Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,040,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
If Cleveland had good schools then more families would live in Cleveland, making the neighborhoods safer and worth more money.
True but it's not a necessity. Plenty of US cities have poor school districts, but have high property values and healthy urban neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:35 PM

493 posts, read 642,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
True but it's not a necessity. Plenty of US cities have poor school districts, but have high property values and healthy urban neighborhoods.
That's not the case in Cleveland. Cleveland needs better schools for a better city.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,149,779 times
Quote:
That's not the case in Cleveland. Cleveland needs better schools for a better city.
And it's working on it, but I think in addition to the efforts to improve the system as a whole it's important that Cleveland offers schools of choice, that parents or students who want to succeed can choose to go. That's the model that New York City uses, and it works well, despite the fact that their overall system is not very good. By offering these options it enables middle class families who value education to stay there.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,197,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Cleveland collector, don't make assumptions about me. because it just makes me think you're stupid.
All I would have to do is consider the source.

Quote:
you have no idea what I do and where I have been but I can assure you I know the city inside and out...
The evidence is lacking, but ok.

Quote:
by the way, your argument would mean downtown is half west side and half east side.
That's fine because, using Ontario as a line of demarcation, some of downtown is the west side. It's not nearly half, but go ahead and count it. It still doesn't change the argument.

Quote:
which is asinine my opinion. does that mean when I'm on Broadway Avenue I'm really in New York City?
When you're on Broadway Ave. in NYC, yes, it does. When you're on Broadway Ave. in Cleveland, it means you're on the near east side of the city.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Just because Ohio City is in the same longitude as downtown, doesn't mean that everywhere on the longitude is downtown. Don't make it more complicated.
Ohio City isn't on the same Longitude as downtown. What I said was that Tremont is directly south of downtown (which it is). Don't let yourself make it more complicated. I can see you're struggling with basic direction here, but don't let that get you flustered.

Quote:
CSU is technically downtown. Check on Google.
CSU is between EAST 17th and EAST 26th. That means it is on the EAST side. It is very, very simple. Again, if you can claim that Tremont is the West side, you can only do so because there are streets named WEST 10th, WEST 11th, WEST 14th, etc. within it. There is not one iota of Tremont soil which lies west of downtown -- hey, here's an idea -- Check it on Google!!!

Quote:
Hough and Fairfax are pretty much complete disasters, except for the area around Euclid Avenue. Cleveland Clinic is right by University Circle and because the main hospital has been in the same spot for over a hundred years, means that Cleveland Clinic can't really move. And besides, the multi billion dollars didn't just come from the Hough-Fairfax location (Which people from the surrounding areas go to) but the money also comes from other locations, so it does not rely 100% on the main campus.
The same thing can be said about some of the west side neighborhoods with the glaring exception of that they don't have a multi-billion dollar medical campus sitting within them. And, uh, since when does it matter where the money comes from?

Quote:
I haven't heard of a South 45th Street before. Explain that to me.
Have you heard of East 17th Street? No? Ok, I'll give you a clue: look on the east side.

Quote:
Ahh. E.123rd and Cedar Glen are not in Little Italy, but are in Cleveland Heights. Little Italy is sort of a half diamond from Euclid Avenue down E.119th Street to Cornell Avenue, sort of up Edgehill Road and then up E.123rd Street. 1500 feet on Mayfield Road (Main Street in Little Italy) and about 3000 something feet top to bottom. Not that big.
Hey, I got an idea, check on Google to see how wrong you are about that entire paragraph.

Quote:
Cookie Cutter? Half a million dollar cookie cutter? Shall I not mention the 800,000 something identical houses in the city of Cleveland that were built 100 years ago for factory workers that are worth about $50,000 and have asbestos and cracks in the foundation and what not? They were built cheap and quickly, so they are cheap. The houses in the suburbs are usually custom built and have a lot of work in them. Plastic pipes are a lot better than metal pipes because they don't erode and can be easy replaced. New houses are also cleaner and have less problems.
Lol! Spoken like a true, clueless suburbanite (plastic better than copper... I'm sorry 'metal' ...f'n priceless!!!). I paid 500 large for this thing so it has to be high quality, right?! I mean, it has granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances!!! Never mind the crappy OSB subfloor, Celotex instead of plywood exteriors, PVC water lines, extension cords with plastic J and O/L boxes. This thing is QUALITY!!!

95% of what is built in suburbia these days is cookie-cutter garbage. I'm sorry, half million dollar cookie cutter garbage.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:16 PM

493 posts, read 642,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Ohio City isn't on the same Longitude as downtown. What I said was that Tremont is directly south of downtown (which it is). Don't let yourself make it more complicated. I can see you're struggling with basic direction here, but don't let that get you flustered.

CSU is between EAST 17th and EAST 26th. That means it is on the EAST side. It is very, very simple. Again, if you can claim that Tremont is the West side, you can only do so because there are streets named WEST 10th, WEST 11th, WEST 14th, etc. within it. There is not one iota of Tremont soil which lies west of downtown -- hey, here's an idea -- Check it on Google!!!

The same thing can be said about some of the west side neighborhoods with the glaring exception of that they don't have a multi-billion dollar medical campus sitting within them. And, uh, since when does it matter where the money comes from?

Have you heard of East 17th Street? No? Ok, I'll give you a clue: look on the east side.

Hey, I got an idea, check on Google to see how wrong you are about that entire paragraph.

Lol! Spoken like a true, clueless suburbanite (plastic better than copper... I'm sorry 'metal' ...f'n priceless!!!). I paid 500 large for this thing so it has to be high quality, right?! I mean, it has granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances!!! Never mind the crappy OSB subfloor, Celotex instead of plywood exteriors, PVC water lines, extension cords with plastic J and O/L boxes. This thing is QUALITY!!!

95% of what is built in suburbia these days is cookie-cutter garbage. I'm sorry, half million dollar cookie cutter garbage.
I checked and double checked Google Maps and I was right for everything. You really have to check it out. Downtown ends at the freeway. Little Italy is a half diamond. A small half diamond.

Metal decays and rusts away. Have you ever seen inside an old metal pipe from an early 1900's house? Yuck. Plastic costs less and is easier to install/replace. It also doesn't rot or rust. Why you care what kind of material your water runs through when you take a shower, I don't know.

Inner city houses are falling apart, have pipe/water problems, have decaying walls, have cracked floors, have asbestos and have old wiring, with the exception of the 50 something renovated 100 year old houses. I saved myself a few headaches and bought a brand new house with new appliances and new technology that is 3 times the size of an inner city house and has enough land to build at least 6 inner city houses. My bad.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 AM

11,077 posts, read 12,525,986 times
Quote:

Inner city houses are falling apart, have pipe/water problems, have decaying walls, have cracked floors, have asbestos and have old wiring, with the exception of the 50 something renovated 100 year old houses. I saved myself a few headaches and bought a brand new house with new appliances and new technology that is 3 times the size of an inner city house and has enough land to build at least 6 inner city houses. My bad.
I currently live in a building from the 1800s. I doubt your McMansion will be around in the 2100s. But we shall see.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:40 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,387,969 times
According cleveland collector playhouse sq. Is eastside.. We better change our advertisements so people don't think it's downtown.. because Cleveland collector is right and we are all wrong. in fact do we even have a downtown Cleveland collector considering most of the streets have an "E" in front of them.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:55 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,149,779 times
Quote:
I checked and double checked Google Maps and I was right for everything. You really have to check it out. Downtown ends at the freeway. Little Italy is a half diamond. A small half diamond.

Metal decays and rusts away. Have you ever seen inside an old metal pipe from an early 1900's house? Yuck. Plastic costs less and is easier to install/replace. It also doesn't rot or rust. Why you care what kind of material your water runs through when you take a shower, I don't know.

I'm confused, weren't you just saying that all the houses in the inner-city it were an antique and need to be saved? And by the way, most old plumbing is copper, copper does not corrode the same way that iron or steel does. The Statue of Liberty is copper; yes, it has oxidized and turned green, but it is still standing after all these years. do you think if it was made of plastic it would still be standing like it is? It's pretty well-known that copper is a much more durable material than plastic.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Did Google Maps v.RERE say that the streets on the east side say "E. ##" or did they say: "This street is E. 14th, but the street is really just downtown and the "E." should not be construed in any way with the word EAST or the EASTerly direction!!! This was an oversight by the city planners a in 1918. The street should really be named D. 14th... their bad, not ours."

And I suppose Google Maps v.RERE still says that the intersection of Murray Hill and Cedar Glen is in Cleveland Heights?

Quote:

My house was built in 1887. It is about 2200 square feet. It has no plumbing issues nor does it have decaying walls or cracked floors. It has no asbestos. It is also not falling apart. The floors don't even squeak. In part, this is due to the fact that the foundation is 18" thick, quarried sandstone with fired clay tile French drains which carry the accumulated foundation drainage away. The supply plumbing is copper which is the absolute best material for pressurized water. The floors are tongue-and-groove floor boards overlayed with like hardwood finish layer at 90 degrees. The drainage plumbing is either iron or fired clay with brass feeders. It has been rewired and insulated to modern standards. It gets new appliances when they need to be replaced. Oh, yeah, it also has been standing and liveable for 127 years.

Your McMansion is built out of a 5" loose-cast concrete foundation (because it only takes 2-3 guys to form and pour it) with a half-assed footer, OSB, and Celotex. The footer probably has no drainage -- but the downspout tails are REALLY long!!!. The OSB "flake board" sub flooring already squeaks. When your house eventually freezes, all of your plastic supply pipes will burst causing thousands in water damage. That is, if one of the press-fit pressure fittings doesn't blow first. These materials are not used because they are better. They are used because they are cheaper and a cinch to install. The only reason a house like that costs $500k is because of the corporate GC who built it made a hefty profit while scrimping on materials. That's the name of the new house game -- has been for years. Unless you built it or GC-ed it yourself using quality materials, it's a gingerbread house that is designed to be bulldozed in about 50 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
According cleveland collector playhouse sq. Is eastside.. We better change our advertisements so people don't think it's downtown.. because Cleveland collector is right and we are all wrong. in fact do we even have a downtown Cleveland collector considering most of the streets have an "E" in front of them.
Most people are smart enough to figure out that E. 14th and Euclid means EAST 14th and Euclid, present company excluded apparently as they like to make their own rules based on imaginary lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: