italian place opening soon on Richmond Road that I forgot the name of, and even a coupon for a free beer at that new Granite City place. Beachwood has the same type of restaurants as in Cleveland Heights, but in newer buildings. The only difference is that in Cleveland Heights, they are in 70 year old street front buildings, while in Beachwood they are in plazas and malls or Legacy Village. But, Cleveland Heights has more of these "One location, One chef" type of restaurants, but over all, Beachwood and Cleveland Heights have relatively about the same number of restaurants, bars and nightlife.

Where you heard of crime at Beachwood Place, I don't know. But I can certainly tell you that there is not one vacant store there and the stores are very expensive. Nothing like Cleveland Heights' Severance Center or University Heights' University Square, which are old and half or more empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
They moved from LG to Eaton. #TheMoreYouKnow
Eton is about 1500 feet from the Beachwood border. Most people consider Eton a part of Beachwood rather than Woodmere. Some people who go to Eton don't even know what Woodmere is.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:26 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Beachwood Place Mall sees several shoplifting incidents | cleveland.com

Shoplifters raid stores: Beachwood police blotter | cleveland.com

These are the articles Ctownballr27 was probably referring to. I wouldn't say that Beachwood as a community is going downhill on account of this shoplifting however, at least not yet. The articles don't mention where the shoplifters arrested are from or their economic backgrounds. What this calls for though are different tactics in security and fighting crime regardless of economic backgrounds.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
Lol shoplifting. Hide your women and children, IMO.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:36 AM

98 posts, read 208,381 times
Default Cleveland Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyricsman View Post
Hey guys,
How are you?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but i'm you know much
more then me on Cleveland

I'm looking to buy a house in Cleveland suburbs with my wife,
and we weren't sure about the areas.. so i've decided to explore a little bit.

What are the best areas in Cleveland suburbs that suit for middle class family?
How I can get info about the schools, places to hangout, crime percentage and ect. ?

Thank you

Every year Cleveland Magazine releases an issues that ranks the suburbs on all of that kind of stuff. Look for their website online, I'm pretty sure you can get backissues. I don't know exactly when the new issue ranking the suburbs will coe out but I think it's June or July.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Beachwood Place Mall sees several shoplifting incidents | cleveland.com

Shoplifters raid stores: Beachwood police blotter | cleveland.com

These are the articles Ctownballr27 was probably referring to. I wouldn't say that Beachwood as a community is going downhill on account of this shoplifting however, at least not yet. The articles don't mention where the shoplifters arrested are from or their economic backgrounds. What this calls for though are different tactics in security and fighting crime regardless of economic backgrounds.
In the world we're in, no where is safe anymore. Solon has occasional crime. Beachwood has occasional crime. Mayfield Heights has occasional crime, and so on. Just because of a couple of shoplifters in a busy mall doesn't mean that the city it self, or even the mall are getting any worse. There is not one store, one fast food chain or one mall that hasn't ever had some sort of crime take place.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
How so? Cleveland Heights isn't the safest, but is generally safe. Solon's schools are better than Cleveland Heights'. Beachwood has lots of new restaurants and things to do. Shaker Heights has average schools, but not as good as Solon or Beachwood. Solon and Beachwood have better taxes than Cleveland Heights or Shaker Heights. Where do you see a wrong fact?
For starters:

1) Cleveland Heights is a large city and certain areas are much safer than other areas. No poster here would recommend to a newbie that they should buy a home in one of the unsafe areas.

2) Once again, the schools aren't necessarily better. The students themselves might be (because of their family backgrounds), but you seem unable to grasp that nuance.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:23 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Crime a concern? In Beachwood? That's just funny man. Beachwood hardly has anything serious happening there, and certainly not as much crime as Cleveland Heights. Cleveland Heights probably has at least twice as much crime as Beachwood. And lots of new restaurants are opening in Beachwood. I just got 3 different coupons and ads for different restaurants in Beachwood just this week. Half off a steak at Red, some new Italian place opening soon on Richmond Road that I forgot the name of, and even a coupon for a free beer at that new Granite City place. Beachwood has the same type of restaurants as in Cleveland Heights, but in newer buildings. The only difference is that in Cleveland Heights, they are in 70 year old street front buildings, while in Beachwood they are in plazas and malls or Legacy Village. But, Cleveland Heights has more of these "One location, One chef" type of restaurants, but over all, Beachwood and Cleveland Heights have relatively about the same number of restaurants, bars and nightlife.

Where you heard of crime at Beachwood Place, I don't know. But I can certainly tell you that there is not one vacant store there and the stores are very expensive. Nothing like Cleveland Heights' Severance Center or University Heights' University Square, which are old and half or more empty.
The other difference, of course, is that Beachwood's restaurants and retail are on the fringes of the suburb. Hell, you're even claiming Granite City and the Apple Store, which is ridiculous. There are residents of Cleveland Heights that can get to Granite City by car more quickly than some residents of Beachwood. Cleveland Heights has unique restaurants in the heart of the city, restaurants that many of CH's residents can get to more quickly by foot than most Beachwood residents can get "its" restaurants by car. I think there's a clear difference and this is something unique about living in Cleveland Heights that is different than Beachwood. Living in Beachwood does not give one an advantage in accessing local restaurants over someone living in Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, Pepper Pike, etc. Living in Cleveland Heights does often give one an advantage in accessing its local restaurants.

As for Beachwood Place, let me put it like this: It has one or two stores that attract crime and a clientele that brings down the atmosphere of the mall. Beachwood Place has always had a certain level of crime like any mall, but since these stores have been added, it's been notably worse.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
For starters:

1) Cleveland Heights is a large city and certain areas are much safer than other areas. No poster here would recommend to a newbie that they should buy a home in one of the unsafe areas.

2) Once again, the schools aren't necessarily better. The students themselves might be (because of their family backgrounds), but you seem unable to grasp that nuance.
A suburb shouldn't have safe and unsafe parts.

You need to understand that the students enrolled in a school contribute to how good a school is. In Solon, most students do well on their tests and learn very well, and the students who don't do as well are required to have extra help to get their grades together. Solon's schools don't let students not do homework. When my son doesn't do his homework, he is required to come in before school starts and do his homework, and if he doesn't do that, then he has to do it during lunch. Either way his homework gets finished and he gets full credit.

Cleveland Heights doesn't do this with their students. The students who don't care about school slack off and get bad grades and have little help from the teachers, as a friend of my wife's told my wife that this happened with her son who got a D on a test.

Overall, Solon does a lot better on the OAA's than Cleveland Heights does.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The other difference, of course, is that Beachwood's restaurants and retail are on the fringes of the suburb. Hell, you're even claiming Granite City and the Apple Store, which is ridiculous. There are residents of Cleveland Heights that can get to Granite City by car more quickly than some residents of Beachwood. Cleveland Heights has unique restaurants in the heart of the city, restaurants that many of CH's residents can get to more quickly by foot than most Beachwood residents can get "its" restaurants by car. I think there's a clear difference and this is something unique about living in Cleveland Heights that is different than Beachwood. Living in Beachwood does not give one an advantage in accessing local restaurants over someone living in Lyndhurst, Mayfield Heights, Pepper Pike, etc. Living in Cleveland Heights does often give one an advantage in accessing its local restaurants.

As for Beachwood Place, let me put it like this: It has one or two stores that attract crime and a clientele that brings down the atmosphere of the mall. Beachwood Place has always had a certain level of crime like any mall, but since these stores have been added, it's been notably worse.
The restaurants are on the main roads, not the "fringes". Never did I say anything about the Apple store in Beachwood (The one that doesn't exist)

Some restaurants in Cleveland Heights people can walk to, but only if they live in the small close together houses on the side streets of Lee Road. Cleveland Heights is giant in size, so it can take well over 10 minutes to drive to a restaurant in Cleveland Heights from Cleveland Heights. People who live in the neighborhoods off Cedar Road can walk to a restaurant in Beachwood, but what's the point? Walk through the weather in nice clothes across a busy intersection, then all the way across a parking lot? I would rather drive there.

What does accessing a local restaurant mean? What, are the Cleveland Heights restaurants exclusive for Cleveland Heights residents only?

What stores in Beachwood Place "attract crime"? What does that even mean anyways? Attract crime. Ha. Are you implying that Beachwood Place is full of thug shops? Beachwood Place has more expensive stores in it than any other mall in Cleveland does. The managers of Beachwood Place wouldn't allow a store that would bring crime and hoodlums to their mall, especially if it wasn't profitable, to open there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland